Re: Asus Eee Box hands on (mini desktop with Intel Atom CPU)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "PeeCee" typed:
    > Picked one up yesterday for a client to see if it fit's a particular
    > task.
    > Overview:
    > http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/eeebox/en/specifications.html
    >
    > What was in this particular box:
    > Eee Box itself (black), Laptop style power supply, screw on stand,
    > Vesa mounting plate (for back of LCD screen) SPDIF adaptor, WiFi
    > antenna, Manual, Warranty card, OS restore DVD, drivers CD.
    > This one had 1GB RAM, Windows XP Home and 80GB HD in two 40GB
    > partitions (Atom 1.6GHZ CPU).
    > There are other colours and RAM/HD configurations available
    > apparently. This site lists some of the variations
    > http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2008/06/02/sneak-peek-asus-eee-b202-desktop-pc/
    >
    > Observations:
    > (Random and not necessarily deep and meaningfull)
    > Manual basically show's the I/O and controls, how to restore the OS,
    > all in several languages and that's it.
    > OS restore DVD and driver CD requires external USB DVD drive (now I
    > know why I bought that 5.25" USB drive case)
    >
    > Bios
    > Entered through the 'Del' key
    > Fairly plain, options for Express Gate screen delay (default 10 sec)
    > No obvious overclocking options.
    > No power restore options (ie Off/ previous state/ on)
    > Can power up on LAN and has a RTC Alarm start up.
    >
    > Starting Up:
    > The Express Gate (Linux?) "FUN" OS shows up for 10 seconds before
    > booting through to XP Home.
    > From Switch on to the Express Gate Web Browser home page fully loaded
    > took roughly 45 seconds (includes moving the pointer and clicking on
    > the Web Icon)
    > (This is with a WiFi LAN connection)
    > Flash seems to play ok as does YouTube video's
    > Express Gate also has a Photo Uploader to Flickr, IM client and Skype
    > none of which I've tried yet.
    >
    > First run of XP was pretty standard, Region, time zone, Keyboard and
    > Language, though as usual fine tinkering was required afterwards in
    > the Control Panel / Region tool.
    > In my case I ran it up without a wired LAN connection but with the
    > WiFi antenna connected.
    > Searching for Wireless points from the Wireless app in the System Tray
    > bottom right found my Wireless LAN & it's configuration (WPA2 PSK) &
    > all I had to do was type in the pass phrase ... connected (G, haven't
    > got N yet)
    > XP Service Pack2 out of the box.
    > No preinstalled Anti Virus
    > Acrobat Reader 8 installed.
    > Windows updates started downloading straight away as you would expect
    > with any standard XP install.
    > The Windows Install is bog standard apart from Asus update app's,
    > Instructions for reinstalling the "FUN" apps (aka Express Gate)
    > should they get corrupted and an entry for the Realtek chipset.
    >
    > Performance:
    > I've no numbers for you to pick over here, but it seemed to go OK
> [...]

    Thanks Paul, I've seen those on the net and wondered how they'd go. Really
    they should be plenty powerful enough for most light office use and consume
    very little electricity. I hope they catch on.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 28, 2008