    the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    --
    Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
    pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor
    Autoreply is disabled | will we ever. Church and state are, and must

    Paul Ciszek, Aug 21, 2012

  2. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 21/08/2012 18:54, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    > a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    > them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    > able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    > to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    > very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    > the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    > entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    > having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    > or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    Yes, they already have that:

    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

    "With iCloud, when you take a photo on one device, it automatically
    appears on all your other devices. No syncing. No sending. Your photos
    are just there. Everywhere you want them."

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 21, 2012

  3. On 8/21/2012 1:54 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    > a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    > them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    > able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    > to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    > very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    > the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    > entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    > having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    > or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    Perhaps Apple will buy Lytro.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Aug 21, 2012
  4. Paul Ciszek

    Bruce Guest

    James Silverton <> wrote:
    >On 8/21/2012 1:54 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    >> a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    >> them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    >> able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    >> to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    >> very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    >> the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    >> entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    >> having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    >> or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    >Perhaps Apple will buy Lytro.

    Apple would have to become uncharacteristically stupid to entertain
    such a purchase. Apple is in business to make money, whereas Lytro is
    a money pit.

    Bruce, Aug 21, 2012
  5. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >On 21/08/2012 18:54, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    >> a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    >> them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    >> able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    >> to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    >> very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    >> the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    >> entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    >> having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    >> or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.
    >>

    >Yes, they already have that:
    >
    >http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html
    >
    >"With iCloud, when you take a photo on one device, it automatically
    >appears on all your other devices. No syncing. No sending. Your photos
    >are just there. Everywhere you want them."

    It looks like the devices in question are iPhones and iPads. What I was
    trying to describe was a dedicated camera device, equivalent to compact
    superzoom or DSLR, that had cell phone or 4G capability. I also had in
    mind the pictures going to a server in another country or countries, so
    they could not be confiscated by police, but could be easily retrieved at
    any time by the photographer or accomplices.

    Paul Ciszek, Aug 21, 2012
  6. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 21/08/2012 22:42, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:
    >> On 21/08/2012 18:54, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    >>> a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    >>> them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    >>> able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    >>> to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    >>> very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    >>> the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    >>> entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    >>> having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    >>> or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.
    >>>

    >> Yes, they already have that:
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html
    >>
    >> "With iCloud, when you take a photo on one device, it automatically
    >> appears on all your other devices. No syncing. No sending. Your photos
    >> are just there. Everywhere you want them."

    > It looks like the devices in question are iPhones and iPads.

    Also your PC at home, either via the iCloud feature built into the OS
    (so you have the photos directly in iPhoto or Aperture) or via a web
    interface.

    > What I was
    > trying to describe was a dedicated camera device, equivalent to compact
    > superzoom or DSLR, that had cell phone or 4G capability.

    Yes, I did understand that. I just pointed out that they already had the
    connectivity side operational and rolled out on a very large scale. All
    you need is to add the photo-taking-hardware side of it.

    > I also had in
    > mind the pictures going to a server in another country or countries, so
    > they could not be confiscated by police, but could be easily retrieved at
    > any time by the photographer or accomplices.

    Well, the "cloud" lives on a number of servers all over the place. Not a
    specific one, but distributed at any given time over a number of
    non-specific servers wherever. Using a single sever is "sooo 20th
    century, dear"... ;-) There are other "cloud" products than the one
    Apple offers, but I'm sure if it's them selling the device they will
    make sure it's tied to their cloud.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 21, 2012
  7. iCamera will have a sealed battery and sealed memory card. All settings
    will be factory set.

    Usenet Account, Aug 21, 2012
  8. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:

    >Well, the "cloud" lives on a number of servers all over the place. Not a
    >specific one, but distributed at any given time over a number of
    >non-specific servers wherever. Using a single sever is "sooo 20th
    >century, dear"... ;-) There are other "cloud" products than the one
    >Apple offers, but I'm sure if it's them selling the device they will
    >make sure it's tied to their cloud.

    I suspect that Apple has ways of deleting things off of the cloud, and
    would roll over and do so if a state government threatened legal action
    over people filming police brutality. If I had prepaid someone in
    Canada, not affiliated with a corporation that operates in the US, to
    save pictures for me, it would be a little more difficult to get
    co-operation.

    Paul Ciszek, Aug 21, 2012
  9. Paul Ciszek <> wrote:
    > One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    > a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    > them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    > able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    > to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    > very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    > the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    > entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    > having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    > or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    Already exists in the form or cameras with wifi combined with
    smartphones which can link the wifi through to the web.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 22, 2012
  10. On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    > a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    > them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    > able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    > to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    > very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    > the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    > entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    > having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    > or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    You take the film out of the camera and hide it before the cops board your
    ship.

