Re: ATA to replace SPA-3000?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Christian, May 10, 2008.

  1. Christian

    Christian Guest

    > My SPA-3000 has never crashed, but echo cancellation has always been a bit
    > poor (particularly at the remote caller's end), and dependent on audio
    > gain levels set in the poorly-documented, over-complex web GUI.

    Martin,

    Maybe you tried this already, and maybe you're already tired of trying stuff
    with the SPA-3000 already, but you might want to try different line
    impedance configurations in the SPA-configuration, this does have an effect
    on the echo canceller.

    Trying another analog phone also sometimes help, the local echo canceller
    (which is the one that causes the echo at the remote site) sometimes can't
    cope very well with specific (cheaper) phones, or a lot of phones parallel.

    Christian

    Christian, May 10, 2008

  2. Christian

    Nick Guest

    Christian wrote:
    >> My SPA-3000 has never crashed, but echo cancellation has always been a bit
    >> poor (particularly at the remote caller's end), and dependent on audio
    >> gain levels set in the poorly-documented, over-complex web GUI.

    > Martin,
    >
    > Maybe you tried this already, and maybe you're already tired of trying stuff
    > with the SPA-3000 already, but you might want to try different line
    > impedance configurations in the SPA-configuration, this does have an effect
    > on the echo canceller.
    >
    > Trying another analog phone also sometimes help, the local echo canceller
    > (which is the one that causes the echo at the remote site) sometimes can't
    > cope very well with specific (cheaper) phones, or a lot of phones parallel.
    >
    > Christian

    I see lots of similar problems with my SPA-3002. Most of the time it is
    OK and then it seems to start playing up, both on VOIP and PSTN. The ATA
    is so complicated it is always possible to say other setting will fix
    the problem. I don't know how many hours I have spent trying to get it
    right.

    My solution will be to get a Siemens C475IP or maybe the similar SNOM
    M3. I'm only holding back while I try and work out what P2P is doing to
    mess my router up.

    Nick, May 10, 2008

  3. Christian

    steveybar Guest

    "Martin Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Christian wrote:
    >>> My SPA-3000 has never crashed, but echo cancellation has always been a
    >>> bit poor (particularly at the remote caller's end), and dependent on
    >>> audio gain levels set in the poorly-documented, over-complex web GUI.

    >> Martin,
    >>
    >> Maybe you tried this already, and maybe you're already tired of trying
    >> stuff with the SPA-3000 already, but you might want to try different line
    >> impedance configurations in the SPA-configuration, this does have an
    >> effect on the echo canceller.
    >>
    >> Trying another analog phone also sometimes help, the local echo canceller
    >> (which is the one that causes the echo at the remote site) sometimes
    >> can't cope very well with specific (cheaper) phones, or a lot of phones
    >> parallel.

    > Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a go.
    >
    > In fact I have lots of different, vintage handsets running from the PABX,
    > so I'm not making life easy for myself ;-)
    >

    > - Martin.

    The correct impedance setting for UK telephones/pabx lines is:

    370+620||310nF

    best wishes - Steve.

    steveybar, May 10, 2008
  4. Christian

    Christian Guest

    > My solution will be to get a Siemens C475IP or maybe the similar
    > SNOM M3.

    To be honest, that is exactly what I did (an S450IP in my case). The
    advantage of a real VOIP-phone rather than an ATA is that the sent and
    received signal never meet each other on a single line. The only echo will
    be caused acoustically in the handset. So the chance of echo on the far end
    is reduced quite a lot. I never had any complaints about echo anymore (I did
    have some with my SPA3000, although not often).

    Christian

    Christian, May 10, 2008
  5. Christian

    TheFug Guest

    Martin Johnson schreef:
    > Christian wrote:
    >>> My solution will be to get a Siemens C475IP or maybe the similar
    >>> SNOM M3.

    >> To be honest, that is exactly what I did (an S450IP in my case). The
    >> advantage of a real VOIP-phone rather than an ATA is that the sent and
    >> received signal never meet each other on a single line. The only echo
    >> will be caused acoustically in the handset. So the chance of echo on
    >> the far end is reduced quite a lot. I never had any complaints about
    >> echo anymore (I did have some with my SPA3000, although not often).

    > I have a local PSTN number on my Gradwell VOIP service, so that PSTN
    > callers in my own town don't need to dial an area code to call me.
    >
    > After turning down the SPA3000 gain settings a while back, I _think_ I
    > only now get complaints about echo from callers in my own town, as if
    > BT's audio gain was higher for such callers. Is it possible that the
    > audio gain in the BT network is routing-dependent, or is it more likely
    > to just be coincidence?
    >
    > - Martin.

    You turning down the audio gain, makes BT turning it up ?
    isn't there a call-smart setting possible in your situation ?

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    TheFug, May 10, 2008