Re: Anyone own this USB stick?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John W, Oct 18, 2008.

  1. John W

    John W Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > <http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA10012>
    >
    > The price looks OK, Kingston are a fairly reputable memory company...
    >
    > http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt_chart.asp
    >
    > WTF does "standard" speed mean? I've mentioned that I bought an Emtec USB2 4GB
    > USB stick that takes 6 minutes to write a 700MB avi file. It (XP) starts off
    > saying 27 minutes, drops to 19 after 5 seconds, then to 7, then 6 and counts
    > down in real time from 6 minutes. My old (2 years) Imation 2GB takes 90
    > seconds. That's a pretty big difference. (Same machine, same port, same
    > file...)

    http://www.kingston.com/products/pdf_files/FlashMemGuide.pdf

    Could be the difference between slc and mlc tech.
    slc is 5 times faster and 10 times the read/cycle of mlc but
    mlc is cheaper to make so the market seems to have conveniently
    ignored the difference. I have spoken to some backroom boys in
    five different shops including QMB and Oczone and none knew
    what I was talking about. Sales people might be using 'standard' speed
    and 'high' speed to designate the difference.
    fwiw bought an 8gig 'labelled UR25-M' Rundisk from Oczone for $32.

    John W, Oct 18, 2008

  2. John W

    John W Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> <http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA10012>
    >>>
    >>> The price looks OK, Kingston are a fairly reputable memory company...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt_chart.asp
    >>>
    >>> WTF does "standard" speed mean? I've mentioned that I bought an
    >>> Emtec USB2 4GB USB stick that takes 6 minutes to write a 700MB avi
    >>> file. It (XP) starts off saying 27 minutes, drops to 19 after 5
    >>> seconds, then to 7, then 6 and counts down in real time from 6
    >>> minutes. My old (2 years) Imation 2GB takes 90 seconds. That's a
    >>> pretty big difference. (Same machine, same port, same file...)

    >> http://www.kingston.com/products/pdf_files/FlashMemGuide.pdf

    > Clicked the link but my connection is throttled and it's 1.29MB. I might go to
    > bed before it downloads.
    >
    >> Could be the difference between slc and mlc tech.
    >> slc is 5 times faster and 10 times the read/cycle of mlc but
    >> mlc is cheaper to make so the market seems to have conveniently
    >> ignored the difference.

    > There is certainly a difference of around 5 x the speed between the Emtec and
    > the Imation. Emtec 4GB, $25 a month or so back, the Imation 2GB, $60 maybe
    > three years ago.
    >
    >> I have spoken to some backroom boys in
    >> five different shops including QMB and Oczone and none knew
    >> what I was talking about. Sales people might be using 'standard'
    >> speed and 'high' speed to designate the difference.
    >> fwiw bought an 8gig 'labelled UR25-M' Rundisk from Oczone for $32.

    > Is it any good? I ordered the stick above from PP so will report back on it's
    > relative speed when it gets here.

    It's good for me because you can't lose the cap. I find they're too damn easy
    to lose even with them hanging around my neck. I hav'nt done any speed
    tests with them but five times faster would be nice.

    John W, Oct 20, 2008

  3. John W

    John W Guest

    Further to above.. I have here a Rundisk 4gb SLC UR27

    A 1gb folder wrote to the drive in 4 minutes and copied back to
    the desktop in 1 minute.

    The Rundisk 8gb UR25-M wrote it in 11 minutes and copied
    back to desktop in 45 secs.

    John

    John W, Oct 24, 2008
  4. John W

    Lodi Guest

    >On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:34:53 +0430, John W wrote:

    > Further to above.. I have here a Rundisk 4gb SLC UR27
    >
    > A 1gb folder wrote to the drive in 4 minutes and copied back to the
    > desktop in 1 minute.
    >
    > The Rundisk 8gb UR25-M wrote it in 11 minutes and copied back to
    > desktop in 45 secs.
    >
    > John

    Hi John...Apologies for the ignorance but are you saying you wrote the
    1GB folder to a 4GB thumb drive and then wrote the same folder to an 8GB
    thumb drive and got a three-ish to one difference in the write speed. And
    then the "slower drive" wrote back to the desktop faster than the "faster
    drive".

