Re: Anyone recommend Vonage (internet phone service)?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adrian, Aug 20, 2007.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about another internet phone
    > service?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jim H

    Hi Jim,

    FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.

    My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat rate. It is
    easy to set up. It works well consistently. I like their voicemail
    to e-mail. I like their simul-ring option.

    Other VoIP users will tell you that there are many cheaper options.
    You will have to do some research and determine what will work for
    you.

    Adrian
    Adrian, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Adrian

    works fine Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:01:02 -0000, Adrian wrote:

    >On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about another internet phone
    >> service?

    >FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.
    >
    >My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat rate. It is
    >easy to set up. It works well consistently. I like their voicemail
    >to e-mail. I like their simul-ring option.
    >
    >Other VoIP users will tell you that there are many cheaper options.
    >You will have to do some research and determine what will work for
    >you.

    I agree with you. It works well for me and has features that many
    other providers lack. You'll find a whole contingent of VoIP purists
    coming along shortly who will tell you that, because it's not a
    standard SIP service, it's no good. So what? It works out of the box
    and you don't need to be an expert in programming ATAs. So the only
    thing missing is the excitement of working with incomprehensible ATA
    codes. I for one am happy to do without that hassle.
    works fine, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Adrian

    Herman Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about another internet phone
    >> service?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Jim H

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.
    >
    > My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat rate. It is
    > easy to set up. It works well consistently. I like their voicemail
    > to e-mail. I like their simul-ring option.
    >
    > Other VoIP users will tell you that there are many cheaper options.
    > You will have to do some research and determine what will work for
    > you.
    >
    > Adrian

    I have used Vonage in the past, and as an out-of-the-box package. The only
    real technical problem I had with it was CLI was not correctly formatted on
    forwarded calls.

    The reason I switched was cost and being able to play more with the options.

    FWIW I am now with multiple providers (principally voip.co.uk and
    voipcheap.com, ) and pay around £60 pa including calls. I bought a
    Fritz!Box at £150 and this gives me lots of the features that I had on
    Vonage. I also use Voxalot which saves me money on frequently called 0845
    numbers (programmed to use the Geo alternatives), and to be honest, this
    duplicates lots of the Fritz!Box functionality.

    Go with Vonage if you are happy with the features and cost, AND won't want
    to tinker in the future.

    There are cheaper solutions, but not that are out-of-the box.

    Follow-up set to uk.telecom.voip.
    Herman, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Adrian

    Graham. Guest

    "works fine" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? Þ @ Þ ?="> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:01:02 -0000, Adrian wrote:
    >
    >>On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    >>> Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about another internet phone
    >>> service?

    >>FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.
    >>
    >>My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat rate. It is
    >>easy to set up. It works well consistently. I like their voicemail
    >>to e-mail. I like their simul-ring option.
    >>
    >>Other VoIP users will tell you that there are many cheaper options.
    >>You will have to do some research and determine what will work for
    >>you.

    > I agree with you. It works well for me and has features that many
    > other providers lack. You'll find a whole contingent of VoIP purists
    > coming along shortly who will tell you that, because it's not a
    > standard SIP service, it's no good. So what? It works out of the box
    > and you don't need to be an expert in programming ATAs. So the only
    > thing missing is the excitement of working with incomprehensible ATA
    > codes. I for one am happy to do without that hassle.

    I wouldn't argue that Vonage is anything other than a good SIP service.

    The OP has a choice,

    Either go with an out-of -the-box solution like Vonage, or BTBBV, both
    premium products, with a prices to match, or buy your own device
    and configure it yourself (not rocket science) to use a service such as
    sipgate.co.uk, voip.co.uk or one of the many Betamax clones, where
    you will make a real financial saving.
    That's what many of us on uktv have done and never looked back,
    and if someone offers us an even better deal our device isn't locked to the
    original supplier.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 20, 2007
  5. Adrian

    wrote:

    >My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat rate. It is
    >easy to set up. It works well consistently. I like their voicemail
    >to e-mail. I like their simul-ring option.

    And very expensive compared with voip.co.uk who in my opinion are the
    best available in the uk.
    , Aug 20, 2007
  6. Adrian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    : : On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    : : : Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about
    : : : another internet phone service?
    : : :
    : : : Thank you,
    : : :
    : : : Jim H
    : :
    : : Hi Jim,
    : :
    : : FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.

    I recommend this is where it stays.

    : : My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat
    : : rate. It is easy to set up. It works well
    : : consistently. I like their voicemail to e-mail. I
    : : like their simul-ring option.

    If by that you mean several devices registered on the same account ringing
    simultaneously then that isn't limited to Vonage. Most if not all SIP
    services support this, it's called call forking. All devices ring, the
    first to answer gets the call. Even Sipgate (sorry Ron..!) does this.

    As for voicemail to email, this is common also.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Adrian

    Herman Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > : : On Aug 19, 4:07 pm, Jim H <> wrote:
    > : : : Can anyone recommend Vonage? If not, how about
    > : : : another internet phone service?
    > : : :
    > : : : Thank you,
    > : : :
    > : : : Jim H
    > : :
    > : : Hi Jim,
    > : :
    > : : FYI: I am crossposting this to uk.telecom.voip.
    >
    > I recommend this is where it stays.
    >
    > : : My answer is that Vonage works well for me. It is flat
    > : : rate. It is easy to set up. It works well
    > : : consistently. I like their voicemail to e-mail. I
    > : : like their simul-ring option.
    >
    > If by that you mean several devices registered on the same account ringing
    > simultaneously then that isn't limited to Vonage. Most if not all SIP
    > services support this, it's called call forking. All devices ring, the
    > first to answer gets the call. Even Sipgate (sorry Ron..!) does this.
    >
    > As for voicemail to email, this is common also.
    >
    > Ivor

    Simulring is not forking which is just multiple SIP registrations. It is
    parallel ringing (i.e. not confined to just VoIP devices). I use it on the
    Fritz!Box and used it with Vonage so that it rings my mobile at the same
    time.

    The providers that support parallel ringing are few and far between, but you
    just need to get an ATA to support it and a decent broadband connection to
    support two calls. It is obviously better if supported by your provider
    because caller ID is passed on (although slightly corrupted with Vonage),
    but that wasn't a reason to continue shelling out the extra cash.
    Herman, Aug 20, 2007