    sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
    the rebate expiration date had come.

    They are scandalous.
    jnoneill, Dec 18, 2004

  2. jnoneill

    Nil Guest

    On 18 Dec 2004, -spam.invalid (jnoneill) wrote
    in news:41c4a1de$:

    > I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive
    > from Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer.
    > First of all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them
    > every code on the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC
    > code was not sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a
    > gift certificate or other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code
    > left on the box to send them.

    I ALWAYS keep a xerox of the bar code and all receipts before I send
    the rebates out. I've never actually need them yet, but I assume I'll
    get into your predicament some day and I'll be glad I have some backup.
    Nil, Dec 19, 2004

  3. "jnoneill" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive from
    > Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer. First of
    > all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them every code on
    > the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC code was not
    > sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a gift certificate or
    > other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code left on the box to send
    > them. In the email, they didn't include a contact number or anything
    > - that's because they don't want you to get in touch with them. I
    > sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
    > the rebate expiration date had come.
    >
    > They are scandalous.

    IMHO, almost all mail-in rebates are scams. They will either magically
    "lose yours" in the mail, say that you didn't include something that you
    actually did, or require some obscure "proof of purchase" that they are
    ambigious about in their instructions. The only recourse is to do like Nil
    suggested...Xerox everything that you send in!

    About a month ago, my dad bought a chair from OfficeDepot that had a $50
    mail-in rebate. He sent it in on time, and even got it postmarked before
    the due date. However, they had the gall to decline him and say that the
    rebate offer had expired before they processed it. Fortunately, he had
    saved copies of *everything* and so he went to the local OfficeDepot where
    he bought it and just reemed them a new one until they gave him the $50
    rebate themselves.

    I sent in a rebate for a 100-pack of CD-rs I bought at Best Buy last April.
    I never got as damn much as a reply, but I gave up because I didn't think to
    copy and document all my stuff. Needless to say, that's the last time I'll
    ever send in a rebate without copying anything. That's also the last time
    I'll ever shop at Best Buy.
    Patrick Michael, Dec 19, 2004
  4. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:44:26 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >"jnoneill" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive from
    >> Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer. First of
    >> all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them every code on
    >> the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC code was not
    >> sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a gift certificate or
    >> other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code left on the box to send
    >> them. In the email, they didn't include a contact number or anything
    >> - that's because they don't want you to get in touch with them. I
    >> sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
    >> the rebate expiration date had come.
    >>
    >> They are scandalous.

    >IMHO, almost all mail-in rebates are scams. They will either magically
    >"lose yours" in the mail, say that you didn't include something that you
    >actually did, or require some obscure "proof of purchase" that they are
    >ambigious about in their instructions. The only recourse is to do like Nil
    >suggested...Xerox everything that you send in!
    >
    >About a month ago, my dad bought a chair from OfficeDepot that had a $50
    >mail-in rebate. He sent it in on time, and even got it postmarked before
    >the due date. However, they had the gall to decline him

    I couldn't resist this Patrick...first the recline him, then they
    decline him...I know, it's likely not a reclining chair, but I think
    in strange ways. :)

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 19, 2004
  5. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Pat,
    >
    > I do over 200 rebates per year. I get almost all of them with no further
    > action on my part. On less than 10% of them, some for of followup is
    > necessary, but I "ultimately" only fail to get 2 or 3 per year.
    >
    > [Right now my "balance" of outstanding rebates is over $1,000, which, for
    > me, is not at all unusual.]
    >
    > But yes, you SHOULD, ROUTINELY make copies of the ENTIRE submission
    > (rebate form, receipt, UPC code) for EVERY rebate.
    >
    > And Kudos to Symantec, I had FIVE "Norton" rebates from Black Friday
    > (November 26th) in my mailbox on December 8th.

    I guess a lot of it depends on who you're dealing with. I have had *very*
    bad luck with rebates from BestBuy and such, but other rebates from like
    Verizon and major computer companies (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) have usually
    been pretty easy.
    Patrick Michael, Dec 20, 2004