Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by FransHals, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Will Dormann <> wrote in message news:<SGBCc.152632$>...
    > FransHals wrote:
    > > http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/
    > >
    > > I need to do an image back up a machine. This looks like a better
    > > solution than Ghost. Acronis allows you to do scheduled back ups
    > > which is also a plus. Ideally I want to set up the clone machine
    > > next to the older machine. Plug them both into the network and have
    > > the new machine backing up the old once a week or every day.

    > TrueImage is a great program.
    > Incremental backups, scheduling, Linux filesystem support, and native
    > "Network Neighborhood" support are a few of my favorite features.
    >
    > The only place you might run into a snag is that since the recovery CD
    > is Linux-based, you might have trouble if you have some hardware which
    > isn't supported by Linux.
    >
    > I question your "cloning" backup strategy, though. First, cloning is
    > intended for use between drives in a single machine. Even if you could
    > get some way to clone across machines, the hardware would need to be
    > pretty much the same between the machines. And I'm sure you'll
    > probably run into licensing/activation issues with XP if that's your OS.
    >
    > Wouldn't it make more sense to do an "Image" backup. That way you can
    > take advantage of the scheduling, incremental, and other features of
    > TrueImage. Plus you can keep multiple levels of backups, depending on
    > your storage availability and backup needs. Heck, you can even
    > dispense with the whole older machine. Save on power costs, if that's
    > all that you'd be using it for. Just get an external USB2 or Firewire
    > drive. (Or even a spare internal drive)
    >

    > -WD

    The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    1. So should I buy a new machine.
    2. Remove the hard drive & put it in the old machine and do an Image
    Backup.
    3. Move the new drive back to the new machine and just use the new
    machine.
    4. Get an external USB2 or fireware or spare internal and use it on
    the new machine?
    5. Schedule back ups with True Image to the USB/Fireware/second
    internal?

    he moving the image over part from the old machine is what I am
    confused about. I am trying to determine the easiest method.

    Will the new machine work if it is using XP or 2000?

    I think an exernal USB and DVD backs ups may be the safest.

    FransHals, Jun 24, 2004

  2. FransHals

    Will Dormann Guest

    FransHals wrote:

    > The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    > really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    > serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    If you want a backup system for that particular machine, then put
    another hard drive in the system and image to that. Should your main
    drive fail (or a virus hits or whatever), you'll have a backup image on
    your secondary drive.

    If you want the drive to be usable in more than one system (or just want
    to be able to swap out the drive), then get a removable drive bay along
    with the drive.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Jun 24, 2004

  3. FransHals

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    On 24 Jun 2004 14:10:47 -0700, (FransHals)
    wrote:

    >The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    >really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    >serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    There's a very good chance the True Image boot disk will recognize
    your USB1.1 port and allow you to make a non-invasive backup from
    this. I've done this several times on systems with old OS's. Power
    down, plug in the external USB drive, boot to the TI cd or floppies,
    and back up directly to the external drive. Slow, compared to USB2,
    but very low risk.

    >1. So should I buy a new machine.
    >2. Remove the hard drive & put it in the old machine and do an Image
    >Backup.
    >3. Move the new drive back to the new machine and just use the new
    >machine.

    Far easier and less invasive would be to backup to an external via
    boot disk as described above, plug this into the new system, and
    restore to the new HD using the boot disk. Fastest would be to
    install both HDs into the new machine and clone from the old to the
    new. If you screw up and do it backwards, you're toast, which is
    another benefit of the external - it leaves your original intact in
    the existing system. Any problems at all, and you plug the old box
    back in, just like before.

    >4. Get an external USB2 or fireware or spare internal and use it on
    >the new machine?

    Each has benefits and drawbacks. Internal runs both on the same power
    supply, so power supply problems could fry both disks at once. The
    footprint is smaller, though, and there's no external to drop. If the
    internal needed to be replaced, it's riskier to open up the system.

    Externals can be moved around, plugged into other systems for
    archives, replaced/serviced without risking the primary system.
    They're easier to drop or misplace, and external cables (especially
    USB, which are not always very secure) can come loose more easily than
    internals.

    >5. Schedule back ups with True Image to the USB/Fireware/second
    >internal?

    >he moving the image over part from the old machine is what I am
    >confused about. I am trying to determine the easiest method.

    TI7 has a function to clone one disk to another if both are on the
    same machine. Easiest is with an external, since you only need to
    plug USB connectors and boot to TI7.

    >Will the new machine work if it is using XP or 2000?

