Re: App for finding differences between lots of images?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by GordonG, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. GordonG

    GordonG Guest

    "Steven Kan" <> wrote in message
    : (Steven Kan) wrote in message
    : > If I have a folder of 100 images, numbered DSCN0001.jpg through
    : > DSCN0100.jpg, is there an app that will compare DSCNn to DSCNn+1 and
    : > tell me which differences are the largest?
    : >
    : > I have a bird nesting in a birdhouse outside my kitchen window, and I
    : > want to set up my CP990 with an intervalometer to "watch" the
    : > birdhouse. Instead of manually looking at every single picture, I'd
    : > like to be able to diff each image with the previous image, assuming
    : > that when birds are visible the difference will be relatively large.
    : > As the lighting changes throughout the day, I assume that the
    : > difference between each "frame" and the next would be small.
    : >
    : > I have GraphicConverter on the Mac and Photoshop 6 on the PC. Could I
    : > do this with a Photoshop action?
    : >
    : > Thanks!
    :
    : Thanks for all the suggestions, but what I want is to take big ol' 3.3
    : Mpixel images with my Nikon 990, so a motion cam or webcam won't give
    : me the quality I want. I have to put the camera a fair distance from
    : the birdhouse and zoom in, too, so I need to use my best camera.
    :
    : Now if I could use some PC<-->camera controller software and trigger
    : it from the motion-detection software on the other camera, that might
    : work. But that's starting to sound Rube-Goldberg-ish.
    :
    : I was thinking about a Photoshop action that opened DSCNn and DSCNn+1,
    : subtracted one from the other, did threshold filter and saved the
    : result as a GIF. Anything w/o a bird would probably compress down to
    : almost nothing, and anything with a bird should be noticeably larger.
    : I think :)
    :
    : Can a Photoshop action work iteratively through a folder and
    : dynamically create numbered file names for the results?
    :
    : Thanks again for any suggestions.

    Have a look for a proggy called dPeg. It just might be able to do what you
    want. It compares all pictures nominated and tells you which ones are likely
    duplicates. It follows that whatever is left is different. You can vary the
    tolerance too.

    Stop looking, I found it for you :)

    http://www.somewareonthe.net/dpeg.htm

    Gordon