Re: aol file cleanup?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Unknown, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Unknown

    Unknown Guest

    I'm like you. I don't like AOL, having tried it a few years back. Too many
    ads. I have deleted every file with any name of AOL or known to be an AOL
    file. I never had a problem. You should delete two or three per day and
    leave them in the recycle bin until you are sure their deletion causes no
    problems.
    "LAH" <> wrote in message
    > Well, here comes what is probably the computer challenged question of the
    > month. Sorry if it seems just too stupid.
    >
    > My kids (8 & 11) are always installing new games and it seems that an
    > invitation to try and install AOL is always on the CDs. I don't want AOL
    > and even if I did, given my phone system, it would entail a long distance
    > call. (I have a dial-up connection.) Over the years a number of files

    and
    > folders with regard to AOL have accumulated on the computer.
    >
    > Now the computer is old and the hard drive small and I'd like to clean up
    > some of what I'm sure is trash. However, I don't want to delete something
    > that will make the kid's games unplayable or delete something that my
    > browser needs to function properly. I even found an aol file in the

    windows
    > update setup. The kids games do not require an internet connection to

    play
    > so I don't understand why some of the files I have found on the computer

    are
    > even there.
    >
    > Can someone give me a simplified explanation and tell me if there are any
    > AOL files that I may not want deleted or absolutely should not be deleted?
    > Here is a sample of what I found on my computer:
    >
    > aolback.exe c:\program files\common files\aolback 1614KB application
    >
    > aolinstr.cab c:\windows options\cabs\content\aol 53KB PowerArchiver CAB
    > File
    >
    > needwaol.gif c:\windows\options\cabs\content\aol\images 11 KB gif file
    >
    > awaoll. dll c\windows\intuit\shared 62KB application
    >
    > aolsupp.cab c:\windows update setup files 166 KB powerarchiver CAB file
    >
    > aol c:\Tlcwin\Math6-9 file folder (contains Alias exe 14KB and Alias

    ini
    > 265bytes)
    >
    > s-aol.htm c:\program files\pcfriendly\main\help 1KB html document
    >
    > Thanks and I'm so glad this is largely anonymous as I'm terribly

    embarrassed

    Unknown, Aug 21, 2003