    Yes, but when you clone the old image over, the new machine will be
    running identically to the old one - same OS, same drives, same
    everything. This can cause a problem with hardware drivers and such.

    >I think an exernal USB and DVD backs ups may be the safest.

    I agree. This is what I do. At home, it has the added benefit that I
    can lock the external drive in the safe when I go on vacation.

    Neil Maxwell, Jun 25, 2004
  4. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 24 Jun 2004 14:10:47 -0700, (FransHals)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    > >really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    > >serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    > There's a very good chance the True Image boot disk will recognize
    > your USB1.1 port and allow you to make a non-invasive backup from
    > this. I've done this several times on systems with old OS's. Power
    > down, plug in the external USB drive, boot to the TI cd or floppies,
    > and back up directly to the external drive. Slow, compared to USB2,
    > but very low risk.
    >
    > >1. So should I buy a new machine.
    > >2. Remove the hard drive & put it in the old machine and do an Image
    > >Backup.
    > >3. Move the new drive back to the new machine and just use the new
    > >machine.

    > Far easier and less invasive would be to backup to an external via
    > boot disk as described above, plug this into the new system, and
    > restore to the new HD using the boot disk. Fastest would be to
    > install both HDs into the new machine and clone from the old to the
    > new. If you screw up and do it backwards, you're toast, which is
    > another benefit of the external - it leaves your original intact in
    > the existing system. Any problems at all, and you plug the old box
    > back in, just like before.
    >
    > >4. Get an external USB2 or fireware or spare internal and use it on
    > >the new machine?

    > Each has benefits and drawbacks. Internal runs both on the same power
    > supply, so power supply problems could fry both disks at once. The
    > footprint is smaller, though, and there's no external to drop. If the
    > internal needed to be replaced, it's riskier to open up the system.
    >
    > Externals can be moved around, plugged into other systems for
    > archives, replaced/serviced without risking the primary system.
    > They're easier to drop or misplace, and external cables (especially
    > USB, which are not always very secure) can come loose more easily than
    > internals.
    >
    > >5. Schedule back ups with True Image to the USB/Fireware/second
    > >internal?

    > >he moving the image over part from the old machine is what I am
    > >confused about. I am trying to determine the easiest method.

    > TI7 has a function to clone one disk to another if both are on the
    > same machine. Easiest is with an external, since you only need to
    > plug USB connectors and boot to TI7.
    >
    > >Will the new machine work if it is using XP or 2000?

    > Yes, but when you clone the old image over, the new machine will be
    > running identically to the old one - same OS, same drives, same
    > everything. This can cause a problem with hardware drivers and such.

    Yeah this may be the rub.

    > >I think an exernal USB and DVD backs ups may be the safest.

    > I agree. This is what I do. At home, it has the added benefit that I
    > can lock the external drive in the safe when I go on vacation.

    Smart.

    Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for. I
    want to do the safets backup first then if I want to throw a second
    drive in the machine - I will have the back up.

    I have bought the software and need to get an external drive. Anyone
    have any preferences? Office Depot has a Maxtor 120 gb for about
    $154.

    FransHals, Jun 25, 2004
  5. FransHals

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    On 25 Jun 2004 15:57:20 -0700, (FransHals)
    wrote:

    >I have bought the software and need to get an external drive. Anyone
    >have any preferences? Office Depot has a Maxtor 120 gb for about
    >$154.

    I buy most of my hardware from www.newegg.com these days, but there's
    a lot to be said for a local vendor if there's not a big price
    difference. Returns are much quicker and easier, if necessary.

    Neil Maxwell, Jun 28, 2004
  6. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    Will Dormann <> wrote in message news:<tvHCc.11$>...
    > FransHals wrote:
    > >
    > > The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    > > really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    > > serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    > If you want a backup system for that particular machine, then put
    > another hard drive in the system and image to that. Should your main
    > drive fail (or a virus hits or whatever), you'll have a backup image on
    > your secondary drive.
    >
    > If you want the drive to be usable in more than one system (or just want
    > to be able to swap out the drive), then get a removable drive bay along
    > with the drive.
    >

    > -WD

    The machine I am running is a 3 to 4 year old HP Pavilion with NT 4.0
    SP6.

    I would like to image using Acronis 7.0 to a new machine and keep the
    new spare as the back up or maybe the old one as the back up.

    The problem is if I go out and buy a new Dell or HP - I can take the
    new drive out and copy an image with Acronis.

    If I plug the new drive in - I will have hardware problems or will I?

