Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? This is nuts....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Unhappy <> wrote in

    > I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
    > XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
    > ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
    >
    > My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
    > are correct, so it's not there.
    >
    > Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
    > the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
    > are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
    > re-generated.
    >
    > I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
    > choice.
    >
    > Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
    >
    > Normally it should be in Doc & Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
    > but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
    > either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
    > the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
    > the folder.
    >
    > After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
    > has had this issue.
    >
    > Anyone out there have any ideas?
    > (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

    Tools->internet options. Where it always is. *never* delete files
    manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
    yourself.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 11, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > Unhappy <> wrote in
    >
    > *never* delete files
    > manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
    > yourself.

    What about a file I have created with, say, my favourite editor?
    rf, Sep 11, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    John Holmes Guest

    chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Unhappy <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
    >> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
    >> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
    >>
    >> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
    >> are correct, so it's not there.
    >>
    >> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
    >> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
    >> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
    >> re-generated.
    >>
    >> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
    >> choice.
    >>
    >> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
    >>
    >> Normally it should be in Doc & Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
    >> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
    >> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
    >> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
    >> the folder.
    >>
    >> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
    >> has had this issue.
    >>
    >> Anyone out there have any ideas?
    >> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)
    >>

    > Tools->internet options. Where it always is. *never* delete files
    > manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
    > yourself.

    Why not? There *are* people in this world who know what each and every
    file in windows is supposed to do.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Sep 11, 2010