    Does the "M" in UR25-M indicate multi-layer.

    Is SLC v MLC purely a write difference, not a read/write difference.

    What operating system are you using.

    What file system are you writing from and to e.g NTFS, FAT, EXT2/3

    Are you using benchmarking software or plain old dd or My Computer.

    Did you use the same USB port for each test and are your ports USB 2.0

    Do you think storage capacity is a factor in r/w.

    FWIW, I intend to run Ubuntu Intrepid from an 8GB thumb drive as Intrepid
    has a built-in "install to thumb drive" option. It's very handy for quick
    file recovery. I've been following the recent SLC/MLC threads with
    interest and any info I can get on faster thumb drive r/w speeds is good
    to know

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 24, 2008
  5. John W

    John W Guest

    "Lodi" <> wrote in message news:gdrkll$sk7$...
    > >On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:34:53 +0430, John W wrote:

    >> Further to above.. I have here a Rundisk 4gb SLC UR27
    >>
    >> A 1gb folder wrote to the drive in 4 minutes and copied back to the
    >> desktop in 1 minute.
    >>
    >> The Rundisk 8gb UR25-M wrote it in 11 minutes and copied back to
    >> desktop in 45 secs.
    >>
    >> John

    > Hi John...Apologies for the ignorance but are you saying you wrote the
    > 1GB folder to a 4GB thumb drive and then wrote the same folder to an 8GB
    > thumb drive and got a three-ish to one difference in the write speed. And
    > then the "slower drive" wrote back to the desktop faster than the "faster
    > drive".

    Yes

    > Does the "M" in UR25-M indicate multi-layer.

    I don't know. I thought it did

    > Is SLC v MLC purely a write difference, not a read/write difference.

    I don't know. I just did the one test run for misfit.

    > What operating system are you using.

    winxp sp3 on amd athlon 64 3700+

    > What file system are you writing from and to e.g NTFS, FAT, EXT2/3

    ntfs

    > Are you using benchmarking software or plain old dd or My Computer.

    I simply used the 'send to" command and 'copy' to desktop

    > Did you use the same USB port for each test and are your ports USB 2.0

    That's a point. I'm not sure. says standard enhanced in device manager. Used
    the same port.

    > Do you think storage capacity is a factor in r/w.

    When you find out you can tell me :)

    John W, Oct 24, 2008
  6. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    > Further to above.. I have here a Rundisk 4gb SLC UR27
    >
    > A 1gb folder wrote to the drive in 4 minutes and copied back to
    > the desktop in 1 minute.
    >
    > The Rundisk 8gb UR25-M wrote it in 11 minutes and copied
    > back to desktop in 45 secs.

    Handy to know, thanks John.

    Shame we don't all have copies of the same folder / contents to test it. I
    use a single avi file, from what I hear a folder with multiple small files
    takes much longer than one with less big files.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 24, 2008
  7. John W

    John W Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >> Further to above.. I have here a Rundisk 4gb SLC UR27
    >>
    >> A 1gb folder wrote to the drive in 4 minutes and copied back to
    >> the desktop in 1 minute.
    >>
    >> The Rundisk 8gb UR25-M wrote it in 11 minutes and copied
    >> back to desktop in 45 secs.

    > Handy to know, thanks John.
    >
    > Shame we don't all have copies of the same folder / contents to test it. I use
    > a single avi file, from what I hear a folder with multiple small files takes
    > much longer than one with less big files.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    what's inside the case.

    John W, Oct 24, 2008
  8. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Shame we don't all have copies of the same folder / contents to test
    >> it. I use a single avi file, from what I hear a folder with multiple
    >> small files takes much longer than one with less big files.

    > Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    > Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    > Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    > They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    > what's inside the case.

    Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi and the
    results are as follows:

    3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy 22 sec.

    I'm pleased with the Kingston Mini Slim from Paradigm.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2008
  9. John W

    EMB Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Shame we don't all have copies of the same folder / contents to test
    >>> it. I use a single avi file, from what I hear a folder with multiple
    >>> small files takes much longer than one with less big files.

    >> Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    >> Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    >> Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    >> They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    >> what's inside the case.

    > Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi and the
    > results are as follows:
    >
    > 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    > 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    > 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    > 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy 22 sec.
    >
    > I'm pleased with the Kingston Mini Slim from Paradigm.