    If I will have hardware problems should I:

    1. Try to find a used old Pavilion of the same model?

    2. Open the old Pavilion and try to find the motherboard, BIOS and
    chip set? Is HP motherboard and stuff proprietary?

    Thanks for any input.

    FransHals, Jul 7, 2004
  7. FransHals

    Will Dormann Guest

    Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis DriveImage 7.0?

    FransHals wrote:

    > The machine I am running is a 3 to 4 year old HP Pavilion with NT 4.0
    > SP6.
    >
    > I would like to image using Acronis 7.0 to a new machine and keep the
    > new spare as the back up or maybe the old one as the back up.
    >
    > The problem is if I go out and buy a new Dell or HP - I can take the
    > new drive out and copy an image with Acronis.
    >
    > If I plug the new drive in - I will have hardware problems or will I?

    You probably will. Forget about trying to match the hardware. If
    you back up the system with TrueImage (or whatever), all your data will
    be there.

    If the hardware changes are significant enough that the OS won't even
    boot, then you can try doing an "in-place" OS installation over top of
    what you've got and it should detect any new hardware. Or just install
    whatever OS you like cleanly and then extract the important files from
    the TrueImage backup file.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Jul 7, 2004
  8. FransHals

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    If it is SCSI or RAID, the system will not boot unless the adapter is moved to
    the new system. IDE will have no problems, unless you aren't using Microsoft
    ATAPI.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 8, 2004
  9. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    It is IDE. Thanks guys. I should have the (paid for) copies of NT
    4.0 SP 6 if I need to install NT as he other fellow mentioned. I
    guess I can also probably buy a copy on eBay.

    FransHals, Jul 8, 2004
  10. FransHals

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Will Dormann
    <> wrote:

    >Or just install
    >whatever OS you like cleanly and then extract the important files from
    >the TrueImage backup file.

    This is the technique I use when I help non-techies upgrade. Back up
    the existing system to an image, perform a clean install of the new
    OS, and install an extra backup drive, either internal or external.
    The image of the old system stays on the backup drive, where they can
    mount it and browse stuff they've discovered missing. It works well,
    and is easy to walk someone through.

    Neil Maxwell, Jul 8, 2004
  11. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Will Dormann
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Or just install
    > >whatever OS you like cleanly and then extract the important files from
    > >the TrueImage backup file.

    > This is the technique I use when I help non-techies upgrade. Back up
    > the existing system to an image, perform a clean install of the new
    > OS, and install an extra backup drive, either internal or external.
    > The image of the old system stays on the backup drive, where they can
    > mount it and browse stuff they've discovered missing. It works well,
    > and is easy to walk someone through.

    Many, many thanks to you guys.

    FransHals, Jul 9, 2004
  12. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Dell desktop or server (Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Will Dormann
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Or just install
    > >whatever OS you like cleanly and then extract the important files from
    > >the TrueImage backup file.

    > This is the technique I use when I help non-techies upgrade. Back up
    > the existing system to an image, perform a clean install of the new
    > OS, and install an extra backup drive, either internal or external.
    > The image of the old system stays on the backup drive, where they can
    > mount it and browse stuff they've discovered missing. It works well,
    > and is easy to walk someone through.

    For the spare machine should I get a $349 Dell desktop or one of their
    $399 servers.

    They will actually come out and copy over 3 gig of selected files for
    $85 but I have more than that.

    FransHals, Jul 9, 2004
  13. FransHals

    FransHals Guest

    Re: Dell desktop or server (Re: Backing up to keep a spare machine ( Re:Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    (FransHals) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:20:30 GMT, Will Dormann
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Or just install
    > > >whatever OS you like cleanly and then extract the important files from
    > > >the TrueImage backup file.

    > > This is the technique I use when I help non-techies upgrade. Back up
    > > the existing system to an image, perform a clean install of the new
    > > OS, and install an extra backup drive, either internal or external.
    > > The image of the old system stays on the backup drive, where they can
    > > mount it and browse stuff they've discovered missing. It works well,
    > > and is easy to walk someone through.

    > For the spare machine should I get a $349 Dell desktop or one of their
    > $399 servers.
    >
    > They will actually come out and copy over 3 gig of selected files for
    > $85 but I have more than that.

    I don't see any info about a USB on the server. I assume the desktop
    will have it. The server also does not have an O/S. Can I copy over
    the NT 4.0 SP 6 in my image from he other machine. I guess I could
    plug in the Dell drive in the Old HP Pavilion hough I really don't
    want to take the HP apart.

