Re: Application install

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Old Sourdough, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:39:26 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by farmhand in message

    > Win XP Pro
    > Installed firewall is Norton SystemWorks
    >
    > I have been trying to install GoBack 3.01 included in the same Norton CD
    > but have been stymied by the following
    > displayed window:
    >
    > 'Setup is unable to create enough contiguous space on your hard drive
    > for a GoBack history buffer of 615MB. This may be caused by active
    > programs locking portions of the file space.
    > Close all other programs including those in the system tray. This may
    > allow the selected history size to be used. Press Retry when you are
    > ready to continue.'
    >
    > I have attempted to do all the items requested but still cannot install
    > the GoBack app. Closed all Norton programs and ect.
    > There is over 3 g. of available space on the drive.

    The keyword here is "contiguous". As Philo says, try defragging your drive,
    and then try to install GoBack again. Keep in mind that certain files need to
    be in certain locations on the hard drive, which may not allow you to get 615
    MB of contiguous space, even though you may have 3+GB free space.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 1967
    The Old Sourdough, Aug 16, 2003