Re: any way to batch convert Canon RAW to JPG?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:52:37 -0700, in
    <>, Eric Johnson
    <> said:

    >I have a Canon PowerShot G3, and am wondering if there is any way to
    >take a bunch of images that I've saved in the RAW format and batch
    >convert them to JPG?

    Eh? Unless Canon have broken Zoombrowser since I last used it, you can
    tag a batch of files & bulk convert them to JPEG or TIFF.

    >While I'm here, is there really much advantage to shooting / saving in
    >RAW format on the Canon G3?

    Hell yes. I shoot in RAW mode on both my 10D & S30.

    > If I were to switch to using JPG, the
    >highest quality, largest file, etc, would there be any noticeable loss
    >in quality?

    Definitely. You lose about 2-3 stops of dynamic range.

    >Thanks,
    >Eric

    No problem, I hope you find this info useful.

    Lionel, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Lionel

    Ptarmigan Guest

    "Eric Johnson" <> wrote in message
    | On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:26:07 +1000, Lionel <> wrote:
    |
    | >On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:52:37 -0700, in
    | ><>, Eric Johnson
    | ><> said:
    | >
    | >>I have a Canon PowerShot G3, and am wondering if there is any way to
    | >>take a bunch of images that I've saved in the RAW format and batch
    | >>convert them to JPG?
    | >
    | >Eh? Unless Canon have broken Zoombrowser since I last used it, you can
    | >tag a batch of files & bulk convert them to JPEG or TIFF.
    |
    | Yes, you can tag a group of files in Zoombrowser and open them, but
    | then you have to manually save them as jpegs, and the window they open
    | in from Zoombrowser has a temp file name, so it's fairly inconvenient
    | if you wanted to convert a bunch of raw files to jpeg and keep the
    | same file name (other than the extension)
    |
    | I'll check out BreezeBrowser, thanks for the help.
    |
    | Eric
    |
    | Eric Johnson
    | RF Characterization & Modeling Engineer
    | Motorola SPS, DDL, III-V Device Development

    The G3 comes with its own software. You are looking for File Viewer
    Utility. This batch converts RAW to JPG's. Use it all the time without
    problems.
    Can be downloaded from the G3 website.
    HTH
    Brian--