    FransHals, Jul 11, 2004
  14. FransHals

    J. Clarke Guest

    FransHals wrote:

    > (FransHals) wrote in message
    >> Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message

    >> > This is the technique I use when I help non-techies upgrade. Back up
    >> > the existing system to an image, perform a clean install of the new
    >> > OS, and install an extra backup drive, either internal or external.
    >> > The image of the old system stays on the backup drive, where they can
    >> > mount it and browse stuff they've discovered missing. It works well,
    >> > and is easy to walk someone through.

    >> For the spare machine should I get a $349 Dell desktop or one of their
    >> $399 servers.
    >>
    >> They will actually come out and copy over 3 gig of selected files for
    >> $85 but I have more than that.

    > I don't see any info about a USB on the server. I assume the desktop
    > will have it. The server also does not have an O/S. Can I copy over
    > the NT 4.0 SP 6 in my image from he other machine. I guess I could
    > plug in the Dell drive in the Old HP Pavilion hough I really don't
    > want to take the HP apart.

    I presume you're talking about the 400SC (which incidentally starts at
    $249US at the moment). Has 6 USB 2.0 ports.

    Comparing that with the Dimension 2400, which I presume is the "$349 Dell
    desktop", the 400SC holds 4 gig ECC RAM vs 1 gig non-ECC on the Dimension,
    the 400SC has Rage XL video vs Intel integrated on the 2400. The 400SC has
    2 3.5" internal bays vs 1 on the 2400. The 400SC doesn't include an
    OS--the ones available are 2K/2K3 server variants and RedHat Linux, all for
    server OS prices.

    While you may be able to get your NT4 to run on it, there's no USB support
    in NT and you'll be running the chipset on generic drivers.

    Personally if I was forced to go with one of those two machines I'd go with
    the 400SC, but for me the OS is not an issue at the moment.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Jul 11, 2004
  15. FransHals

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > FransHals wrote:
    >
    > > (FransHals) wrote in message
    > >> Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message

    > >> For the spare machine should I get a $349 Dell desktop or one of their
    > >> $399 servers.
    > >>
    > >> They will actually come out and copy over 3 gig of selected files for
    > >> $85 but I have more than that.

    > > I don't see any info about a USB on the server. I assume the desktop
    > > will have it. The server also does not have an O/S. Can I copy over
    > > the NT 4.0 SP 6 in my image from he other machine. I guess I could
    > > plug in the Dell drive in the Old HP Pavilion hough I really don't
    > > want to take the HP apart.

    > I presume you're talking about the 400SC (which incidentally starts at
    > $249US at the moment). Has 6 USB 2.0 ports.
    >
    > Comparing that with the Dimension 2400, which I presume is the "$349 Dell
    > desktop", the 400SC holds 4 gig ECC RAM vs 1 gig non-ECC on the Dimension,
    > the 400SC has Rage XL video vs Intel integrated on the 2400. The 400SC has
    > 2 3.5" internal bays vs 1 on the 2400. The 400SC doesn't include an
    > OS--the ones available are 2K/2K3 server variants and RedHat Linux, all for
    > server OS prices.
    >
    > While you may be able to get your NT4 to run on it, there's no USB support
    > in NT and you'll be running the chipset on generic drivers.
    >
    > Personally if I was forced to go with one of those two machines I'd go with
    > the 400SC, but for me the OS is not an issue at the moment.

    Thanks.

    FransHals, Jul 12, 2004
  16. Questions about Acronis Drive Image 7.0? (Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 24 Jun 2004 14:10:47 -0700, (FransHals)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The old machine has NT 4.0 SP 6. I would prefer to upgrade but I
    > >really don't want to touch the old machine. It has on the front a
    > >serial pot and USB 1.1. (which NT does not support).

    > There's a very good chance the True Image boot disk will recognize
    > your USB1.1 port and allow you to make a non-invasive backup from
    > this. I've done this several times on systems with old OS's. Power
    > down, plug in the external USB drive, boot to the TI cd or floppies,
    > and back up directly to the external drive. Slow, compared to USB2,
    > but very low risk.

    This sounds stupid but do I load Acronis True Image 7.0 on the old
    machine or do I just use the True Image boot disk that I made?

    Do I "back up" or run the True Image "disk clone" or "create image."

    Thanks for your help.

    Once I have the Image (backup) on the Western Digital external - I
    want to open the Pavilion and put and second drive in and image that.

    Finally, I will remove the new Dell machines drive and plug it in to
    image.
    I will then put it in the Dell and hope it boots. Acronis suggests
    going to MSFT and has some suggestions on making it work on different
    hardware.

    I may also call Dell to see if they will come out to do imaging.

