Re: ATX power supply question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Charlie Bress spewed forth:
    > I am working on an older HP Pavilion Model 6830.
    > The first complaint is that it would not turn on. I pressed the on
    > switch several times and it fired up.
    > Now it will not shut down. Even pulling out the line cord doesn't
    > reset it. Plug the cord back in and it is still on.
    >
    > There is nothing else attached. No keyboard, no monitor. I am just
    > going by the sound of the fan and front panel LED.
    >
    > The power on switch goes to the mobo through a connector. Unplugging
    > this connector and testing the switch it tests good for continuity.
    > It is a momentary contact switch which tells me that there is latch
    > someplace. Is this latch somewhere on the mobo or is it in the p/s
    > itself?
    > Advice please.
    >
    > Charlie

    The 'latch' as you call it is on the motherboard. The PS always supplies a
    trickle of current to the motherboard for the ability to sense the power
    switch, the modem, the LAN, etc. for a "turn me on" signal. That's not
    exactly the correct technical terms, but you know what I mean <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 15, 2006

  2. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Charlie Bress spewed forth:
    >> I am working on an older HP Pavilion Model 6830.
    >> The first complaint is that it would not turn on. I pressed the on
    >> switch several times and it fired up.
    >> Now it will not shut down. Even pulling out the line cord doesn't
    >> reset it. Plug the cord back in and it is still on.
    >>
    >> There is nothing else attached. No keyboard, no monitor. I am just
    >> going by the sound of the fan and front panel LED.
    >>
    >> The power on switch goes to the mobo through a connector. Unplugging
    >> this connector and testing the switch it tests good for continuity.
    >> It is a momentary contact switch which tells me that there is latch
    >> someplace. Is this latch somewhere on the mobo or is it in the p/s
    >> itself?
    >> Advice please.
    >>
    >> Charlie

    > The 'latch' as you call it is on the motherboard. The PS always supplies a
    > trickle of current to the motherboard for the ability to sense the power
    > switch, the modem, the LAN, etc. for a "turn me on" signal. That's not
    > exactly the correct technical terms, but you know what I mean <g>

    Okay. Now how can I determine if the p/s is not supplying the current or it
    is and the mobo is not responding.
    In one case it is a $30 fix and in the other it is scrap it time. This old
    box is not worth putting too much into it.
    Charlie Bress, Mar 15, 2006

  3. "Charlie Bress" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Charlie Bress spewed forth:
    >>> I am working on an older HP Pavilion Model 6830.
    >>> The first complaint is that it would not turn on. I pressed the on
    >>> switch several times and it fired up.
    >>> Now it will not shut down. Even pulling out the line cord doesn't
    >>> reset it. Plug the cord back in and it is still on.
    >>>
    >>> There is nothing else attached. No keyboard, no monitor. I am just
    >>> going by the sound of the fan and front panel LED.
    >>>
    >>> The power on switch goes to the mobo through a connector. Unplugging
    >>> this connector and testing the switch it tests good for continuity.
    >>> It is a momentary contact switch which tells me that there is latch
    >>> someplace. Is this latch somewhere on the mobo or is it in the p/s
    >>> itself?
    >>> Advice please.
    >>>
    >>> Charlie

    >> The 'latch' as you call it is on the motherboard. The PS always supplies
    >> a trickle of current to the motherboard for the ability to sense the
    >> power switch, the modem, the LAN, etc. for a "turn me on" signal. That's
    >> not exactly the correct technical terms, but you know what I mean <g>

    > Okay. Now how can I determine if the p/s is not supplying the current or
    > it is and the mobo is not responding.
    > In one case it is a $30 fix and in the other it is scrap it time. This old
    > box is not worth putting too much into it.

    New news.
    .
    I took an old p/s that is not a mini and won't fit the box and plugged it
    into the mobo and one drive to draw some power.
    This supply also came on when the power cord was plugged in and it too could
    not be shut down with the power button.
    Unless someone has a better idea I am almost convinced that it is a mobo
    problem.

    Charlie
    Charlie Bress, Mar 15, 2006
  4. On 2006-03-15, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Charlie Bress gibbered insanely:

    snip
    > New news.
    > .
    > I took an old p/s that is not a mini and won't fit the box and plugged it
    > into the mobo and one drive to draw some power.
    > This supply also came on when the power cord was plugged in and it too could
    > not be shut down with the power button.
    > Unless someone has a better idea I am almost convinced that it is a mobo
    > problem.
    >
    > Charlie

    That would certainly appear to be the case. You could take the mobo
    out and inspect it under a good light for anything obvious, like bad
    foil, burned spots, bulging capacitors, or the like. At least you'd
    have some sort of an idea if it could be fixed or if it's scrap out
    time.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I like cats, preferably fried, broiled, or stewed, with a side of fries, a loaf
    The Old Sourdough, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    The Old Sourdough spewed forth:
    > On 2006-03-15, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Charlie Bress gibbered
    > insanely:
    >>

    > snip
    >> New news.
    >> .
    >> I took an old p/s that is not a mini and won't fit the box and
    >> plugged it into the mobo and one drive to draw some power.
    >> This supply also came on when the power cord was plugged in and it
    >> too could not be shut down with the power button.
    >> Unless someone has a better idea I am almost convinced that it is a
    >> mobo problem.
    >>
    >> Charlie
    >>

    > That would certainly appear to be the case. You could take the mobo
    > out and inspect it under a good light for anything obvious, like bad
    > foil, burned spots, bulging capacitors, or the like. At least you'd
    > have some sort of an idea if it could be fixed or if it's scrap out
    > time.

    Yeah - agreed. It doesn't sound good.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 16, 2006