    That's what was done when McTaggart sailed into the nuclear test area in
    Tahiti. Well, one of the women with him hid the film.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Aug 22, 2012
  11. Paul Ciszek

    Guest Guest

    Usenet Account <> wrote:
    > iCamera will have a sealed battery and sealed memory card. All settings
    > will be factory set.

    That describes the iPhone 4S to a T.

    Guest, Aug 22, 2012
  12. Paul Ciszek

    Guest Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:
    > James Silverton <> wrote:
    >> On 8/21/2012 1:54 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
    >>> a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
    >>> them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
    >>> able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
    >>> to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
    >>> very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
    >>> the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
    >>> entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
    >>> having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
    >>> or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

    >> Perhaps Apple will buy Lytro.

    > Apple would have to become uncharacteristically stupid to entertain
    > such a purchase. Apple is in business to make money, whereas Lytro is
    > a money pit.

    Then it is sealed. Apple has been making a series of bad decisions since
    teh geh took over.

    The new tv ads that portray Apple devices as being too complicated to use
    without Genius handholding.

    Replacing the exec in charge of the ridiculously profitable Apple Stores
    and firing front line staff.

    Firing the co director of Steve Job's Steve notes which made the i-series
    of tech toys objects of lust the world over.

    4 more years till Apple runs Windows 8 like the other also-ran Nokia...

    Guest, Aug 22, 2012
  13. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/08/2012 00:29, George Kerby wrote:
    > On 8/21/12 5:09 PM, in article , "Joe
    > Kotroczo" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 21/08/2012 22:42, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    >>> It looks like the devices in question are iPhones and iPads.

    >> Also your PC at home, either via the iCloud feature built into the OS
    >> (so you have the photos directly in iPhoto or Aperture) or via a web
    >> interface.
    >>
    >>> What I was
    >>> trying to describe was a dedicated camera device, equivalent to compact
    >>> superzoom or DSLR, that had cell phone or 4G capability.

    >> Yes, I did understand that. I just pointed out that they already had the
    >> connectivity side operational and rolled out on a very large scale. All
    >> you need is to add the photo-taking-hardware side of it.

    > A simple solution to what I think that you are suggesting is a Eye-fi SD
    > card in a DSLR of your choice that transmits file to a Mac running Lion and
    > PhotoStream via iCloud?

    I thought we were discussing hypothetical future products, not
    solutions? Anyway, the Eye-Fi only transmits via WiFi, it lacks support
    for 3G or other cellular phone data transmission.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 22, 2012
  14. Paul Ciszek

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > > iCamera will have a sealed battery and sealed memory card. All settings
    > > will be factory set.

    > That describes the iPhone 4S to a T.

    actually it doesn't, since the settings can easily be changed with any
    of a wide variety of apps and the memory is effectively unlimited
    because it can upload the photos or videos on the fly.

    by the way, the flip video camera had a sealed battery, as do a number
    of other products.

    nospam, Aug 22, 2012
  15. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/08/2012 07:51, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-08-21 23:13:21 -0700, Joe Kotroczo <> said:
    >
    >> On 22/08/2012 00:29, George Kerby wrote:

    >>> A simple solution to what I think that you are suggesting is a Eye-fi SD
    >>> card in a DSLR of your choice that transmits file to a Mac running Lion and
    >>> PhotoStream via iCloud?

    >> I thought we were discussing hypothetical future products, not
    >> solutions? Anyway, the Eye-Fi only transmits via WiFi, it lacks support
    >> for 3G or other cellular phone data transmission.

    > Aah! but if you have an iPhone in your pocket to establish your
    > personal hotspot you can use the Eye-Fi card to upload your files to
    > whatever cloud service you choose, and if you have a PogoPlug device it
    > could be your personal cloud.
    > < http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2 >

    Yes, you're right, you could set up a chain like that.

    As I said: the technology is out there, all you need is to package it
    right, make it idiot-proof, stick an Apple logo on it and you'll sell
    millions.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 22, 2012
  16. Paul Ciszek

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:43:40 AM UTC+1, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    > On 22/08/2012 07:51, Savageduck wrote:

    > >> I thought we were discussing hypothetical future products, not

    > >> solutions? Anyway, the Eye-Fi only transmits via WiFi, it lacks support

    > >> for 3G or other cellular phone data transmission.

    > > Aah! but if you have an iPhone in your pocket to establish your

    > > personal hotspot you can use the Eye-Fi card to upload your files to

    > > whatever cloud service you choose, and if you have a PogoPlug device it

    > > could be your personal cloud.

    > > < http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2 >

    > Yes, you're right, you could set up a chain like that.
    >

    > As I said: the technology is out there, all you need is to package it
    >
    > right, make it idiot-proof, stick an Apple logo on it and you'll sell
    >
    > millions.

