Re: Anyone have trouble installing stuff on XP on PC with over 1GBRAM?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > He says it didn't work for him. Has anyone else had trouble
    > installing anything on XP where you have over 1GB RAM? Googling, it
    > seems to be a common problem. I only have 1GB RAM and have had no
    > trouble at all.

    I look after a *lot* of PCs with XP and 2GB or more RAM. They have
    never given any software install problems of the sort you describe, nor
    have we ever had to take the sort of action you suggest.
    EMB, Aug 22, 2008

  2. EMB

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-22, EMB <> wrote:
    > Nighthawk wrote:
    >> He says it didn't work for him. Has anyone else had trouble
    >> installing anything on XP where you have over 1GB RAM? Googling, it
    >> seems to be a common problem. I only have 1GB RAM and have had no
    >> trouble at all.

    > I look after a *lot* of PCs with XP and 2GB or more RAM. They have
    > never given any software install problems of the sort you describe, nor
    > have we ever had to take the sort of action you suggest.

    What action was Nighthawk suggesting? To me it was none, thus it was why he
    posted in this ng.

    Oh, the action is posting to this ng.

    Oh dear, have I fed a troll? ;-)
    Gordon, Aug 23, 2008

  3. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-08-22, EMB <> wrote:
    >> Nighthawk wrote:
    >>> He says it didn't work for him. Has anyone else had trouble
    >>> installing anything on XP where you have over 1GB RAM? Googling, it
    >>> seems to be a common problem. I only have 1GB RAM and have had no
    >>> trouble at all.

    >> I look after a *lot* of PCs with XP and 2GB or more RAM. They have
    >> never given any software install problems of the sort you describe, nor
    >> have we ever had to take the sort of action you suggest.

    > What action was Nighthawk suggesting? To me it was none, thus it was why he
    > posted in this ng.

    In his original post he states:

    > I sent him this possible solution (direct quote from site):
    >
    > " Go to Start, Run and type msconfig, press Enter. You should get the
    > System Configuration Utility. Go to the BOOT.INI tab, click on
    > Advanced Options, check the box /MAXMEM= and fill in a low amount of
    > memory. (Rick Selby www.rselby.net/xperrorcodes.htm, where I got this
    > information, recommends 256, but I found that programs like Photoshop
    > will not install at all with less then 1024, so you might have to
    > experiment.)
    >
    > Now go to the Services tab and click Disable All. You will find that
    > some services are still checked after you do this. On my machine,
    > DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator, and
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC) were still checked after I clicked on
    > Disable All. Leave these checked -- they have a 'yes' in the
    > Essential column. Now, scan down the list of services and find
    > Windows Installer and check this one too. Now click OK on the System
    > Configuration Utility. You will get a Restart message.
    >
    > After you restart you will get a warning box about msconfig, close
    > this and try to install your program. After it goes in successfully
    > (usually) you can reset msconfig to normal (Normal Startup on the
    > General tab) and restart again.

    That looks like he was suggesting an action.
    EMB, Aug 23, 2008