    DSE are selling Toshiba branded 2GB drives with Readyboost certification
    for $7.49 this weekend if you want another one to play with. Part no XH0616

    EMB, Oct 25, 2008
  10. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >>> Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    >>> Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    >>> Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    >>> They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    >>> what's inside the case.

    >> Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi
    >> and the results are as follows:
    >>
    >> 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    >> 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    >> 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    >> 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy 22
    >> sec. I'm pleased with the Kingston Mini Slim from Paradigm.

    > DSE are selling Toshiba branded 2GB drives with Readyboost
    > certification for $7.49 this weekend if you want another one to play
    > with. Part no XH0616

    Thanks for the tip-off, I might get one if I have to go out. (Was
    considering a trip to Mitre 10, weather dependant...).

    Since I speculated that 'Readboost' certified sticks might be SLC I've
    looked at prices and seen some cheap ones (although not as cheap as this
    one) and have reconsidered. I'm wondering if maybe it's something to do with
    the controller chip in the stick, I've noticed that they behave quite
    differently...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 25, 2008
  11. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >> Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    >> Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    >> Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    >> They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    >> what's inside the case.
    >>

    > Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi and
    > the results are as follows:

    Updated:

    3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    6 m/o Silicon Image 2GB (HN) $30, write: 3.20 min copy: 44 sec.
    2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy: 22 sec.
    1 d/o Toshiba TransMemory 2GB $7.50, write: 1 min 34 sec, copy: 41 sec.
    18 m/o DSE 2GB $30, write: 1 min 54 sec, copy: 33 sec.

    Going by that data the clear winner on price / capacity / performance is the
    Tosh. However it's only available this (Labour) weekend at that price, it's
    advertised as 50% off. The clear winner on speed is the Kingston DT Mini
    Slim and, if the Tosh wasn't discounted the Kingston would also easilly take
    out the best price / capacity / performance device too.

    The Tosh came with a manual (?) and a lanyard (as did the Imation years ago)
    so is actually a pretty damn good deal. Thanks EMB. It looks like the local
    DSE is selling out fast though, they're on a display by the counter and,
    from what I saw in the brief time I was in the store, 50% of people are
    grabbing at least one.

    The Emtec sucks demon scrote in hell! Avoid like the plague.

    Oh, ignore that last bit. I find myself in possesion of more USB sticks than
    I need. Anyone want to buy a cheap Emtec 4GB or Silicon image 1GB? <g>

    All testing was done using the same port on the PC using the same file and
    copying to / from the same destinations. (Source and copied-to destination
    differed [but were constant across tests], files were copied and pasted
    rather than cut and pasted.)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 26, 2008
  12. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >>>
    >>> Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi
    >>> and the results are as follows:
    >>>
    >>> 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    >>> 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    >>> 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    >>> 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy 22
    >>> sec. I'm pleased with the Kingston Mini Slim from Paradigm.

    >> DSE are selling Toshiba branded 2GB drives with Readyboost
    >> certification for $7.49 this weekend if you want another one to play
    >> with. Part no XH0616

    > Thanks for the tip-off, I might get one if I have to go out. (Was
    > considering a trip to Mitre 10, weather dependant...).

    Gah!! Tip, not tip-off. LOL.

    I did buy one, I've updated my original post with results... Also with the
    results of a DSE branded one I had in my key purse and forgot to bench
    earlier.

    > Since I speculated that 'Readboost' certified sticks might be SLC I've
    > looked at prices and seen some cheap ones (although not as cheap as
    > this one) and have reconsidered. I'm wondering if maybe it's
    > something to do with the controller chip in the stick, I've noticed
    > that they behave quite differently...

    "They" meaning different makes and models of USB stick.

    For instance, the Kingston Mini Slim I bought recently, if left plugged into
    the port on my Philips DVP3253 when it's turned off, still flashes it's LED
    every 15 seconds. I've never seen that with any other stick I've used
    before.

    Also, w/r/t the LED on USB sticks, some flash only on write cycles but
    otherwise stay on (my Imation springs to mind), some stay on when not being
    accessed but flash off on both read / write (Emtec) and others still stay
    *off* if not being accessed but flash on read / write (Kingston, Silicon
    Image).

