Re: Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Apr 15, 2010

  2. Richard

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Apr 16, 2010

  3. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:06:11 -0700, thingy wrote:

    > On Apr 15, 6:40 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://advice.cio.com/tom_kaneshige/10032/

    apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...

    >> > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    >> Making? They are already one IMO

    > Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US corporations
    > are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as possible....and if
    > they cant get it via a business process, they get it via lobbying
    > congress....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
    every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
    lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
    possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for another
    less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in pursuit of profit

    Roger_Nickel, Apr 16, 2010
  4. In message <>, Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
    > every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
    > lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders.

    But other publicly-traded companies are able to offer much more open systems
    while keeping their shareholders happy, e.g. Red Hat, Google.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 18, 2010
  5. Richard

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:06:11 -0700, thingy wrote:

    > apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...
    >>> Making? They are already one IMO

    >> Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US corporations
    >> are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as possible....and if
    >> they cant get it via a business process, they get it via lobbying
    >> congress....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
    > every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
    > lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
    > possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for another
    > less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in pursuit of profit

    Really? Have you ever heard of a company facing a lawsuit on the grounds that
    they didn't "take every legal measure to make as much money as possible"? I
    haven't.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 23, 2010
  6. Richard

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:58:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Roger_Nickel wrote:

    >> apple_an_evil_empire_in_the...
    >>> Agreed....but buying their products is optional....most US
    >>> corporations are pretty "evil" ie effective in getting as much as
    >>> possible....and if they cant get it via a business process, they get
    >>> it via lobbying congress....
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >> Looking from the other side --- if the directors of Apple didn't take
    >> every legal measure to make as much money as possible they would risk a
    >> lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty to their shareholders. Another
    >> possibility is that the Apple could become a take-over target for
    >> another less scrupulous company prepared to go the extra mile in
    >> pursuit of profit

    > Really? Have you ever heard of a company facing a lawsuit on the
    > grounds that they didn't "take every legal measure to make as much money
    > as possible"? I haven't.

    The landmark case is Dodge vs Ford, in the US back in 1919 with
    occasional replays through to the late 1960's. In recent times courts
    seem to have taken a broader view of the "interests of shareholders" but
    failure to maximise financial return is still actionable and the
    possibility still, presumably, a consideration for company directors.
    More pragmatically the directors' responsibility is to maintain or
    increase the share price and mass discounting is at odds with the company
    image of quality and style. Apple didn't do so well during their discount
    pricing me-too era in the 1990's (they never could match the price of
    commodity PC hardware).

    Roger_Nickel, Apr 24, 2010