Re: Any good experiences with well-built, reliable portable hard drive units?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles M. Kozierok, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. In article <>,
    Silvio Dante <> wrote:
    } (Charles M. Kozierok) staggered into the Bada Bing and
    } slurred:
    }
    } >Are there any devices in this class that are actually well-made and
    } >trustworthy? Or should I just start accumulating extra CF cards?
    }
    } Self-service kiosks that let you transfer your images from film cards to CD
    } are supposedly popping up in shopping malls. Or bring a card reader with
    } you, rent computer time at a Kinko's or LazerQuick and burn your own CDs.
    }
    } CD burners are so cheap now that nobody should have to carry a portable
    } hard drive. You should be able to do image transfers at any Internet cafe
    } or business service place like Kinko's. They just might not have a CF card
    } reader.

    Appreciate the response, but my need for one of these toys is so I can
    shoot pictures in remote places far from kiosks or cafes. I live in a
    rural area and don't expect to see the likes of a Kinko's for many years
    unless I visit a city (which I avoid doing as much as possible... prefer
    camping, national parks and the like.. which is why I need a larger
    storage solution).

    peace,

    -*-
    charles

    Charles M. Kozierok, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Photon

    Photon Guest

    Consider the Apacer Disc Steno CP100. It is an autonomous portable CD
    Burner. It can burn from flash cards and can be connected to a PC through
    USB 2.0.

    If the price is right, I feel this is a much better solution than a portable
    hard drive. You will want to archive all you digital negs on CDs anyway, so
    why not doing it from the beginning?

    Photon, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:36:15 GMT, "Photon" <> wrote:

    >Consider the Apacer Disc Steno CP100. It is an autonomous portable CD
    >Burner. It can burn from flash cards and can be connected to a PC through
    >USB 2.0.
    >
    >If the price is right, I feel this is a much better solution than a portable
    >hard drive. You will want to archive all you digital negs on CDs anyway, so
    >why not doing it from the beginning?

    One of these was on my shortlist to take away on an 8 day trip to
    Hong Kong next week. But we've all encountered CDs which were
    unreadable at some time, and I would find it difficult going on a 2
    week holiday and returning to find even one disc unreadable. If I had
    time to try one and satisfy myself then maybe it would be a good
    option for me. I settled on an Innoplus Phototainer. It arrived today.
    It was fairly pricey though as it has a 3.4in lcd screen. This
    attracted me as I'm not very trusting and I can actually verify my
    pictures are on the drive. It will also play mp3 and wav files, as
    well as act as a portable (20G) drive. I think bigger drive versions
    may be available. The screen quality isn't particularly stunning, but
    it serves its purpose.

    MJ

    , Jul 18, 2003