Re: ASUS AAM6000EV Router, NAT.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -{-astrae-}-, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. -{-astrae-}-

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Now I look at it basic UPS's arent as expensive as I thought they were.

    How much backup time would I expect from a basic 500VA UPS?

    astrae

    "-{-astrae-}-" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not losing power very often, just normal power cuts etc..
    >
    > We had some bad weather on the weekend and the power went off 3 times. (I
    > ended up shutting everything down) This reminded me to look into sorting
    > out this problem.
    >
    > I've looked at getting a UPS but the wallet cant handle it at the moment.
    >
    > Now that everything is sweet and I dont have to touch it if things do

    reset,
    > I can live with it. The server doesnt really get enough use to justify

    the

    -{-astrae-}-, Jul 10, 2003

  2. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:13:31 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > The most budget UPS from DSE ($200 - 400VA) says that it will deliver at
    > full load for about 5 minutes in a complete power outage. I guess full load
    > is about 1.7 amps.

    A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
    especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
    processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

    Expect 25-40 minutes on a fresh battery

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 10, 2003

  3. -{-astrae-}-

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...

    > A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
    > especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
    > processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

    so your saying NT doesnt?

    Steven H

    Steven H, Jul 11, 2003
  4. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:42:11 +1200, Steven H wrote:

    > In article <>, alanb+google4
    > @digistar.com says...
    >
    >> A single computer with no monitor isn't anywhere near full load,
    >> especially if it's running linuix/bsd as the cpu idles when there's no
    >> processing going on, which drops power cosumption even further.

    > so your saying NT doesnt?

    I think w2k may do, but it isn't in there by default.

    Earlier versions definitely don't.

    An idling linux computer can be operated with no fan on the heatsink and
    suffer no ill effects. With one of my original 486dx2/66 servers it was
    amazing how much difference there was between idling (heatsink cool to
    touch) vs flat out compiling (burned fingers)..

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 13, 2003