Re: Any problems with AVG8?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Watt, May 27, 2008.

  1. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:56:39 -0700, Gualtier Malde
    <> wrote:

    >I am running Windows 2000 SP 4 and have AVG 7.5 installed. I recently renewed
    >my subscription and now AVG is urging download and installation of v 8. I am
    >writing because I think I recall someone describing some trouble with v 8, but I
    >can't find the reference.
    >
    >So: Anyone having trouble with v 8 in this environment?
    >
    >Thanks

    I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
    problems, as it means that if you open a google search
    page, it visits all the links.

    However it can be turned off, although the tray icon
    admonishes you for it with a little red exclamation.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 27, 2008

  2. Jim Watt

    Beachcomber Guest

    >I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
    >problems, as it means that if you open a google search
    >page, it visits all the links.
    >
    >However it can be turned off, although the tray icon
    >admonishes you for it with a little red exclamation.
    >--
    >Jim Watt
    >http://www.gibnet.com

    My PC is about 4 years old and I just installed the free version of
    AVG 8.

    I'm very displeased with the speed reduction. Whatever new features
    there are seem to have slowed down the browser to the point where it
    is not usable. Browser pages take longer to load and e-mail was
    noticably slower as well.

    I had to disable the autoload of AVG from the system tray because I
    just couldn't stand it anymore. I'm one of those who had used the
    previous freeware version of AVG for years without any problems.

    This new version seems to have a stanglehold over system resources
    unless perhaps, your computer is one of the newest and fastest models
    or perhaps the PAY version works better.

    Anyone know for sure? Anyone else see the slowdown?

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, May 28, 2008

  3. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:

    > I'm very displeased with the speed reduction. Whatever new features
    > there are seem to have slowed down the browser to the point where it
    > is not usable. Browser pages take longer to load and e-mail was
    > noticably slower as well.

    Maybe you should disable the web and mail scanning proxy? As any competent
    person would do?

    Sebastian G., May 28, 2008
  4. Jim Watt

    jc Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:56:39 -0700, Gualtier Malde
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Windows 2000 SP 4 and have AVG 7.5 installed. I recently renewed
    >> my subscription and now AVG is urging download and installation of v 8. I am
    >> writing because I think I recall someone describing some trouble with v 8, but I
    >> can't find the reference.
    >>
    >> So: Anyone having trouble with v 8 in this environment?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I dislike the feature where it checks website pages for
    > problems, as it means that if you open a google search
    > page, it visits all the links.

    That's an interesting idea. Probably not as effective as safe surfing
    and blocking scripts, but maybe with a whitelist it could be feasible.

    jc

    jc, May 28, 2008
  5. Jim Watt

    David James Guest

    I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
    but I only use it as a back up.

    David James, May 28, 2008
  6. Jim Watt

    jc Guest

    David James wrote:
    > I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
    > but I only use it as a back up.

    It sounds like they got ambitious but also got hit by a deadline. You
    might wait for 8.1 to be released.

    jc

    jc, May 29, 2008
  7. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <>
    wrote:

    >I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and crashing,
    >but I only use it as a back up.

    Then turn the feature off !
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 29, 2008
  8. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and
    >>crashing, but I only use it as a back up.

    > Then turn the feature off !

    Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
    that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

    Klunk, May 29, 2008
  9. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Klunk wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
    > writing:
    >
    >> On 28 May 2008 17:48:40 GMT, David James <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm having issues on my windoze box with it scanning emails and
    >>> crashing, but I only use it as a back up.

    >> Then turn the feature off !

    > Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
    > that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

    Actually this would be the best choice, since aside from introducing local
    privilege escalation vulnerabilities such virus scanners are pretty useless.
    Why not try ClamWin which works as an unprivileged process, combined with
    WinSnoop which triggers scan activity on FileChangeNotifications?

    Sebastian G., May 29, 2008
  10. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:52:35 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Klunk wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:14:07 +0200, Jim Watt passed an empty day by
    >> writing:

    >>> Then turn the feature off !

    >> Why not just shut the whole package off on that logic and get something
    >> that works - you stupid trolling f**kwit

    > Actually this would be the best choice, since aside from introducing
    > local privilege escalation vulnerabilities such virus scanners are
    > pretty useless. Why not try ClamWin which works as an unprivileged
    > process, combined with WinSnoop which triggers scan activity on
    > FileChangeNotifications?

    Can't find any info on WinSnoop even google lets me down, got a link?

    Klunk, May 29, 2008
  11. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Klunk wrote:

    > Can't find any info on WinSnoop even google lets me down, got a link?

    Argh, it should read "WinPooch". Though it does not only use change
    notifications, but also some IAT hooking. :-/

    Sebastian G., May 29, 2008
  12. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:53:53 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Klunk wrote:
    >

    >> Can't find any info on WinSnoop even google lets me down, got a link?

    > Argh, it should read "WinPooch". Though it does not only use change
    > notifications, but also some IAT hooking. :-/

    WinPooch just locks the machine up so I'll give that a miss. Tried it on
    my test image and on a virgin XP Pro box I keep for testing. It's pants.

    Klunk, May 29, 2008
  13. Jim Watt

    Beachcomber Guest

    For me, the old AVG worked pretty good and I was happy to recommend it
    as a primary virus protection program for a PC.

