Re: aurora borealis

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Aug 14, 2010.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    <> wrote:
    : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/no...ights_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html

    What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're stars,
    but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was taken through
    a dirty car window.

    They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I couldn't see
    anything. Too far south, I suppose.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 14, 2010

  2. In article <>,
    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    > <> wrote:
    > : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/northern_lights_aug_2010/slides/northern_li
    > : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
    >
    > What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're stars,
    > but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was taken through
    > a dirty car window.
    >
    > They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I couldn't
    > see
    > anything. Too far south, I suppose.
    >
    > Bob

    I never saw them in western Massachusetts, but one January I was
    visiting some friends in Bar Harbor, Maine and the aurora put on a
    spectacular light show. We spent the night on the porch, wrapped in
    goose down snow suits, just marveling at the amazing variations and
    movement.

    I'm sure I had a camera, but I was much too captivated in the moment to
    worry about taking pictures.
    Attila Jozsef, Aug 15, 2010

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:56:44 -0400, Attila Jozsef
    <> wrote:
    : In article <>,
    :
    : > <> wrote:
    : > : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/northern_lights_aug_2010/slides/northern_li
    : > : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
    : >
[...]

    Actually I saw them from the Mass Pike on my way from Hartford to Tanglewood
    many years ago. But by far the most spectacular display I ever saw was in
    North Carolina, of all places. There was a lot of pink and orange, and the
    streaks extended to almost directly overhead.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 15, 2010
  4. Robert Coe

    peter Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:56:44 -0400, Attila Jozsef
    > <> wrote:
    > : In article<>,
    > : Robert Coe<> wrote:
    > :
    > :> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
    > :> <> wrote:
    > :> : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/northern_lights_aug_2010/slides/northern_li
    > :> : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
    > :>
    > :> What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're
    > :> stars, but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was
    > :> taken through a dirty car window.
    > :>
    > :> They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I
    > :> couldn't see anything. Too far south, I suppose.
    > :>
    > :> Bob
    > :
    > : I never saw them in western Massachusetts, but one January I was
    > : visiting some friends in Bar Harbor, Maine and the aurora put on a
    > : spectacular light show. We spent the night on the porch, wrapped in
    > : goose down snow suits, just marveling at the amazing variations and
    > : movement.
    > :
    > : I'm sure I had a camera, but I was much too captivated in the moment to
    > : worry about taking pictures.
    >
    > Actually I saw them from the Mass Pike on my way from Hartford to Tanglewood
    > many years ago. But by far the most spectacular display I ever saw was in
    > North Carolina, of all places. There was a lot of pink and orange, and the
    > streaks extended to almost directly overhead.

    Don't know that I would try to view then on the Mass Pike. Too many
    nutty drivers.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Aug 15, 2010