Re: aurora borealis

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. David J Taylor, Aug 13, 2010

  2. On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:19:44 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
    >watermark - see:
    >
    > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=44348&src=eoa-iotd
    >
    > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/44000/44348/ISS023-E-58455_lrg.jpg
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    Damn, look at all the noise in that image. I get better images of aurora
    with my superzoom cameras. Someone should teach that idiot how to use a
    camera properly, there was no need for ISO6400 on aurora. Even dim aurora.

    Here's one I took up in BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) when exploring
    the region for a few months. (JPG degradation intentional.)

    <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4888693180_aeea456d7e_z.jpg>

    Climbed out of my sleeping bag to go take a piss in the middle of the
    night, and my dark-adapted eyes saw this rather dim aurora (note all the
    magnitude 4 and 5 stars easily visible through it). Sleepy and blurry-eyed,
    I grabbed the camera and handheld it on top of a stump to see what that
    superzoom could do. First time trying to capture aurora with that
    particular camera. I was impressed. Got tons more pics of aurora since
    then, after I realized how well it could image such dim subjects,
    noise-free, so easily.
    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 13, 2010

  3. David J Taylor

    Robert Coe Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
    : >watermark - see:
    : >
[...]

    The only part of that yarn that I believe is that you once got up in the
    middle of the night to take a piss.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 14, 2010
  4. On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:18:08 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:21:42 -0500, Superzooms Still Win <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:19:44 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    >: <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
    >: >watermark - see:
    >: >
    >: > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=44348&src=eoa-iotd
    >: >
    >: > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/44000/44348/ISS023-E-58455_lrg.jpg
    >: >
    >: >Cheers,
    >: >David
    >:
    >: Damn, look at all the noise in that image. I get better images of aurora
    >: with my superzoom cameras. Someone should teach that idiot how to use a
    >: camera properly, there was no need for ISO6400 on aurora. Even dim aurora.
    >:
    >: Here's one I took up in BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) when exploring
    >: the region for a few months. (JPG degradation intentional.)
    >:
    >: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4888693180_aeea456d7e_z.jpg>
    >:
    >: Climbed out of my sleeping bag to go take a piss in the middle of the
    >: night, and my dark-adapted eyes saw this rather dim aurora (note all the
    >: magnitude 4 and 5 stars easily visible through it). Sleepy and blurry-eyed,
    >: I grabbed the camera and handheld it on top of a stump to see what that
    >: superzoom could do. First time trying to capture aurora with that
    >: particular camera. I was impressed. Got tons more pics of aurora since
    >: then, after I realized how well it could image such dim subjects,
    >: noise-free, so easily.
    >
    >The only part of that yarn that I believe is that you once got up in the
    >middle of the night to take a piss.
    >
    >Bob

    I'm sorry that your life hasn't been as adventurous and wondrous as mine.
    And that you haven't seen and photographed as amazing things as I have all
    my life. But that's your own sorry excuse of a life and pathetic fault. Try
    to not take out your regret of a life on those who haven't lived as
    sheltered and wuss of a life as you have lived. You've made that quite
    obvious.
    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 14, 2010
  5. On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:33:20 -0500, George Kerby <>

    Superzooms Still Win, Aug 14, 2010