Re: APC smart ups 600

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Jun 13, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:
    > I have old one one of these but its dead....I tried to charge the sealed
    > 12v batteries overnight but I am getting nothing so....I am reluctant to
    > buy two new batteries in case the unit itself is dead....does it need
    > power in the batteries in order to come to life? I think some of the old
    > ones did....ie can I connect up a couple of car batteries to give 24v
    > long enough to see if it switches on?
    >
    > Best place to buy two batteries if this works? Jaycar?

    Assuming they are 12V 7Ah your cheapest option is your local burglar
    alarm suppplies place. I paid about $18 each for the ones I bought last
    week.

    EMB, Jun 13, 2008

  2. EMB

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:

    > Are these deep discharge though? but I may not care....

    Informal testing by one of my colleagues (who uses SLA batteries for
    underwater video lighting) showed that unless you spend *heaps* on
    premium SLA batteries like Sonnenschein (who IIRC invented the
    technology) there's little difference in performance.

    > ie my understanding is these need to be capable of delivering a lot of
    > amps....mind you the occasional blip is so rare that $18 sounds more
    > than enough...

    The $18 ones work ok in my UPS.

    > My first task though is to try and get life out of the electronics....if
    > that proves Ok I will phone around.

    If you were in Auckland I'd lend you a couple of batteries to test it with.

    EMB, Jun 13, 2008