Re: AP says Pentax K-7 almost as good as Canon 7D [follow up to'is Pentax a reasonable choice']

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. simon <> wrote:

    > Latest issue of AP http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/magazine/current.php
    > Canon 7D Scores 89% 'Very Good'
    > Pentax K-7 Scores 86% 'Very Good'

    Anyone who thinks a global percentage score can tell you how
    good a camera is outside a narrowly defined usage needs their
    heads examined.

    And that doesn't even include things like size (I've got
    large hands) and knowing the control layout already ...

    > Pentax lags on Autofocus speed, and slightly lower ISO performance at the
    > higher end. But it is £300 less.

    Let's compare the lenses and their qualities and prices ...

    > Once again... if you don't need the faster autofocus and Higher ISO the
    > Pentax is the better buy.

    So, assuming I don't need AF and higher ISO, I save £300 by
    scrapping £2000+ of lenses?

    > If you're a landscape shooter you could buy (or be
    > well on the way to) a decent wide angle with the £300 you save...

    Yep, instead of using the perfectly good wide angles I
    already have, I spend more ... good plan.

    Maybe you are overlooking something in your claim?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 28, 2010

  2. simon <> wrote:

    > Well you'd have to be pretty stupid to sell up and change if you've got
    > £2000+ of lenses that you like... wouldn't you...

    Exactly.

    > However if you're on the first few steps of the ladder and aren't bought
    > into a system maybe it is a different case.

    In that case I'd evaluate
    - lens availability for what I want to do
    - lens quality and lens prices for what I assume will be my lens
    collection
    - history of lens + body compatability, body performance etc.
    - how the body feels in my hands
    - whether the bodty offers what I need
    - upgrade paths
    and so on ...

    and only after all that I'll consider if a £300 cheaper body
    does, in fact, turn out to be cheaper or if I pay more in lenses
    and other gear in the long run.

    In my case, the Pentax wouldn't make the cut due to its' high
    ISO performance, which is crucial to me.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 7, 2010