Re: Anti Static Mats

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by David Hough, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. David Hough

    David Hough Guest

    The ones that I have used, we wired it to the center screw of a grounded
    wall outlet These were floor static matts, meant to discharge the
    static, right through your shoes. And they actually worked. We used
    them in retail stores, that were carpeted and in dry weather, cashiers
    were getting shocked. After we put them in the problem eazed up.
    I'd like to caution you though, regarding the wrist strap. If you are
    working on a live machine with the covers off, repairing monitors or
    power supplies. Make sure the power is GFI protected, because working
    with the wrist strap is like working barefoot in a puddle of water with
    one hand in the sink.

    David Hough, Apr 27, 2004

  2. > because working
    > with the wrist strap is like working barefoot in a puddle of water with
    > one hand in the sink.

    You get wrinkly fingers and toes?

    JM

    ---
    Jonathan Miles, Apr 29, 2004

  3. I've always wondered how those mats worked. How is it discharging ESD from
    your body if you have rubber-soled shoes on?

    Eric Strebeck, May 8, 2004
  4. Jonathan Miles, May 8, 2004