Re: Anyone has 3700 with WIC1-ADSL ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, May 26, 2012.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > Hello
    > I would like to ask any of you if:
    >
    > Cisco 3700 + WIC ADSL
    >
    > IOS 12.4
    >
    > In the int atm0/0 (internal WIC slot of the 3700) what is the maximum value
    > that you can set in clock-rate AAL5 ?
    >
    > C2600 has 700000, c1700 has 800000
    >
    > Can you help me?
    >
    > thank you

    I have used it in the past, but I found it very disappointing.
    An external consumer-grade ADSL modem easily outperforms this
    WIC1-ADSL. Maybe the design is too noisy.
    Rob, May 26, 2012

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > Hello Rob.
    >
    > I am finding too that the WICs works good with medium DSL lines, for example
    > <4Mbit
    >
    > I have a full 7Mbit that works OK on a 877, but sluggish on a 2600XM with
    > WIC.
    >
    > It works almost OK with a 1721 (maybe aal5rate 800000).
    >

    > I have DSL lines RFC1483 routed.
    >
    > How can I configure them with a 2600 + external eth modem ?

    My experience in the past was with 8 Mbit ADSL. The WIC1 had
    very poor performance at that rate in both a 3725 and a 1721.

    I have then connected external Alcatel/Thomson 520 modems and all
    problems were over.
    We have PPPoA here, and I was able to configure the 520 with a
    transparent bridge between PPPoA and the ethernet connection.
    I don't know what is possible with RFC1483, but your goal should
    be to configure the modem in such a way that it does not perform
    any NAT function and just forwards all traffic for the internet
    IP address to the ethernet port. You configure the router with
    that address on the ethernet port and a default gateway of the
    modem address (e.g. 10.0.0.138)

    However, it may be better to junk the whole hardware and get a
    modern ADSL router, e.g. 877 or 887. Those modern boxes perform
    a lot better, you don't need a WIC, have more ethernet ports, etc.
    Rob, May 26, 2012

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have plenty of 2600XM routers that performs super-well with 12.4-25c IOS
    > on them.
    > I do QoS outgoing, and they are perfect for what I do.
    >
    > I have some 877 but they were bought new. Since I have a lot of 2600 I would
    > try to use them first.
    >
    > They just have to do NAT and ACL in and outbound, QoS (policy map).
    >
    > I tried them FE to FE and they worked flawlessy

    Yes, all of that is fine. As long as you stay away from the WIC1-ADSL.
    Rob, May 27, 2012