Re: Are you rready for April 12th?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
    >> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
    >>
    >> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

    > Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
    > Its an option that you can set in you control panel

    If it's already on - fine.

    BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
    you don't want it.

    It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

    steve, Apr 7, 2005

  2. steve

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
    >>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
    >>>
    >>> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

    >> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
    >> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

    > If it's already on - fine.
    >
    > BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
    > you don't want it.
    >
    > It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

    The article is wrong then, or you have either misread or misrepresented it
    Brett Roberts posted a link here two days ago with the correct information
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

    Its about the expiry of a corporate registry key tool which home users
    here are unlikely to be using.
    The registry key tool was for enterprises to disable SP2 being delivered
    via WU or AU regardless of AU being switched on.
    If you have AU switched off, then you will still be able to choose your
    updates selectively manually from Windows Update.

    shannon, Apr 7, 2005

  3. shannon wrote:

    >>> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
    >>> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

    >> If it's already on - fine.
    >> BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
    >> you don't want it.
    >> It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

    > The article is wrong then, or you have either misread or misrepresented it
    > Brett Roberts posted a link here two days ago with the correct information
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

    Im glad that Im not the only one who actually knows this, I was
    beginning to think that I was.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  4. steve

    Windows User Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:29:52 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >shannon wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft will be making WinXP SP2 compulsory from that date.....and
    >>> if your PC is connected to the Internet you WILL be updated.
    >>>
    >>> Dial-up users will no doubt be overjoyed......

    >> Not unless you have automatic updates turned on.
    >> Its an option that you can set in you control panel

    >If it's already on - fine.
    >
    >BUT -> If you have not already done the update, you can no longer say
    >you don't want it.
    >
    >It will happen regardless. That is what the article is saying.

    Bollocks

    It's just a tool that blocks it from being downloaded if you have
    automatic updates turned on

    If you turn auto updates off you will get no updates period

    Windows User, Apr 7, 2005