Re: Auto rotate JPEGs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Janko, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Janko

    Janko Guest

    Hi!

    Here is a (short) summary of the responses.

    > > I am trying to find a software that would automatically rotate my
    > > JPEG photos by EXIF Orientation tag. The only solution I could
    > > find by now is Photoshop, but unfortunately it "forgets" some of
    > > the (probably non standard) fields. Other programs (like
    > > IrfanView) do rotate the image, but do not update the EXIF
    > > Orientation tag.

    > ACDSee has an auto rotate function... and it's a great graphics
    > viewer too!

    It has an auto rotate function and it can perform batch
    operations and "corrects" the EXIF Orientation flag.
    Unfortunately (like Photoshop) forgets some of the EXIF fields
    (Miscellaneous and Maker Note).

    > ... try IrfanView. It can do the same for free.

    IrfanView is an excellent viewer and does jpeg loss-less
    rotation, but not based on EXIF Orientation. When manually
    rotating images it saves all the EXIF fields, but does not update
    the Orientation.

    > exifautotran is an open source Unix script which does this:
    >
    > http://jpegclub.org/exif_orientation.html
    >
    > Note: It is important to use the Exif patched jpegtran version
    > for this to work (see Exif Patch Page). ABC-View is a Windows
    > application which uses this procedure:
    >
    > http://www.abc-view.com/articles/article5.html

    Actually ABC-View does this all. You can select multiple files
    and use the Rotate using EXIF flag command. It also preserves all
    EXIF information.

    And as pointed out jpegclub's stuff is able to do this. Is there
    a way to run exifautotran on Windows?

    Regards,

    Janko

    Janko, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Janko wrote:

    > > exifautotran is an open source Unix script which does this:
    > >
    > > http://jpegclub.org/exif_orientation.html
    > >
    > > Note: It is important to use the Exif patched jpegtran version
    > > for this to work (see Exif Patch Page). ABC-View is a Windows
    > > application which uses this procedure:
    > >
    > > http://www.abc-view.com/articles/article5.html

    > Actually ABC-View does this all. You can select multiple files
    > and use the Rotate using EXIF flag command. It also preserves all
    > EXIF information.
    >
    > And as pointed out jpegclub's stuff is able to do this. Is there
    > a way to run exifautotran on Windows?

    "exifautotran" is a simple example for use on Unix (Linux).
    Probably under Windows it is not so simple ;-).
    Under Windows people would probably rather develop and prefer
    a GUI application like ABC-View which integrates the function
    based on the proper jpegtran code.
    This is more elaborate of course...

    Regards
    Guido