    Only if people want it and that is where Aple scores best convincing peole they want w bright shiny new prodict, I just can;t see a market for an Apple standalone camera, perhaps a video camera btu I doubt Apple could compete in that market.

    Whisky-dave, Aug 22, 2012
  17. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/08/2012 12:07, Whisky-dave wrote:

    >I just can;t see a market for an Apple standalone camera,

    You are aware that Nikon has just today officially announced the Coolpix
    s800c, which is a Point&Shoot running the Android mobile phone operating
    system.

    <http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/coolpix/style/coolpix-s800c>

    <http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/22/nikon-coolpix-s800c-android-camera-hands-on/>

    Yes, it's a camera that will play your MP3s and let you play games and
    install whatever other app you fancy installing.

    Android's biggest rival being Apple's iOS, it's difficult not to expect
    Apple to retaliate somehow.

    >perhaps a video camera btu I doubt Apple could compete in that market.

    For all intents and purposes, what's the difference between a low-end
    video camera and a point&shoot stills camera these days?

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 22, 2012
  18. Paul Ciszek

    Guest Guest

    > On 2012-08-21 23:13:21 -0700, Joe Kotroczo <> said:
    >
    >> On 22/08/2012 00:29, George Kerby wrote:
    >>> card in a DSLR of your choice that transmits file to a Mac running Lion and
    >>> PhotoStream via iCloud?
    >>> I thought we were discussing hypothetical future products, not >
    >>> solutions? Anyway, the Eye-Fi only transmits via WiFi, it lacks support

    > Aah! but if you have an iPhone in your pocket to establish your personal
    > hotspot you can use the Eye-Fi card to upload your files to whatever
    > cloud service you choose, and if you have a PogoPlug device it could be
    > your personal cloud.
    > < http://www.eye.fi/products/prox2 >

    Only if you have an iPhone 4 and above. The 3GS and prior iPhones aren't
    allow to be hotspots.

    Furthermore, my iPhone 4's hotspot keeps disconnecting every few minutes
    making it nigh on useless.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2012
  19. Paul Ciszek

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:36:15 PM UTC+1, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    > On 22/08/2012 12:07, Whisky-dave wrote:
    >

    > >I just can;t see a market for an Apple standalone camera,

    > You are aware that Nikon has just today officially announced the Coolpix
    >
    > s800c, which is a Point&Shoot running the Android mobile phone operating
    >
    > system.

    Why does that matter.

    > <http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/coolpix/style/coolpix-s800c>
    >

    > <http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/22/nikon-coolpix-s800c-android-camera-hands-on/>
    >

    > Yes, it's a camera that will play your MP3s and let you play games and
    >
    > install whatever other app you fancy installing.

    yes Apple call their device the ipad or iphone they have been out a number of years now.
    Is the iPhone really a phone or a camera ?
    Is the iphone really a phone or a mobile broswing device ?
    is the iphone a phone or a media consumption device ?

    So why is the product called an iPhone ?
    I assume because that;'s teh most expensive part the phone bit.
    An iPod of a similar size is les than half the price.

    So for me Aple brough out a camera a couple years ago but called it the iphone4

    if I had an iPhone it'd be used more as a camera than a phone
    I use my iPad more as a camera than anything else.
    Recently I've taken more pictures with my ipad than my camera.

    Some phones are water proof some cameras are too.
    Apple doesn;t appear to follow trends it makes them, that's the key to Apple, or perhaps woz.

    > Android's biggest rival being Apple's iOS, it's difficult not to expect
    >
    > Apple to retaliate somehow.

    Not the sort of thing Apple does though is it.
    It is others that retaliate.....

    It seems most are retaliating against Aples idea of a phone being more than just a phone. |Even though the iphone has a camera it was really in retaliatation against the Nokia phones that had 8 Meg camera.

    > >perhaps a video camera btu I doubt Apple could compete in that market.

    > For all intents and purposes, what's the difference between a low-end
    >
    > video camera and a point&shoot stills camera these days?

    The phone ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Aug 23, 2012
  20. Paul Ciszek

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 23/08/2012 10:36, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:36:15 PM UTC+1, Joe Kotroczo wrote:
    >> On 22/08/2012 12:07, Whisky-dave wrote:
    >>

    >>> I just can;t see a market for an Apple standalone camera,

    >> You are aware that Nikon has just today officially announced the Coolpix
    >>
    >> s800c, which is a Point&Shoot running the Android mobile phone operating
    >>
    >> system.

    > Why does that matter.

    It shows that one of the major players in the stills camera market
    thinks that such a product is a viable proposition in the current
    marketplace.

    It also shows that there is a basis for speculation about a hypothetical
    Apple camera since there now is an actual product that would be a direct
    competitor if such an Apple camera where to materialise.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Joe Kotroczo, Aug 23, 2012