Re: ATX case rear panel inserts

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Mathews, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:04:21 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Mainlander wrote:
    >
    >> I am considering upgrading my PC by fitting a new motherboard in the
    >> existing ATX case, which is a high quality case. The problem is that ATX
    >> motherboards unlike the old Baby AT board have various I/O connectors
    >> mounted on the board. These connectors can vary from board to board and
    >> so cases use metal inserts within a cutout to allow for the different
    >> connector configurations in the same case.
    >>
    >> Do motherboards come with these inserts or is it necessary to purchase
    >> them from the case manufacturer.

    >No, they come with the cases.
    >You could always buy a new case since they only cost about $50.

    Yes utter Crap ones..

    Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Robert Mathews

    Jay Guest

    Robert Mathews wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:04:21 +1000, Jay <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mainlander wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am considering upgrading my PC by fitting a new motherboard in the
    >>> existing ATX case, which is a high quality case. The problem is that ATX
    >>> motherboards unlike the old Baby AT board have various I/O connectors
    >>> mounted on the board. These connectors can vary from board to board and
    >>> so cases use metal inserts within a cutout to allow for the different
    >>> connector configurations in the same case.
    >>>
    >>> Do motherboards come with these inserts or is it necessary to purchase
    >>> them from the case manufacturer.

    >>No, they come with the cases.
    >>You could always buy a new case since they only cost about $50.

    > Yes utter Crap ones..
    >
    > Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    What is a "decent" case?

    I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    Doesn't really have to do very much at all.

    I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.

    What does a "decent" case do?

    Jay, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    "Jay" wrote
    | What does a "decent" case do?

    The same as a non-decent case, only better :)

    Depends on what your doing with it.

    I have a nice case, if I tinker in it, I dont get cuts as it has rolled
    edges.

    I also have a decent case that has sharp edges, the reason why I class it as
    a decent case is that it sits in my living room as a PVR type device, and
    doesnt look out of place.

    I also have a decent case that was cheap and small, it holds my AP for
    wireless... and does so silently(the main reason for it to be considered
    decent)

    T.N.O, Aug 9, 2003
  4. Robert Mathews

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bh2mdf$t5288$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Robert Mathews wrote:

    > >>No, they come with the cases.
    > >>You could always buy a new case since they only cost about $50.

    > > Yes utter Crap ones..
    > >
    > > Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    > What is a "decent" case?
    >
    > I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    > Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    >
    > I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    > to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    >
    > What does a "decent" case do?

    - removable drive bays
    - removable front panel
    - mounting points for additional fans
    - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    - slide out motherboard tray
    - no sharp edges

    Mainlander, Aug 9, 2003
  5. Robert Mathews

    Jay Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <bh2mdf$t5288$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> Robert Mathews wrote:

    >> > Yes utter Crap ones..
    >> >
    >> > Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    >> What is a "decent" case?
    >>
    >> I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    >> Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    >>
    >> I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    >> to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    >>
    >> What does a "decent" case do?

    > - removable drive bays
    > - removable front panel
    > - mounting points for additional fans
    > - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    > - slide out motherboard tray
    > - no sharp edges

    Even a cheap one has all those features.

    Jay, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    reply is inline.

    "Jay" wrote
    | > Depends on what your doing with it.
    | What else can you do with a case?

    Bad joke.

    | > I have a nice case, if I tinker in it, I dont get cuts as it has rolled
    | > edges.
    |
    | I cannot remebre the last time I had to touch my case.
    | Sometime last year I think.

    Some people tinker with their PC's
    | > I also have a decent case that has sharp edges, the reason why I class
    it
    | > as a decent case is that it sits in my living room as a PVR type device,
    | > and doesnt look out of place.
    |
    | But you don't get many visitors so what does it matter
    | what it looks like?

    your a fucking egg Jay, no wonder you get hassled so much in here.

    T.N.O, Aug 9, 2003
  7. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    "Jay" wrote
    | >> What does a "decent" case do?
    | >
    | > - removable drive bays
    | > - removable front panel
    | > - mounting points for additional fans
    | > - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    | > - slide out motherboard tray
    | > - no sharp edges
    |
    | Even a cheap one has all those features.

    Give us a link to a cheap case with all of that, by cheap I'll give you up
    to $40NZ, as this is what I consider to be cheap.

    T.N.O, Aug 9, 2003
  8. Robert Mathews

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:37:19 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Robert Mathews wrote:

    >>>No, they come with the cases.
    >>>You could always buy a new case since they only cost about $50.

    >> Yes utter Crap ones..
    >>
    >> Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    >What is a "decent" case?
    >
    >I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    >Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    >
    >I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    >to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    >
    >What does a "decent" case do?

    Well, there's the number of bays, the types of bays, fan positions,
    slot positions (blanks in the case). There's relative positioning of
    bays and MB so that putting in a CD or something doesn't involve
    dismantaling the whole thing or impossible contortions of the fingers,
    the type of switches, and a whole heap of other things. Some cases are
    murder to work inside of.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 10, 2003
  9. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    "Enkidu" wrote
    | Cliff
    | --
    |
    | Signed and sealed with Great Seal of the Executive
    | Council of the Internet, by The Master of The Net.

    nice sig.

    T.N.O, Aug 10, 2003
  10. Robert Mathews

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O wrote:

    > "Jay" wrote
    > | >
    > | > - removable drive bays
    > | > - removable front panel
    > | > - mounting points for additional fans
    > | > - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get
    > | > in) - slide out motherboard tray
    > | > - no sharp edges
    > |
    > | Even a cheap one has all those features.
    > |

    > Give us a link to a cheap case with all of that, by cheap I'll give you up
    > to $40NZ, as this is what I consider to be cheap.