    Bobby Fischler, Jul 24, 2004
  17. FransHals

    doS Guest

    Re: Questions about Acronis Drive Image 7.0? (Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    Learn to read first off.

    doS, Jul 24, 2004
  18. Re: Questions about Acronis Drive Image 7.0? (Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    "doS" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Learn to read first off.
    >
    > "Bobby Fischler" <> wrote in message
    > > Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message

    > > > There's a very good chance the True Image boot disk will recognize
    > > > your USB1.1 port and allow you to make a non-invasive backup from
    > > > this. I've done this several times on systems with old OS's. Power
    > > > down, plug in the external USB drive, boot to the TI cd or floppies,
    > > > and back up directly to the external drive. Slow, compared to USB2,
    > > > but very low risk.

    > > This sounds stupid but do I load Acronis True Image 7.0 on the old
    > > machine or do I just use the True Image boot disk that I made?
    > >
    > > Do I "back up" or run the True Image "disk clone" or "create image."
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >

    > > Once I have the Image (backup) on the Western Digital external - I
    > > want to open the Pavilion and put and second drive in and image that.
    > >
    > > Finally, I will remove the new Dell machines drive and plug it in to
    > > image.
    > > I will then put it in the Dell and hope it boots. Acronis suggests
    > > going to MSFT and has some suggestions on making it work on different
    > > hardware.
    > >
    > > I may also call Dell to see if they will come out to do imaging.

    Thanks for the non help. I am lerry about putting True Image 7.0 on
    the old machine as I don't want any regsitries changed. I doubt TI
    7.0 will do that but if I can use the boot disk it would be better. I
    loaded Nero on another machine once and it fouled up the registries.

    Bobby Fischler, Jul 24, 2004
  19. FransHals

    > > Learn to read first off.
    > >
    > > "Bobby Fischler" <> wrote in message
    > > > Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message

    > > > This sounds stupid but do I load Acronis True Image 7.0 on the old
    > > > machine or do I just use the True Image boot disk that I made?
    > > >
    > > > Do I "back up" or run the True Image "disk clone" or "create image."
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help.
    > > >

    > > > Once I have the Image (backup) on the Western Digital external - I
    > > > want to open the Pavilion and put and second drive in and image that.
    > > >
    > > > Finally, I will remove the new Dell machines drive and plug it in to
    > > > image.
    > > > I will then put it in the Dell and hope it boots. Acronis suggests
    > > > going to MSFT and has some suggestions on making it work on different
    > > > hardware.
    > > >
    > > > I may also call Dell to see if they will come out to do imaging.

    > Thanks for the non help. I am lerry about putting True Image 7.0 on
    > the old machine as I don't want any regsitries changed.

    Anytime you install a program, the registry changes.

    I doubt TI
    > 7.0 will do that but if I can use the boot disk it would be better.

    Ok, but wouldn't you have to install TI on the machine to create the
    bootdisk...

    > loaded Nero on another machine once and it fouled up the registries.

    I doubt Nero fouled up anything. Make sure the machine meets the
    requirements.

    doS, Jul 24, 2004
  20. FransHals

    Al Dykes Guest

    Re: Questions about Acronis Drive Image 7.0? (Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

    In article <>,
    Bobby Fischler <> wrote:
    >"doS" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Learn to read first off.
    >>
    >> "Bobby Fischler" <> wrote in message
    >> > Neil Maxwell <> wrote in message

    >> > This sounds stupid but do I load Acronis True Image 7.0 on the old
    >> > machine or do I just use the True Image boot disk that I made?
    >> >
    >> > Do I "back up" or run the True Image "disk clone" or "create image."
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help.
    >> >

    >> > Once I have the Image (backup) on the Western Digital external - I
    >> > want to open the Pavilion and put and second drive in and image that.
    >> >
    >> > Finally, I will remove the new Dell machines drive and plug it in to
    >> > image.
    >> > I will then put it in the Dell and hope it boots. Acronis suggests
    >> > going to MSFT and has some suggestions on making it work on different
    >> > hardware.
    >> >
    >> > I may also call Dell to see if they will come out to do imaging.

    >Thanks for the non help. I am lerry about putting True Image 7.0 on
    >the old machine as I don't want any regsitries changed. I doubt TI
    >7.0 will do that but if I can use the boot disk it would be better. I
    >loaded Nero on another machine once and it fouled up the registries.

    If you boot TI from the CD it's not going to make ANY changes to
    the disk. With luck it will recognize your ethernet card and you
    will be able to image to another machine, or if you have two disks
    you can image from one to the other.

    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Jul 24, 2004