Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? This is nuts....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zu Arsschlaark!, Sep 12, 2010.

  1. "MeAtHome" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:19:05 +0100, "Zu Arsschlaark!"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Unhappy" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
    >>> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
    >>> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
    >>>
    >>> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
    >>> are correct, so it's not there.
    >>>
    >>> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
    >>> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
    >>> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
    >>> re-generated.
    >>>
    >>> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
    >>> choice.
    >>>
    >>> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
    >>>
    >>> Normally it should be in Doc & Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
    >>> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
    >>> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
    >>> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
    >>> the folder.
    >>>
    >>> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
    >>> has had this issue.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there have any ideas?
    >>> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

    >>I know the 'windows search' wont list those folders.
    >>[i know from using win2kpro and vista 32/64]
    >>try 'agent ransack' [free] to search from the root.
    >>say, *.jp* after accessing a site with pictures, even tick the date
    >>modified
    >>to refine it.
    >>it ought to list the locations.
    >>you'll recky the location of the cache among that lot.
    >>well it worked for me.
    >>from one windows to another it seemed they decided to 'modify' the
    >>location
    >>of teh cache and confuse me!

    > Thanks for the tip on Agent Ransack.
    > It 'did' find the folder, which, turns out, is completely hidden in
    > Explorer view. That's stupid.

    i think it uses 'explorer' to display the 'search'. or any 'browse to
    folder' attempts.
    as noticed it wont show certain folders.
    stupid, yes.
    guess they dont want anyone to access stuff which sites dont want saved
    locally.
    or think it will spam the results unnecessarily.
    sod that, show us the works!

    > No index.bat file however in 64-bit, so it looks like I can't fix my
    > problem.

    *index.dat!

    Zu Arsschlaark!, Sep 12, 2010