Re: "Assigning" vs. "Matching" a color profile

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me, Dec 31, 2009.

  1. me

    me Guest

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:11:08 -0800, isw <> wrote:

    >This is on a Mac, BTW.
    >
    >I have a large number of scanned slides bearing a color profile
    >(assigned by the scanner) that gives iPhoto fits; I'd like to change it.
    >
    >Using ColorSync, I can "assign" a different profile, or I can "match" to
    >a different profile, but I do not understand which I should do, or (more
    >importantly) what the difference is between the two. Further, I don't
    >know which profile I should move to: "Generic RGB"; "sRGB"; or what? The
    >images are my own, and will not be displayed on the web. I'd like to
    >keep them at the highest possible "accuracy" (whatever that means).
    >
    >A whole lot of googling has produced many descriptions of *how* to do
    >these things, but nothing on *why* or *which*.
    >
    >Can anybody shed some light, please?

    Have you tried using a utility such as
    http://www2.chromix.com/ColorSmarts...&-session=SessID:62A682011e0e5088D5TII3F64BF5
    to "correct" the scanner profile and then re-assgn the corrected
    profile to an image?
    me, Dec 31, 2009

  2. me

    me Guest

    On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:42:28 -0800, isw <> wrote:

    >The scanner came with a profile that I have no reason to doubt, and all
    >the images in question were scanned using it. It's just that iPhoto gets
    >indigestion when trying to handle images bearing that particular profile
    >-- and I have no idea why, and no way to find out (the scanner maker is
    >no longer around). My "solution" is to move the images to a different
    >profile, and right now I'm trying to figure out what one would be "best".

    If you actually looked at the link I provided, this util only makes a
    given profile Colorsync "compatible", it doesn't change it elsewise.
    so if this were to work you could have your cake and eat it to, no? In
    the course of the time you've taken to post in this forum, you might
    find the absolute best answer, with nothing to lose.
    me, Dec 31, 2009

  3. me

    me Guest

    On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:42:28 -0800, isw <> wrote:

    >The scanner came with a profile that I have no reason to doubt, and all
    >the images in question were scanned using it. It's just that iPhoto gets
    >indigestion when trying to handle images bearing that particular profile
    >-- and I have no idea why, and no way to find out (the scanner maker is
    >no longer around). My "solution" is to move the images to a different
    >profile, and right now I'm trying to figure out what one would be "best".

    So the simple solution as has been been proposed is to simply save the
    original scanned images for future use, and convert to aRGB for your
    present use. Problem solved, the future and cuurent problems need ot
    be solved in a single file. I really doubt the issue with iPhoto will
    be a problem in the future. Ohtherwise why not deal with Apple support
    on this issue if it is indeed a valid profile?
    me, Dec 31, 2009
  4. me

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:42:28 -0800, isw <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > me <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:11:08 -0800, isw <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >This is on a Mac, BTW.
    >> >
    >> >I have a large number of scanned slides bearing a color profile
    >> >(assigned by the scanner) that gives iPhoto fits; I'd like to change it.
    >> >
    >> >Using ColorSync, I can "assign" a different profile, or I can "match" to
    >> >a different profile, but I do not understand which I should do, or (more
    >> >importantly) what the difference is between the two. Further, I don't
    >> >know which profile I should move to: "Generic RGB"; "sRGB"; or what? The
    >> >images are my own, and will not be displayed on the web. I'd like to
    >> >keep them at the highest possible "accuracy" (whatever that means).
    >> >
    >> >A whole lot of googling has produced many descriptions of *how* to do
    >> >these things, but nothing on *why* or *which*.
    >> >
    >> >Can anybody shed some light, please?

    >> Have you tried using a utility such as
    >> http://www2.chromix.com/ColorSmarts/smartNote.cxsa?snid=441&-session=SessID:62
    >> A682011e0e5088D5TII3F64BF5
    >> to "correct" the scanner profile and then re-assgn the corrected
    >> profile to an image?

    >The scanner came with a profile that I have no reason to doubt, and all
    >the images in question were scanned using it. It's just that iPhoto gets
    >indigestion when trying to handle images bearing that particular profile
    >-- and I have no idea why, and no way to find out (the scanner maker is
    >no longer around). My "solution" is to move the images to a different
    >profile, and right now I'm trying to figure out what one would be "best".

    One possibility is that, being old, your scanner uses a now
    non-standard form of profile which iPhoto cannot recognise. Either
    that or the files produced by your scanner have a non-standard form of
    header.

    How do you scan - directly with the scanner or indirectly via an
    application using a Twain driver?

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Dec 31, 2009
  5. me

    me Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 11:00:20 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >One possibility is that, being old, your scanner uses a now
    >non-standard form of profile which iPhoto cannot recognise. Either
    >that or the files produced by your scanner have a non-standard form of
    >header.

    If you loked, I all ready pointed him to a util which might correct
    such a problem.

    me, Dec 31, 2009