Re: ATI distributor ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
    > 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

    Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
    difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's easier to
    get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.

    Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 9, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:48:44 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >>> Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
    >>> 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

    >> Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
    >> difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's
    >> easier to get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.
    >>
    >> Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?

    >Um, it's an ATI (AMD) Radeon 9600 which is a pretty major board. I assume
    >they don't OEM it from some minor manufacturer ...
    >
    >Here's a pic :
    >http://ati.amd.com/designpartners/media/pc/popups/radeon9600proboard.asp
    >
    >The fan mounting points are the tricky bit, otherwise any old fan would
    >do.....
    >
    >geoff

    This will do the job:
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=141
    http://www.notebookcity.co.nz/product/zalman-vf700-alcu-aluminiumcopper-video-card-cooler

    Nighthawk, Jun 9, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >>> Anybody know who this is ? I need a replacement fan for a Radeon
    >>> 9600 that is not a common mounting size, it seems.

    >> Is it just ATI or is it branded (Asus, XFX, Gainward...)? It can be
    >> difficult to get replacement fans for graphics cards, often it's
    >> easier to get complete replacement heatsink/fan assemblies.
    >>
    >> Can you put a pic up somewhere and link to it?

    > Um, it's an ATI (AMD) Radeon 9600 which is a pretty major board. I
    > assume they don't OEM it from some minor manufacturer ...

    Ummm, I own several ATI graphics cards and they're all branded, e.g. I have
    a Gainward ATI 9000 and a Sapphire ATI HD3650. However ATI, unlike nVidia
    (TTBOMK), do make and sell direct to the public (or rather, usually, OEMs).
    That's why I asked. Sorry to be so obtuse, I should have just realised you
    had an ATI factory card.

    > Here's a pic :
    > http://ati.amd.com/designpartners/media/pc/popups/radeon9600proboard.asp
    >
    > The fan mounting points are the tricky bit, otherwise any old fan
    > would do.....

    How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the pic.
    Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between mounting pins?

    It's a pretty basic GPU cooler. If you can't find a fan for it I'd suggest
    getting the whole heat sink and fan assembly. The two through-pins are a
    standard mounting system for GPUs. If you can't find one locally I'm sure
    I've seen one for only a couple dollars at www.dealextreme.com but the
    site's not playing ball for me right now. I order from them quite often and
    it generally takes 7 - 14 days for the item to arrive from Hong Kong.
    Considering the saving over some locally sourced stuff it's worth the wait.
    In the meantime you can point a case/CPU fan at the heatsink. (Hot-glue is a
    wonderful thing, as are cable-ties.)

    I have a couple recessed fans like that only they're off Leadtek GeForce 4
    ti4200's and I think that they may be a little large. Also they have
    three-wire fans (but you don't need to connect the speed-sensor wire). They
    seem to have a blade diameter of ~45mm and are screwed into the ali HS. 40mm
    square screw holes, ~65.5mm diagonal. I can post one to you if it fits and
    you want to do a home repair. (The cards died due to capacitor failure and
    frankly the price of new caps Vs the value of the cards...)

    TTFN,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 9, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the

    >> pic. Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between
    >> mounting pins?

    > Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
    > difference to most generic fans.

    Are you talking about fan mounts or heatsink mounts?

    > The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.
    >
    > I guess I could try DSE where I got it some years ago, but what would
    > you think my chances are of a sensible reply ;-) .... ?

    Umm, nil?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> How does the fan mount? It's not immediately obvious to me from the

    >> pic. Plastic push-pins? What diameter is the fan? Distance between
    >> mounting pins?

    > Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
    > difference to most generic fans.
    >
    > The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.

    http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1010
    http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1011 - link to manufacturer
    site says it will fit.

    EMB, Jun 10, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> geoff wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Two screw mounts, not exactly at the corners - which is the point of
    >>> difference to most generic fans.
    >>>
    >>> The Zalman one may work given elongated slots for mount variations.

    >> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1010
    >> http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=FANEVE1011 - link to manufacturer
    >> site says it will fit.

    > Thanks, if the Zalman doesn't fit, this one certainly will.

    Now DealExtreme is reachable again here are some examples from the many that
    they stock:

    That last one is very inexpensive and looks like it would do the job well.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 11, 2009