Re: Apple Airport suddenly needs to be rebooted every day

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in

    > I have a client with an AirPort Extreme. He has been using it for
    > several years without a problem. Suddenly EVERY day (definitely when he
    > wakes up in the morning and sometimes at other points in the day - as
    > far as I can tell when the computer is idle) the status light blinks
    > yellow.
    >
    > When this happens he looses the wireless connection. If I plug an
    > ethernet cable into the AirPort it shows up under the AirPort Admin
    > Utility, but is unable to read the configuration to determine what the
    > AP is unhappy about. A simple power cycle fixes the problem.
    >
    > I first thought it might be a problem with the AP so I replaced it with
    > a new one (having the latest firmware).
    > Same problem.
    >
    > I have since replaced all ethernet cables and the Time Warner Road
    > Runner cable modem. Same problem.
    >
    > I even tried a LinkSys router in front of the AP and put the AP in
    > bridge mode, but no joy.
    >
    > A few other points:
    >
    > If I sleep the MacBook I CAN NOT get the problem to happen (I am only
    > waiting max 10 min)
    >
    > We "coincidently" replaced his 3 year old MacBook with a new one (with
    > OS 10.61) a few days before this problem started. I cant see how this
    > could be the problem as it happens when the computer is sleeping and the
    > fix is to reboot the AP not the computer, but the timing is awfully
    > suspicious.

    So this person never shuts off their computer. Not very good. If *I* put
    my computer on standby, I lose my internet connection to this computer
    too. I have to restart. There are other reasons to shut down a computer
    when it's not being used as well - hydro bills, What happens if there's a
    power outage, memory leaks. There's others. Most likely the router.modem
    pools the computer periodically to see if it's still answering. If it's
    not - sleep is only manually deacitvated - then it shuts down that connection.

    I would also hazard a guess that this (apparently widespread) behavior decreases
    the life of the computer significantly.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 10, 2009