Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? Thisis nuts....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/10/2010 11:22 PM, Unhappy wrote:
    > I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
    > XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
    > ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
    >
    > My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
    > are correct, so it's not there.
    >
    > Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
    > the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
    > are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
    > re-generated.
    >
    > I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
    > choice.
    >
    > Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
    >
    > Normally it should be in Doc& Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
    > but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
    > either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
    > the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
    > the folder.
    >
    > After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
    > has had this issue.
    >
    > Anyone out there have any ideas?
    > (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

    XP-64 has two versions of Internet Explorer

    64 bit and 32 bit...

    each has their own folder...so it looks like you might have switched
    versions without knowing it

    philo, Sep 11, 2010

  2. philo

    philo Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

    philo, Sep 12, 2010

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/11/2010 08:53 PM, MeAtHome wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:06:11 -0500, philo<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/11/2010 06:02 PM, MeAtHome wrote:

    >>> This is an interesting response. I just read on an MS page about the
    >>> two versions, which was complete news to me.
    >>>
    >>> I briefly looked around my sys, but couldn't figure out how to switch
    >>> between the two. Do 'you' know how?
    >>> (Remember, I can't find any of the folders relating to either).

    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

    > Well a big DUH on my part. Sheesh...but in my stupid defense, I rarely
    > use the 'start menu' for anything.
    >
    > Interestingly enough, turns out I've been using the 32-bit version all
    > along, when, here I thought, it was the other way around.
    >
    > But just for the record, the 'visited links' issue still remains, and
    > they are still showing up as 'visited' in the 64-bit version that I've
    > never used until now. (I'm trying to get them to show as
    > 'purple'...they have recently changed to 'light blue' which is
    > difficult to see unless I look close.) What this means is...both
    > versions are using the same History folder, which by the way, thanks
    > to Agent Ransack, it 'did' find for me. Turns out the folder is
    > completely hidden from Explorer view. Crazy.
    > And...there is 'no' index.bat, so it looks like I can't fix my
    > problem.

    Then (at least for trouble-shooting purposes) you need to enable Windows
    explorer to see hidden files...you will in fact have an index.dat file.
    The hidden history folder (or possibly folders)
    will also be visible

    philo, Sep 12, 2010