Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Ar Q wrote:

    >I don't know if the problem is on my computers, my ISP earthlink
    >or Yahoo.
    >
    >I can access other sites fine. But when I key in www.yahoo.com,
    >all web browsers are waiting for m.www.yahoo.com to respond and
    >dead waiting. That is weired. It has been that way for the past 5
    >hours. What should I do next? Thanks.

    Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
    http://209.191.93.52

    If that works:

    Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com' <enter>

    If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.

    --

    "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_fe_st/odd_goat_thief_5

    G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009

  2. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies its part
    >of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web experience".

    That would be huge news if it was known EL filters web page delivery. Are you
    sure?

    >He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more neutral
    >stance on what customers "really want".

    The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it <rolls
    eyes>. Ya think?

    G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009

  3. G. Morgan

    Mike Easter Guest

    G. Morgan wrote:

    > The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it
    > <rolls eyes>. Ya think?

    (...based on my experience with EL cable nameservice.)

    EL provides nameservice which is not only profit motivated, but also
    fallible.

    IMO One (EL cable client) should configure their nameservice better than
    the default EL

    .... but the OP's connectivity is covad. What does that have to do with
    EL? Or its nameservice?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 12, 2009
  4. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Ar Q wrote:

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >| Ar Q wrote:
    >|
    >| >I don't know if the problem is on my computers, my ISP
    >earthlink
    >| >or Yahoo.
    >| >
    >| >I can access other sites fine. But when I key in www.yahoo.com,
    >| >all web browsers are waiting for m.www.yahoo.com to respond and
    >| >dead waiting. That is weired. It has been that way for the past
    >5
    >| >hours. What should I do next? Thanks.
    >|

    >| Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
    >| http://209.191.93.52
    >|
    >| If that works:
    >|
    >| Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com'
    ><enter>
    >|
    >| If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.
    >|

    >I can ping 209.191.93.52 from cmd line but not browsers (both MS
    >IE and Mozilla FireFox).

    Alright, let's try to change nameservers:
    Do you know how?

    Pick two (I like the 4.2.2.x ones myself):

    Public DNS Servers
    Level 3 Communications (Broomfield, CO, US)
    4.2.2.1
    4.2.2.2
    4.2.2.3
    4.2.2.4
    4.2.2.5
    4.2.2.6
    Verizon (Reston, VA, US)
    151.197.0.38
    151.197.0.39
    151.202.0.84
    151.202.0.85
    151.202.0.85
    151.203.0.84
    151.203.0.85
    199.45.32.37
    199.45.32.38
    199.45.32.40
    199.45.32.43
    GTE (Irving, TX, US)
    192.76.85.133
    206.124.64.1
    One Connect IP (Albuquerque, NM, US)
    67.138.54.100
    OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA, US)
    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220
    Exetel (Sydney, AU)
    220.233.167.31
    VRx Network Services (New York, NY, US)
    199.166.31.3
    SpeakEasy (Seattle, WA, US)
    66.93.87.2
    216.231.41.2
    216.254.95.2
    64.81.45.2
    64.81.111.2
    64.81.127.2
    64.81.79.2
    64.81.159.2
    66.92.64.2
    66.92.224.2
    66.92.159.2
    64.81.79.2
    64.81.159.2
    64.81.127.2
    64.81.45.2
    216.27.175.2
    66.92.159.2
    66.93.87.2
    Sprintlink (Overland Park, KS, US)
    199.2.252.10
    204.97.212.10
    204.117.214.10
    Cisco (San Jose, CA, US)
    64.102.255.44
    128.107.241.185

    G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009
  5. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    >G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it
    >> <rolls eyes>. Ya think?

    >(...based on my experience with EL cable nameservice.)
    >
    >EL provides nameservice which is not only profit motivated, but also
    >fallible.

    Yeah, I read SNUH's article on that.

    That does not have any bearing on the OP's problem unless EL's DNS is borked.

    >IMO One (EL cable client) should configure their nameservice better than
    >the default EL

    Agreed.

    >... but the OP's connectivity is covad. What does that have to do with
    >EL? Or its nameservice?

    Maybe he's at work?

