Re: ATTN: Aardvark they are locking in on your Linux security blanket.You can run, but you can't hi

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mr. Fabulous wrote:

    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723

    In 2007 Oct, there was a MS sponsored symposium.

    Friday, 5 October, 2007 - ... speaking at a Microsoft-sponsored security
    symposium at Santa Clara University.

    > Phishers getting better organised,

    So this is a report on some MS FUD from 2.5 years ago?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2010

  2. Re: ATTN: Aardvark they are locking in on your Linux security blanket. You can run, but you can't hide from it.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mr. Fabulous wrote:
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723

    > In 2007 Oct, there was a MS sponsored symposium.
    >
    > Friday, 5 October, 2007 - ... speaking at a Microsoft-sponsored
    > security symposium at Santa Clara University.
    >
    >> Phishers getting better organised,

    > So this is a report on some MS FUD from 2.5 years ago?

    Apparently so. <g>

    "Dear Linux user,
    Please go to this web site, and give us your system's root password.
    Also, allow us access through your firewall."

    Sounds like, "You have a very secure house - built like a fortress - but
    please, I'd like a copy of the key to your front door."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2010

  3. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 05:37:19 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mr. Fabulous wrote:
    >
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/

    CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723

    > In 2007 Oct, there was a MS sponsored symposium.
    >
    > Friday, 5 October, 2007 - ... speaking at a Microsoft-sponsored security
    > symposium at Santa Clara University.

    I stopped reading after I got to that point.

    >> Phishers getting better organised,

    > So this is a report on some MS FUD from 2.5 years ago?

    How quickly do you think any vulnerabilities extant on that day were
    patched?

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  4. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:53:09 -0400, Mr. Fabulous wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >> CD0B9D97EE6FE411CC25736A000E4723
    >>> In 2007 Oct, there was a MS sponsored symposium.
    >>>
    >>> Friday, 5 October, 2007 - ... speaking at a Microsoft-sponsored
    >>> security symposium at Santa Clara University.
    >>>

    >> I stopped reading after I got to that point.

    >>> So this is a report on some MS FUD from 2.5 years ago?

    >> How quickly do you think any vulnerabilities extant on that day were
    >> patched?
    >>

    > With more exploits coming in the future, it seems they are after Linux
    > now and coming hard.

    Let 'em come, DUH-ane. I'm better locked down than you and I'm highly
    unlikely (read 'never going') to give anyone either my root password or
    any of the account passwords on my systems.

    > A patch means nothing to the user that's already
    > been hit.

    The voice of a Window$ user speaking, DUH-ane?

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  5. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:13:03 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

    > SNIP

    Admit it, DUH-ane. I'm a careful and reasonably well-informed user, and it
    would take quite a bit of effort on someone's part, with my assistance
    (like that'll ever happen), to even temporarily compromise my Linux
    systems. Just for giggles I might see if I can compromise one of the user
    accounts. Any idea where I can find a Linux rootkit?

    I'm certainly not one of those pointy-clicky Windroids you're so used to.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010
  6. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:20:51 -0400, Mr. Fabulous wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:13:03 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:
    >>
    >>> SNIP

    >> Admit it, DUH-ane. I'm a careful and reasonably well-informed user, and
    >> it would take quite a bit of effort on someone's part, with my
    >> assistance (like that'll ever happen), to even temporarily compromise
    >> my Linux systems.

    > SNIP

    > I am tired of conversing with you Ardavark for now.
    >
    > <bye>

    Translation: once again my unwarranted arrogance has caused me to
    underestimate someone else. It's time for DUH-ane to run away.

    <http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/faq08-topp.html>

    Aardvark, Apr 22, 2010