    This new Version 8.0 is invasive of system resources and slows my 4
    year old PC down considerably, especially during simple browsing on
    IE.

    It appears to call up other web sites in the background just to check
    the validity of links on whatever page I call up. Yes, I know I can
    disable this and other features, but even when I shut down AVG on
    startup, it seems that there are processes running in the background
    that interfer with IE and either slow it down or make it hang.

    When they fix it, I'll be happy to start using it again. Virus
    protection is a good thing.

    I just don't have the time to experiment with every single setting
    (and by default), it seems that every single resource-consuming check
    is turned on when you install it.

    Just my experience with AVG 8.0, so far...

    Beachcomber, May 29, 2008
  14. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Klunk wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:53:53 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    > writing:
    >
    >> Klunk wrote:
    >>

    >>> Can't find any info on WinSnoop even google lets me down, got a link?

    >> Argh, it should read "WinPooch". Though it does not only use change
    >> notifications, but also some IAT hooking. :-/

    > WinPooch just locks the machine up so I'll give that a miss.

    How could it lock up the machine? Unless it accidentially triggers a local
    unprivileged DoS condition, which in turn would mean that you should analyze
    the issue and report it to Microsoft.

    Sebastian G., May 29, 2008
  15. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:

    > For me, the old AVG worked pretty good and I was happy to recommend it
    > as a primary virus protection program for a PC.

    Did I miss something? It's a virus scanner, it can't protect from viruses by
    design.

    > This new Version 8.0 is invasive of system resources and slows my 4
    > year old PC down considerably, especially during simple browsing on
    > IE.

    WTF? You want security, yet you're abusing MSIE as a webbrowser?

    Sebastian G., May 29, 2008
  16. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:13:45 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Klunk wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:53:53 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    >> writing:

    >>> Argh, it should read "WinPooch". Though it does not only use change
    >>> notifications, but also some IAT hooking. :-/

    >> WinPooch just locks the machine up so I'll give that a miss.

    > How could it lock up the machine? Unless it accidentially triggers a
    > local unprivileged DoS condition, which in turn would mean that you
    > should analyze the issue and report it to Microsoft.

    Who have said it is sloppy third party coding. Next ?

    Klunk, May 29, 2008
  17. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Klunk wrote:

    >> How could it lock up the machine? Unless it accidentially triggers a
    >> local unprivileged DoS condition, which in turn would mean that you
    >> should analyze the issue and report it to Microsoft.

    > Who have said it is sloppy third party coding. Next ?

    Find out when and where you've broken your machine.

    Sebastian G., May 29, 2008
  18. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:59:29 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Klunk wrote:
    >

    >>> How could it lock up the machine? Unless it accidentially triggers a
    >>> local unprivileged DoS condition, which in turn would mean that you
    >>> should analyze the issue and report it to Microsoft.

    >> Who have said it is sloppy third party coding. Next ?

    > Find out when and where you've broken your machine.

    I have, it was on installation of the Winpooch. Running a number of
    Sysinternals tools shows it right up. Process Explorer for one shows it
    maxing out. Next?

    Klunk, May 30, 2008
  19. Jim Watt

    Sebastian G. Guest

    Klunk wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:59:29 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    > writing:

    >>> Who have said it is sloppy third party coding. Next ?

    >> Find out when and where you've broken your machine.

    > I have, it was on installation of the Winpooch. Running a number of
    > Sysinternals tools shows it right up. Process Explorer for one shows it
    > maxing out. Next?

    OK, and now *where* have you broken it? What changed ACL or configuration
    setting made Winpooch trigger your machine lockup? After all, without such
    change by you, locking up the machine wouldn't be possible.

    (Now please don't tell me you tried installing and running it with admin
    privileges...)

    Sebastian G., May 30, 2008
  20. Jim Watt

    Klunk Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:04:43 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Klunk wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:59:29 +0200, Sebastian G. passed an empty day by
    >> writing:

    >>> Find out when and where you've broken your machine.

    >> I have, it was on installation of the Winpooch. Running a number of
    >> Sysinternals tools shows it right up. Process Explorer for one shows it
    >> maxing out. Next?

    > OK, and now *where* have you broken it? What changed ACL or
    > configuration setting made Winpooch trigger your machine lockup? After
    > all, without such change by you, locking up the machine wouldn't be
    > possible.
    >
    > (Now please don't tell me you tried installing and running it with admin
    > privileges...)

    I think you would need to ask the author where *they* have broken it. It
    was installed with non-admin privileges and got as far as a splash
    screen, system tray icon and hung in a fashion that made Nuremberg look
    like a blip. In locking up it managed to try and stop almost *anything*
    running, with a maxing out of CPU.

    If you think that AVG8 was shit, it does not hold a torch to Winpooch.
    It's in the bin with that - but thanks for your interest. As I run Linux
    as my OS of choice (go on, have a look at all the headers to satisfy
    yourself) I don't really need to be all that concerned with a piece of
    shit wincrap that doesn't work. Perhaps if I need something to stop the
    machine working I'll put Vista on it next time for a laugh ;-)

    If you want to carry on trying to look smart for the last word go right
    ahead. I am sorry that the software you suggested was shit and didn't
    work for me. I know you are finding hard to accept and that it must hurt
    your feelings. Perhaps I can help you with that?

    Klunk, May 30, 2008