    G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009
  6. G. Morgan

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ar Q wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > Right now DNS and alt DNS server on the Ethernet card to Internet
    > is set "automatic".
    >
    > They are set to 207.69.188.185 and 207.69.188.186 on the Ethernet
    > card to my LAN.

    Those are EL/mindspring nameservers.

    > Am I setting up these correctly? I think I should change the
    > automatic Name server to something specific. What addresses should
    > I change to? Thanks.

    I like opendns 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

    See this page https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start Use OpenDNS (Step
    1 of 3: Change DNS settings)

    Promotional pages here - http://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/solutions
    Find out why millions of people have already made the switch to a better
    Internet with OpenDNS.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 12, 2009
  7. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Ar Q wrote:

    >I have two Ethernet cards on my computer. Checking the TCP/IP
    >settings:
    >
    >DNS and alt DNS server on the Ethernet card to Internet
    >is set "automatic".

    Change that to 'specify'.

    >They are set to 207.69.188.185 and 207.69.188.186 on the Ethernet
    >card to my LAN.
    >
    >What should I change the two? Thanks.

    Change them to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2, they always work (for me so far). I always
    use those for troubleshooting because they are so easy to remember.

    G. Morgan, Feb 12, 2009
  8. G. Morgan

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ar Q wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I like opendns 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

    > Add http://www.opendns.com to the pages my browsers can't resolve
    > the name.

    Heh. Click this http://208.67.219.101/

    Don't type it. If you type it, you might make a mistake.

    I think that's (a mistake) what happened with http://209.131.36.158/

    That should work if it is (just) a nameservice problem.

    Things that would keep it from working would be webserver which won't
    answer to that address, some kind of 'obstruction' between you and the
    site.

    In both of the above cases, the particular webserver will answer to that
    address -and- it is more likely for you to type a mistake than to be
    obstructed by your provider from accessing parts of the internet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 12, 2009
  9. G. Morgan wrote:
    > §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies its part
    >> of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web experience".

    > That would be huge news if it was known EL filters web page delivery. Are you
    > sure?
    >
    >> He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more neutral
    >> stance on what customers "really want".

    > The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it <rolls
    > eyes>. Ya think?

    Interesting how you snipped the CITE I provided detailing the issue,
    cuNtFlAps.

    Now go stand in the corner.

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 12, 2009
  10. Ar Q wrote:
    > "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message
    > | G. Morgan <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > | of<>:
    > |

    > | >Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
    > | >http://209.191.93.52
    > | >
    > | >If that works:
    > | >
    > | >Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com'
    > <enter>
    > | >
    > | >If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.
    > | >
    > | After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies
    > its part
    > | of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web
    > experience".
    > | He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more
    > neutral
    > | stance on what customers "really want".
    > |

    > This is so strange. I typed in http://finance.yahoo.com on my
    > browser, but the browser is waiting http://earthlink-help.com to
    > respond. (And no response after 10 minutes or forever.) Is my
    > computer messed up or Earthlink really filter my page request? My
    > computer was OK last night. Thanks.

    EL shapes traffic. I used them for a month and bailed out of the
    contract based on my very bad experience with them.
    Their tech support is in India and I have a lot of sympathy for
    them...they arnt allowed to tell you whats really going on and will
    always stick to the script they read from.
    On the plus side they did refund my money...

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 12, 2009
  11. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    >G. Morgan wrote:
    >> §ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >>
    >>> After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies its part
    >>> of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web experience".

    >> That would be huge news if it was known EL filters web page delivery. Are you
    >> sure?
    >>
    >>> He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more neutral
    >>> stance on what customers "really want".

    >> The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it <rolls
    >> eyes>. Ya think?
    >>

    >Interesting how you snipped the CITE I provided detailing the issue,
    >cuNtFlAps.

    No, the article you cited described complaints about re-directs when a
    misspelled URL gets entered. It had no references to blocking legitimate
    sites.

    Besides that, the cite was in a different sub-thread and I happened to read
    this branch first. So nah-nah.

    **** that, you stunk it up farting over there all day.

    G. Morgan, Feb 13, 2009
  12. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    <nothing, basically>

    The article you cited described complaints about re-directs when a
    misspelled URL gets entered. It had no references to blocking legitimate
    sites, did it?

    G. Morgan, Feb 13, 2009
  13. §ñühw¤£f, Feb 13, 2009