    again you prevented a lot of head scratching.

    Cheers

    Dave.

    Dave, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Dave

    Ed Clarke Guest

    In article <beva7u$9b5rp$-berlin.de>, Dave wrote:
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply regarding this problem, your diagnosis was 100% on the
    > nose, I changed the encapsulation and all is now working, I just need to
    > find some where now that tells me what the difference is between the two so
    > I can understand why it did what it did (or didn't as the case may be), I
    > hate having a fix for something if I don't understand it, anyway, thanks
    > again you prevented a lot of head scratching.

    It fixed a problem here as well. All my equipment is Cisco except for a
    new IBM R31 Thinkpad. I thought the R31 wireless card was bad; changing the
    encapsulation fixed the problem - and the Cisco equipment continued to work
    without any glitches.

    Ed Clarke, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (Ed Clarke) writes:
    | In article <beva7u$9b5rp$-berlin.de>, Dave wrote:
    | > Hi Dan,
    | >
    | > Thanks for your reply regarding this problem, your diagnosis was 100% on the
    | > nose, I changed the encapsulation and all is now working, I just need to
    | > find some where now that tells me what the difference is between the two so
    | > I can understand why it did what it did (or didn't as the case may be), I
    | > hate having a fix for something if I don't understand it, anyway, thanks
    | > again you prevented a lot of head scratching.
    |
    | It fixed a problem here as well. All my equipment is Cisco except for a
    | new IBM R31 Thinkpad. I thought the R31 wireless card was bad; changing the
    | encapsulation fixed the problem - and the Cisco equipment continued to work
    | without any glitches.

    Aironet clients automatically pick up the encapsulation rules used by the
    access point or bridge (as long as you do not turn off Aironet extensions).
    They really did the best they could with a bad situation. Their only fault
    was not guessing the best "default default." (Actually, they were on their
    way to fixing that. They changed the client default to conform to the market
    a while ago. And the AP does know that if you turn off Aironet extensions it
    should revert the default to RFC1042...)

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 15, 2003