    Then, of the behaviour exhibited by the Silicon Image and the Kingston, the
    SI sticks flash at a constant speed regardless of how fast they're being
    read whereas the Kingston seems to flas every 15 seconds by default but will
    flash faster if it's being accessed faster. (Constantly when being written
    to, between every 2 and 5 seconds when an avi is being read from it..)

    Maybe I'm being a bit OCD about this? I prefer to put it down to curiousity.
    I'm fairly sure that all of my devices are MLC NAND but, obviously, not all
    MLC is created equal.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 26, 2008
  13. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Paul_W" typed:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:11:32 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    >>>
    >>> Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi
    >>> and the results are as follows:
    >>>
    >>> 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    >>> 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    >>> 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    >>> 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy
    >>> 22 sec.
    >>>
    >>> I'm pleased with the Kingston Mini Slim from Paradigm.

    >> DSE are selling Toshiba branded 2GB drives with Readyboost
    >> certification for $7.49 this weekend if you want another one to play
    >> with. Part no XH0616

    > Picked up a 4GB Toshiba from DSE All seems good getting 5 times the
    > write speed compared to my 4GB Emtec
    > The emtec was so slow that some divx's wouldnt play on my usb dvd
    > player
    > Thanks to misfits info Now working fine

    You're welcome Paul. I just bought 2GB Tosh TransMemory from DSE and updated
    my speed tests. The Tosh seems to be a good buy, it seems that my Emtec is
    destined for the bin (or at least the drawer with the black hole in, where
    things seems to vanish, never to be found unless you're not actually looking
    for them).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 26, 2008
  14. John W

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:ge0gas$3kf$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    > Also, w/r/t the LED

    ALWAYS EJECT!
    Lights will lie, and your data will get burned...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 28, 2008
  15. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Taylor" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:ge0gas$3kf$1
    > @registered.motzarella.org:
    >
    >> Also, w/r/t the LED

    > ALWAYS EJECT!
    > Lights will lie, and your data will get burned...

    I do always eject when using on a PC and I've finished reading / writing,
    without fail.

    I was talking about the behavior of the LEDs on various sticks when *in
    use*. The part that concerned me, which you snipped, was:

    "For instance, the Kingston Mini Slim I bought recently, if left plugged
    into
    the port on my Philips DVP3253 when it's turned off, still flashes it's LED
    every 15 seconds. I've never seen that with any other stick I've used
    before."

    This isn't a PC, it's a stand-alone digital video player and doesn't have an
    option to eject. It's in my bedroom and I often watch an avi before going to
    sleep, then turn off the machine with it's remote. With every other stick
    other than the Kingston there is no activity from the stick's LED when the
    machine is off (actually in stand-by really) although most of the sticks
    that have LEDs will flash briefly in insertion / removal. The Kingston alone
    will flash every 15 seconds as long as it's plugged into the machine and the
    machine is plugged into the wall socket.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2008
  16. John W

    bAZZ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    In article <ge0gab$3du$>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
    > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "John W" typed:
    > >> Rundisk 4gb slc ur27 wrote 700mb avi file in 2 minutes
    > >> Rundisk 8gb ur25-m in 2 minutes 15secs
    > >> Both copied back to desktop in about 15secs.
    > >> They were both the cheapest I could find so who knows
    > >> what's inside the case.
    > >>

    > > Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi and
    > > the results are as follows:

    > Updated:
    >
    > 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    > 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    > 6 m/o Silicon Image 2GB (HN) $30, write: 3.20 min copy: 44 sec.
    > 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    > 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy: 22 sec.
    > 1 d/o Toshiba TransMemory 2GB $7.50, write: 1 min 34 sec, copy: 41 sec.
    > 18 m/o DSE 2GB $30, write: 1 min 54 sec, copy: 33 sec.
    >
    > Going by that data the clear winner on price / capacity / performance is the
    > Tosh. However it's only available this (Labour) weekend at that price, it's
    > advertised as 50% off. The clear winner on speed is the Kingston DT Mini
    > Slim and, if the Tosh wasn't discounted the Kingston would also easilly take
    > out the best price / capacity / performance device too.
    >
    > The Tosh came with a manual (?) and a lanyard (as did the Imation years ago)
    > so is actually a pretty damn good deal. Thanks EMB. It looks like the local
    > DSE is selling out fast though, they're on a display by the counter and,
    > from what I saw in the brief time I was in the store, 50% of people are
    > grabbing at least one.
    >
    > The Emtec sucks demon scrote in hell! Avoid like the plague.
    >
    > Oh, ignore that last bit. I find myself in possesion of more USB sticks than
    > I need. Anyone want to buy a cheap Emtec 4GB or Silicon image 1GB? <g>

