Re: Are these safe to throw out?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
    <>
    Stephanie scrawled:

    >Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
    >full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser history
    >or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using "Find
    >File"
    >
    >AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB - Application

    Reboot first, then delete.

    >LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

    This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
    a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

    >Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
    >
    >Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

    The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
    if you are short of space.

    >netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB -
    >HST File

    If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

    >index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB - DAT
    >file

    Control Panel / Internet Options ...
    'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

    >data1 - C:\Logitemp - 8,547KB - Cabinet

    I'm not sure what the Logitemp folder is, but it sounds like it
    could be a temporary folder. If you can determine that it is,
    reboot and delete the whole folder.

    >8a79 - C:\Windows\Temp - 4,699KB - Windows Installer Package

    Reboot first, then delete.

    >DXdiag - C:\Windows\System - 2,004KB - Application

    Do *NOT* delete this. It is your DirectX diagnostics program.

    >GM.dls - C:\Windows\System 32\Drivers - 3,361KB - DLS File

    Do *NOT* delete this. It is your MIDI instruments file.

    >Prhz7b3r - C:\Windows\Java\Packages - 5,616KB - Aladdin Stuffit Archive

    Only delete this if you *never* use Java.

    >Adobe Reader 6.0 - C:\Windows\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG - 2,198KB -
    >Windows Installer Package

    Reboot and delete.

    >Data 1 - C:\Windows\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG - 23,334KB - Cabinet

    Reboot and delete.

    >filter.dat - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus - 2,985KB - DAT File

    Do *NOT* delete this. It is your antivirus definitions.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Stephanie Guest

    Hi Mike, thanks for the advice! Thanks to you , I was able to recover almost
    60 MB of space. and everything still seems to work. :)

    S.

    Stephanie, Aug 23, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome. You should take a look at the link in my signature;
    add it to your favorites, even. :)

    Btw. If you have trouble downloading HDValet from the maintenance
    page, you can get it here, temporarily:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/hdvalet.html

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:45:53 -0400, in
    <>
    Stephanie scrawled:

    >Hi Mike, thanks for the advice! Thanks to you , I was able to recover almost
    >60 MB of space. and everything still seems to work. :)
    >
    >S.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    Richard Guest

    °Mike° wrote:>>

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Stephanie scrawled:

    >>Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
    >>full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser
    >>history or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using

    > "Find File" AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB -
    > Application

    > Reboot first, then delete.

    >>LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

    > This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
    > a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

    >>Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
    >>
    >>Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

    > The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
    > if you are short of space.

    >>netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB
    >>- HST File

    > If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

    >>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB -
    >>DAT file

    > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
    > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

    DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage to get rid
    of it, windows just makes a new one.

    Why do you say reboot and delete?
    just delete the damn files first.

    Richard, Aug 23, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:20:07 -0500, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:>>
    >
    > > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:32:24 -0400, in
    > > <>
    > > Stephanie scrawled:

    > >>Hi, I am looking for things to throw out, since my hard drive is getting
    > >>full. I use Windows 98SE and MIE 5.5. I don't care about my browser
    > >>history or cache. Are any of these safe to throw out? I found these using

    >> "Find File" AcroRd32 - C:\Windows\TEMP\pftC0E3~TEMP\Reader - 3,781KB -
    >> Application

    > > Reboot first, then delete.

    > >>LW_8.6.1.smi.bin - C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder (2) - 2,098KB - BIN File

    > > This is something you must determine yourself. You have created
    > > a new folder on the desktop. If it is no longer needed, delete it.

    > >>Vmx86_01 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,408KB - Cabinet
    > >>
    > >>Mdac_ie5 - C:\Windows Update Setup Files - 2,242KB - Cabinet

    > > The *entire* "Windows Update Setup Files" folder can be deleted,
    > > if you are short of space.

    > >>netscape.hst - C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles ... - 4,804KB
    > >>- HST File

    > > If you use Netscape/Mozilla, leave this in place.

    > >>index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - 2,048KB -
    > >>DAT file

    > > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
    > > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

    >DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage
    >to get rid of it, windows just makes a new one.

    The instructions given were for emptying the temporary internet
    files, and the sub folders. Where did I say to delete the index.dat
    file, st00pid? Now STFU!

    >Why do you say reboot and delete?
    >just delete the damn files first.

    More typically bad advice from a non-typical moron. Rebooting first
    is to ensure that... oh, what the hell am I explaining myself to you
    for? **** off, Bullis.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Richard Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:

    > °Mike° wrote:>>
    >index.dat - C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 -
    > >>2,048KB - DAT file

    > > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
    > > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

    > DUMBASS. index.dat file can not be deleted. even if you do manage to
    > get rid of it, windows just makes a new one.

    Shithead,

    He didn't. He said to go into IE and delete all cache, including
    all offline content. That's what:

    > > Control Panel / Internet Options ...
    > > 'Delete files' ... [x] 'Delete all offline content.

    means.

    > Why do you say reboot and delete?
    > just delete the damn files first.

    How can you delete open files? Some of the files she listed might
    be open, and would throw errors...unless she rebooted first!

    NOI

    --

    There must be wonderful paintings on the walls of his ass, for his
    head to be stuck up there for so long...!

    Thund3rstruck, Aug 24, 2003