Re: Anyone know how to "stitch" 2 PDFs together with Adobe Acrobat? (I have AA6)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Leythos, Apr 9, 2010.

  1. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > No to append pages, but to actually stitch two half pages together ...
    >
    > My scanner here at home doesn't scan tabloid or 11"x17"-sized paper.
    > I need to scan to searchable PDF (which means text-style). I can
    > place the documents sideways so that about 60% of each page is scanned
    > each time though that doesn't give me full pages.
    >
    > If this were scanning to an image file, I'd just take the 2 pictures
    > into a photo editor and piece them together, cutting out the
    > overlapping bits, and then would merge the layers. No problems there.
    >
    > But I haven't been able to figure out how to cut up a PDF and stitch
    > it together with another one in a similar fashion. Is there even such
    > a thing possible, anyone know?
    >
    > The challenge here is that I'm talking about a searchable PDF vs. a
    > regular one so I wouldn't want to lose that text "searchability"
    > either. thx

    Since you're scanning to text, why not do it in Word and then print it
    to a PDF?

    If you scan to JPG/TIF directly you won't be able to "search" as it's
    just a picture.

    Trust yourself.
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Apr 9, 2010

  2. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Actually, it turned out to be a moot point since I'm guessing that the
    > scanner converts to an unsearchable PDF has both images _and_ text. I
    > scanned the article to searchable PDF so that each page came out to be
    > 2 pieces in 8.5x11" size. When I tried to select text, it couldn't,
    > so that means that this didn't work anyway. Sometimes, that's not the
    > case. I guess each scan I'll have to try first.

    99% of scanning is done to a graphic, so it's not searchable. To get a
    searchable text you have to have a product that does OCR, and most cheap
    OCR solutions are inaccurate.

    Leythos, Apr 10, 2010

  3. Leythos

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-04-10, Fairfax <> wrote:

    [...]

    > The searchable text feature is awesome. In a no-images file, like
    > typed pages, I get a result that looks likes the original typed pages.

    [...]

    Sounds as though your scanner came with a software package that includes
    an OCR program :))

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 10, 2010