    Hi Shaun

    How's things ? My 1st post in a looooong time :) Only been back to
    reading usenet couple days and catching up on things. I'll catch up with
    you by email and fill you in on all thats been happening. You still have
    my addy ?

    anyway I'll be a taker for those sticks if you want to unload them. My
    boy has been hounding me to get him a new one and I'm sick of him
    "borrowing" mine. Never see them again <g>.

    Drop me a line and we can sort out things regarding price etc if you
    like.

    Bye for now

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Nov 6, 2008
  17. John W

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: USB stick speeds. Was: Anyone own this USB stick?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "bAZZ" typed:
    > In article <ge0gab$3du$>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
    >>>>
    >>> Cool. I've just tested the sticks I have on-hand with a 700MB avi
    >>> and the results are as follows:

    >> Updated:
    >>
    >> 3 m/o Emtec 4GB $25, write: 5 min 35 sec (!) copy: 37 sec.
    >> 6 m/o Silicon Image 1GB (HN) $20, write: 3.00 min copy: 47 sec.
    >> 6 m/o Silicon Image 2GB (HN) $30, write: 3.20 min copy: 44 sec.
    >> 2 y/o Imation swivel 2GB $60, write: 2 min 5 sec, copy: 30 sec.
    >> 1 w/o Kingston DT Mini Slim 4GB $23, write: 1 min 20 sec, copy:
    >> 22 sec. 1 d/o Toshiba TransMemory 2GB $7.50, write: 1 min 34 sec,
    >> copy: 41 sec. 18 m/o DSE 2GB $30, write: 1 min 54 sec, copy: 33
    >> sec.
    >>
    >> Going by that data the clear winner on price / capacity /
    >> performance is the Tosh. However it's only available this (Labour)
    >> weekend at that price, it's advertised as 50% off. The clear winner
    >> on speed is the Kingston DT Mini Slim and, if the Tosh wasn't
    >> discounted the Kingston would also easilly take out the best price /
    >> capacity / performance device too.
    >>
    >> The Tosh came with a manual (?) and a lanyard (as did the Imation
    >> years ago) so is actually a pretty damn good deal. Thanks EMB. It
    >> looks like the local DSE is selling out fast though, they're on a
    >> display by the counter and, from what I saw in the brief time I was
    >> in the store, 50% of people are grabbing at least one.
    >>
    >> The Emtec sucks demon scrote in hell! Avoid like the plague.
    >>
    >> Oh, ignore that last bit. I find myself in possesion of more USB
    >> sticks than I need. Anyone want to buy a cheap Emtec 4GB or Silicon
    >> image 1GB? <g>
    >>

    > Hi Shaun
    >
    > How's things ? My 1st post in a looooong time :)

    I wondered where you'd got to. I'm good mate, hope you are too.

    > Only been back to
    > reading usenet couple days and catching up on things. I'll catch up
    > with you by email and fill you in on all thats been happening. You
    > still have my addy ?

    Just checked, I have three addys for you, I'll try the gmail one...

    > anyway I'll be a taker for those sticks if you want to unload them. My
    > boy has been hounding me to get him a new one and I'm sick of him
    > "borrowing" mine. Never see them again <g>.

    The 4GB has gone, sold it to a mate cheaply who wanted some data when he
    visited and asked me to burn to DVDR. I offered him an alternative option...
    Still have the 1GB though, it's yours.

    Shame you missed that DSE labour weekend special on Tosh sticks. $7.50 for a
    2GB and they're pretty damn fast too. The other sizes weren't so bargain
    (1GB - $5, 4GB - $20 IIRC) but if I'd had the cash spare I would have
    considered the 8GB for $40....

    > Drop me a line and we can sort out things regarding price etc if you
    > like.

    Email sent buddy.

    Cheers,
    --