Re-assinging partitions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help me out of this jam. I have a 80
    gb hard drive partitioned into 6 partitions (C = 6.03gb, D = 8.09gb, E =
    8.09gb, F = 8.09gb, G = 8.09gb, H = 36gb) installed in my system. My problem
    is that I wanted my C drive to be only for Windows XP and the subsequent
    drives for apps, games, school, wife's stuff, and media. While I am pretty
    good at directing installations to the specific partitions I want them
    located in (not the C drive), my 6 gb C partition is now suddenly low on
    space, 141 mb to be exact, and I keep getting a warning message telling me
    to free up space.
    I was in the process of loading Office XP when this all began and it would
    not let me direct the files to one of my other partitions, so I stopped the
    installation. That is when I noticed my C drive was critically low.
    My question to you is how can I combine my C and D partitions into one
    without losing anything in the process (paths, files, etc;). Or, where could
    I find all the files that were loaded before I stopped the Office XP
    installation so that I may try to free up space that way. I actually would
    rather combine the 2 partitions if it is just as easy.

    Thanks in advance and sorry if I didn't give enough info to help my cause,
    Mike

    ---
    Mike, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Mike

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I actually would
    > rather combine the 2 partitions if it is just as easy.

    Merge the partitions with http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    Just make sure you back up your stuff first. Everything. To a seperaate
    hard drive, partition or removable media. Drive Image will do the job.
    B.Al.Zeebub, Jan 20, 2004