Re: Anti Spy/Virus Programmes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alan, May 10, 2009.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > mjk wrote:
    >> My Anti-Virus programme has come up for renewal. I have been using
    >> Spyware Detector and Max Registry Cleaner for the last two years and I am
    >> considering changing to something else. In the meantime I have installed
    >> the free AVG and I have also got Windows Defender. Are these any good?
    >> There is the option to buy an AVG susbcription. Why would I want to
    >> subscribe if the free version does the job? Or does the subscripted
    >> version give better protection? I have read various reviews but it is
    >> difficult to know which are the best programmes. They all sound good but
    >> are the reviews reliable? Any recommendation would be appreciated.
    >> Many thanks.

    > AVG free is still considered a very good application...
    > but starting a year ago or so, the update process has become a bit on the
    > slow side and many folks have been switching over to Avast.
    >
    > I have noticed that on a high speed cable connection, AVG's update it
    > quite painless...but for those of use on an economy DSL connection or dial
    > up...Avast seems to be the better choice.

    You've mentioned before that you thought the update process for AVG was slow
    for folks on "economy DSL" or dial-up. I'm "economy DSL" from ATT and the
    usual AVG update process takes no more than one minute, download plus
    installation time.

    In fact, since the average AVG update is usually around 100 Kb, I find it
    difficult to believe that anyone, even those on a 28k dialup, would find the
    download process to be "slow". What kind of internet connection DO you
    have?

    alan, May 10, 2009

  2. alan

    philo Guest

    alan wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> mjk wrote:
    >>> My Anti-Virus programme has come up for renewal. I have been using
    >>> Spyware Detector and Max Registry Cleaner for the last two years and
    >>> I am considering changing to something else. In the meantime I have
    >>> installed the free AVG and I have also got Windows Defender. Are
    >>> these any good? There is the option to buy an AVG susbcription. Why
    >>> would I want to subscribe if the free version does the job? Or does
    >>> the subscripted version give better protection? I have read various
    >>> reviews but it is difficult to know which are the best programmes.
    >>> They all sound good but are the reviews reliable? Any
    >>> recommendation would be appreciated.
    >>> Many thanks.

    >> AVG free is still considered a very good application...
    >> but starting a year ago or so, the update process has become a bit on
    >> the slow side and many folks have been switching over to Avast.
    >>
    >> I have noticed that on a high speed cable connection, AVG's update it
    >> quite painless...but for those of use on an economy DSL connection or
    >> dial up...Avast seems to be the better choice.

    > You've mentioned before that you thought the update process for AVG was
    > slow for folks on "economy DSL" or dial-up. I'm "economy DSL" from ATT
    > and the usual AVG update process takes no more than one minute, download
    > plus installation time.
    >
    > In fact, since the average AVG update is usually around 100 Kb, I find
    > it difficult to believe that anyone, even those on a 28k dialup, would
    > find the download process to be "slow". What kind of internet
    > connection DO you have?

    I have a low priced DSL...though faster than dial-up for sure...
    no where near as good as cable.

    After struggling with AVG updates ...as many as twenty tries...
    to get it updated I finally gave up and went with Avast

    My GF, where she works has a cable connection and has kept AVG...where
    it works fine.

    Though I am sure my problem has a lot to do with my ISP...
    for me at least, AVG did not cut it

    philo, May 10, 2009

  3. alan

    rd Guest

    ">> "philo" <> wrote in message

    > My GF, where she works has a cable connection and has kept AVG...where it
    > works fine.

    Yea but at work she's using the paid version. Right?

    rd, May 11, 2009