Re: Are 2 physical / 4 logical processors supported?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by ocbwilg, May 10, 2005.

  1. ocbwilg

    ocbwilg Guest

    "WallOne" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to find a reference somewhere for Win XP Pro (any flavour) for
    > the number of logical processors I should see in Task Manager with 2 x
    > hyperthreaded Xeon chips. Surely I should see four logical processors
    > either
    > here or in the affinity list. (So far no luck with an Asus workstation
    > board
    > I have.)
    > There seems to be a lack of formal recognition about HT processors in the
    > Win XP documentation or discussions.

    Windows 2000 incorrectly identified a hyperthreaded CPU as two processors.
    Windows XP and 2003 correctly identify a hyperthreaded CPU as a single
    processor. I haven't tested yet, but true multicore CPUs should be
    identified as two separate CPUs, because they are two separate CPUs in a
    single package.

    ocbwilg, May 10, 2005

  2. ocbwilg

    gimp Guest

    ocbwilg wrote:
    > Windows XP and 2003 correctly identify a hyperthreaded CPU as a single
    > processor. I haven't tested yet, but true multicore CPUs should be
    > identified as two separate CPUs, because they are two separate CPUs in a
    > single package.

    but if XP & X64 only support 2 physical processors, does that mean you
    can't have a dual-cpu dual-core workstation with XP and/or X64...?

    gimp, May 11, 2005

  3. no, it does NOT mean that. As has been stated, repeatedly, here - MS licenses
    on the number of SOCKETS. Not on the number of cores. XP Professional x64
    Edition supports one or two "processors", which in this case means one or two
    sockets. So if you have dual core Athlon 64 x2s, each one counts as a
    "processor", even though it does have two cores in it.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 11, 2005