    thought of having to take a test. They are not able to obtain
    certification, and all the while some sophomore in high school is
    walking around with several of them."
    Geomancer, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Geomancer

    J Alex Guest

    "Geomancer" <> wrote
    > Yes, real world experience IS important.

    I'd take an 'A' student with no experience who just graduated with an MS in
    Computer Science over a 'C' student with 4 years experience.

    In my experience (with co-workers and employees) the best predictor of
    success in the computer industry has been a college degree with good grades
    in math, computer science, or engineering. And even better if a graduate
    degree. Some people without that are very good, but almost without
    exception, the very best I've worked with have had a BS or MS in a
    scientific field. I haven't found any certification program to be a
    worthwhile predictor.
    J Alex, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Geomancer

    Geomancer Guest

    > I'd take an 'A' student with no experience who just graduated with an MS in
    > Computer Science over a 'C' student with 4 years experience.

    Hear Hear!!!!

    > In my experience (with co-workers and employees) the best predictor of
    > success in the computer industry has been a college degree with good grades
    > in math, computer science, or engineering. And even better if a graduate
    > degree.

    Yes indeed.

    Remarkably, those with an MS in Math or an MBA make exceptional Oracle
    DBAs.

    Personally, I think any Oracle certification should include a degree
    in a quantitative major (CS, engineering, math).
    Geomancer, Jun 24, 2003