Re: Anyone else concerned about anti-competitive dumping strategies?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Jason wrote:

    > I like getting cheap CDs as much as the next guy, but I'm concerned about
    > the effect Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.'s dumping strategies are having on
    > smaller music/movie dealers, even smaller chains.
    >
    > This week Circuit City has been selling the Two Towers for about $15. I've
    > heard they are losing about four bucks per sale at that price. Supposedly
    > the idea is to "get people in the door", which, the way I see it, is another
    > way of saying "stop people from going anywhere else". Am I missing something
    > here? Don't we have anti-dumping laws in this country? Perhaps there are
    > some lawyers posting here who could sort this out for me. I'd like to know
    > more about the technicalities behind this sort of thing.

    I hate getting quality merchandise below cost. What kind of world are
    we living in when this evil is allowed to perpetuate?

    > There's a Wherehouse (sp?) Music store near my house that recently went out
    > of business. With multi-department stores adopting this kind of strategy
    > with music and video titles, I'm amazed ANY music/movie-only dealers are
    > still in business. Department stores are selling items below cost to
    > eliminate competitors on a grand scale. Last time I checked that is
    > illegal., and at the very least it's unethical.

    Online DVD places continue to do well, and you get better deals there
    than in stores. www.dvdpricesearch.com

    See? Without government help the free market came up with a solution
    for smaller businesses to compete.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Floyd Patel Guest

    In article <N4T4b.92966$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Online DVD places continue to do well, and you get better deals there
    > than in stores. www.dvdpricesearch.com
    >
    > See? Without government help the free market came up with a solution
    > for smaller businesses to compete.

    Yeah, good thing the government had nothing to do with creating the
    internet....

    Floyd Patel, Sep 7, 2003