Re: Anyone have trouble installing stuff on XP on PC with over 1GB RAM?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > My friend down south has tried to install Acronis True Image Home v11
    > and gets this error message:
    >
    > Acronis, TrueImage11.8053_s_en.exe, TrueImage Home 11, E0001006F
    > Failed to read file. Cannot read from file, a possible reason might be
    >
    > I sent him this possible solution (direct quote from site):
    >
    > " Go to Start, Run and type msconfig, press Enter. You should get the
    > System Configuration Utility. Go to the BOOT.INI tab, click on
    > Advanced Options, check the box /MAXMEM= and fill in a low amount of
    > memory. (Rick Selby www.rselby.net/xperrorcodes.htm, where I got this
    > information, recommends 256, but I found that programs like Photoshop
    > will not install at all with less then 1024, so you might have to
    > experiment.)
    >
    > Now go to the Services tab and click Disable All. You will find that
    > some services are still checked after you do this. On my machine,
    > DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator, and
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC) were still checked after I clicked on
    > Disable All. Leave these checked -- they have a 'yes' in the
    > Essential column. Now, scan down the list of services and find
    > Windows Installer and check this one too. Now click OK on the System
    > Configuration Utility. You will get a Restart message.
    >
    > After you restart you will get a warning box about msconfig, close
    > this and try to install your program. After it goes in successfully
    > (usually) you can reset msconfig to normal (Normal Startup on the
    > General tab) and restart again.
    >
    > This procedure worked for me with Acronis True Image, Adobe CS3
    > (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks) Poser and
    > Vue Esprit. The only program I have not been able to install using
    > this technique is Adobe Acrobat. "
    >
    > He says it didn't work for him. Has anyone else had trouble
    > installing anything on XP where you have over 1GB RAM? Googling, it
    > seems to be a common problem. I only have 1GB RAM and have had no
    > trouble at all.

    2GB in this machine, XP Pro and never a problem like that. I have Acronis TI
    Home ver11 installed actually. I've never had to mess with maxmem...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 22, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 01:50:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nighthawk" typed:
    >>> My friend down south has tried to install Acronis True Image Home
    >>> v11 and gets this error message:
    >>>
    >>> Acronis, TrueImage11.8053_s_en.exe, TrueImage Home 11, E0001006F
    >>> Failed to read file. Cannot read from file, a possible reason might
    >>> be you do not have permission to perform this operation
    >>>
    >>> I sent him this possible solution (direct quote from site):
    >>>
    >>> " Go to Start, Run and type msconfig, press Enter. You should get
    >>> the System Configuration Utility. Go to the BOOT.INI tab, click on
    >>> Advanced Options, check the box /MAXMEM= and fill in a low amount of
    >>> memory. (Rick Selby www.rselby.net/xperrorcodes.htm, where I got
    >>> this information, recommends 256, but I found that programs like
    >>> Photoshop will not install at all with less then 1024, so you might
    >>> have to experiment.)
    >>>
    >>> Now go to the Services tab and click Disable All. You will find
    >>> that some services are still checked after you do this. On my
    >>> machine, DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    >>> Locator, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) were still checked after I
    >>> clicked on Disable All. Leave these checked -- they have a 'yes'
    >>> in the Essential column. Now, scan down the list of services and
    >>> find Windows Installer and check this one too. Now click OK on the
    >>> System Configuration Utility. You will get a Restart message.
    >>>
    >>> After you restart you will get a warning box about msconfig, close
    >>> this and try to install your program. After it goes in successfully
    >>> (usually) you can reset msconfig to normal (Normal Startup on the
    >>> General tab) and restart again.
    >>>
    >>> This procedure worked for me with Acronis True Image, Adobe CS3
    >>> (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks) Poser and
    >>> Vue Esprit. The only program I have not been able to install using
    >>> this technique is Adobe Acrobat. "
    >>>
    >>> He says it didn't work for him. Has anyone else had trouble
    >>> installing anything on XP where you have over 1GB RAM? Googling, it
    >>> seems to be a common problem. I only have 1GB RAM and have had no
    >>> trouble at all.

    >> 2GB in this machine, XP Pro and never a problem like that. I have
    >> Acronis TI Home ver11 installed actually. I've never had to mess
    >> with maxmem...

    > Was it a single stick or 2x 1GB sticks? The PC I built for a friend a
    > while ago had a single 2GB stick. I installed the Seagate version of
    > True Image and never had any trouble installing it.

    2 x 1GB in dual-channel mode.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2008