Re: Anyone have experience with RAMBUS RAM?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by RICHARD reason, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. rambus must be installed as pairs all banks must have a chip or a blank in
    there. example bank 1 has 2 slots bank 2 has 2 slots if you have 2 128 mb
    chips put one 128mb in bank1 with a blank put 1 128 mb in bank 2 with a
    blank , all slots either have to have a chip or a blank in it ok

    RICHARD reason, Aug 12, 2003

  2. That is not true in all cases. Pentium 3 boards using the 820 chipset
    do NOT use Rambus memory in pairs. There are 4 different chipsets using
    RDRAM, and quite a few different types of modules in at least 4 speed
    grades and two bus widths (and many more variants when you get into
    internal architecture within the module and internal chips, which DOES
    matter when you mix them or when you run into internal device
    limitiations). There is also ECC and non-ECC. We don't know what type
    of system this guy is dealing with, but from his description, it might
    well be a Pentium 3 system in which the RDRAM is not installed in pairs.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Houdey (I love my spelling, I rewrite the language),

    If you would just humor me and put the 256 RIMMS in the 1st bank with the C-RIMMS in the 2nd and boot up the system, if system works
    fine, then stick in the 64's where the C-RIMMS where. That should do it unless you have density issues.

    The Pugmaster
    (Just a normal gun loving computer geek.)

    "pmb2k" <> wrote in message news:p...

    Hi guys

    Hope someone out here can help me with Rambus memory.

    I had originally 2 strips of 64mb rambus pc800 memory inside pc, also
    it had 2 continuinity modules (blank modules). I recently bought 2
    strips of 256mb pc800 rambuss non ecc and are obviously exactly the
    same as each other.

    After trying to upgrade the memory, ive tried various swap methods on
    the motherboard, even updating the BIOS as it stated some problems
    occurred with Intel 850 motherboards whilst upgrading rd ram. But still
    no joy on getting the memory to work whether it be all together, with
    the blank modules in or memory on its own?

    When i put the original strips back in with the blank modules , guess
    what IT WORKS!!!!

    Great eh, NOT! im confused and rather upset after spending what was a
    xmas pressie as well, dont know whether anyone can help or not but its
    driving me INSANE

    pmb2k
    Sign up for free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US
    The Pugmaster, Dec 31, 2003