    You have to go to Sydney computer fairs to get them.
    Most of the cases are well known brands like Macase, AOpen etc, or clones.

    Jay, Aug 10, 2003
  11. Robert Mathews

    T.N.O Guest

    "Jay" wrote
    | You have to go to Sydney computer fairs to get them.

    oh ok, so $400 for the flight, $40 for he case, $440... I think I'll just
    grab a decent case from NZ.

    | Most of the cases are well known brands like Macase, AOpen etc, or clones.

    Well known... Macase?

    T.N.O, Aug 10, 2003
  12. Robert Mathews

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O wrote:

    > | But you don't get many visitors so what does it matter
    > | what it looks like?
    >
    > your a fucking egg Jay, no wonder you get hassled so much in here.

    You have no sense of humor.

    Jay, Aug 10, 2003
  13. Robert Mathews

    cowboyz Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > > Give us a link to a cheap case with all of that, by cheap I'll give you

    up
    > > to $40NZ, as this is what I consider to be cheap.

    > You have to go to Sydney computer fairs to get them.
    > Most of the cases are well known brands like Macase, AOpen etc, or clones.

    You may notice the group is NZ.comp. Most people would consider $400
    return for travel to buy a $40 case excessive.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 10, 2003
  14. On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:41:18 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bh2mdf$t5288$-berlin.de>,
    >says...
    >> Robert Mathews wrote:

    >> > Yes utter Crap ones..
    >> >
    >> > Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    >> What is a "decent" case?
    >>
    >> I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    >> Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    >>
    >> I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    >> to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    >>
    >> What does a "decent" case do?

    >- removable drive bays
    >- removable front panel
    >- mounting points for additional fans
    >- removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    >- slide out motherboard tray
    >- no sharp edges

    Hold 5 HD with front mounted fan, plus decent gauge metal

    Robert Mathews, Aug 10, 2003
  15. On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:30:45 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Mainlander wrote:
    >
    >> In article <bh2mdf$t5288$-berlin.de>,
    >> says...

    >>> What is a "decent" case?
    >>>
    >>> I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    >>> Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    >>>
    >>> I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    >>> to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    >>>
    >>> What does a "decent" case do?

    >> - removable drive bays
    >> - removable front panel
    >> - mounting points for additional fans
    >> - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    >> - slide out motherboard tray
    >> - no sharp edges

    >Even a cheap one has all those features.

    THen Please list them..

    Robert Mathews, Aug 10, 2003
  16. Robert Mathews

    Jay Guest

    T.N.O wrote:

    > "Jay" wrote
    > | You have to go to Sydney computer fairs to get them.
    >
    > oh ok, so $400 for the flight, $40 for he case, $440... I think I'll just
    > grab a decent case from NZ.
    >
    > | Most of the cases are well known brands like Macase, AOpen etc, or
    > | clones.
    >
    > Well known... Macase?

    http://www.macase.com

    If you haven't heard of macase then you dont know much
    about cases.

    Jay, Aug 10, 2003
  17. Robert Mathews

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bh30il$uavkm$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > In article <bh2mdf$t5288$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...

    > >> What is a "decent" case?
    > >>
    > >> I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    > >> Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    > >>
    > >> I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    > >> to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    > >>
    > >> What does a "decent" case do?

    > > - removable drive bays
    > > - removable front panel
    > > - mounting points for additional fans
    > > - removable side panel (don't have to remove the whole cover to get in)
    > > - slide out motherboard tray
    > > - no sharp edges

    > Even a cheap one has all those features.

    Rubbish. How many cases have the side panel that lifts off? Most cases
    you have to lift off the whole outer shell (both sides and top) together.

    Mainlander, Aug 10, 2003
  18. Robert Mathews

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "Jay" wrote
    > | You have to go to Sydney computer fairs to get them.
    >
    > oh ok, so $400 for the flight, $40 for he case, $440... I think I'll just
    > grab a decent case from NZ.
    >
    > | Most of the cases are well known brands like Macase, AOpen etc, or clones.
    >
    > Well known... Macase?

    Yes Macase is pretty well known, good brand.

    Mainlander, Aug 10, 2003
  19. Robert Mathews

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:37:19 +1000, Jay <> wrote:
    >
    > >Robert Mathews wrote:

    > >> Yes utter Crap ones..
    > >>
    > >> Any sort of decent cases are at least $100 and up.

    > >What is a "decent" case?
    > >
    > >I mean mine just sits on the floor and contains a motherboard.
    > >Doesn't really have to do very much at all.
    > >
    > >I mean you could just screw the motherboard (and power supply)
    > >to a bit of chipboard for all it matters.
    > >
    > >What does a "decent" case do?
    > >

    > Well, there's the number of bays, the types of bays, fan positions,
    > slot positions (blanks in the case). There's relative positioning of
    > bays and MB so that putting in a CD or something doesn't involve
    > dismantaling the whole thing or impossible contortions of the fingers,
    > the type of switches, and a whole heap of other things. Some cases are
    > murder to work inside of.

    But old AT cases or LPM cases would be more likely in that category than
    others. ATX stuff is pretty good, but only because we have bigger cases
    where the motherboard isn't obstructed by any of the drive bays.

    Although I was working on an old Itec P100, and I was please to discover
    by accident that the drive bays can be lifted out, easier than unscrewing
    the motherboard tray.

    Mainlander, Aug 10, 2003
  20. Robert Mathews

    cowboyz Guest

    > Rubbish. How many cases have the side panel that lifts off? Most cases
    > you have to lift off the whole outer shell (both sides and top) together.

    What u on about? All my machines I have built I have built with the
    cheapest crappiest case I could find cause I really don't care what it looks
    like and I haven't seen a case that lifts off on both sides since the AT
    cases.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    cowboyz, Aug 10, 2003