Re: Another ubuntu failure

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. In message <4bb59751$>, ofn01 wrote:

    > So I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a couple of years now on a Dell laptop
    > (I dare not upgrade after all the jumping through hoops to get it setup
    > just right).

    You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if you
    don’t like the upgrade?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Apr 2, 11:20 pm, "ofn01" <> wrote:
    > It literally isn't worth the effort. Everything I need the 8.10 install to
    > do it does, just.

    Although the support updates for 8.10 stop at the end of this month.

    BTW, F-Spot always worked properly with my phone (a low end Nokia) on
    8.10 and 9.04.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 2, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 02/04/10 23:20, ofn01 wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro"<_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In message<4bb59751$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a couple of years now on a Dell laptop
    >>> (I dare not upgrade after all the jumping through hoops to get it setup
    >>> just right).

    >> You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if you
    >> don't like the upgrade?

    > It literally isn't worth the effort. Everything I need the 8.10 install to
    > do it does, just. The phone thing was a nice to have - but it works like a
    > charm on the windows machine so why bother with the effort of tinkering with
    > open source gimmicks.

    You can make a partition for the new OS and link over your home
    directory, if you want to keep your old version working.

    My kids transfer photos off their phones onto Ubuntu netbooks and upload
    thenm to their Facebook accounts, so it can't be that hard.

    victor, Apr 2, 2010
  4. In message <4bb5c9a0$>, ofn01 wrote:

    >> In message <4bb59751$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a couple of years now on a Dell
    >>> laptop (I dare not upgrade after all the jumping through hoops to get it
    >>> setup just right).

    >> You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if
    >> you don't like the upgrade?

    > It literally isn't worth the effort.

    Don’t be bloody stupid. All that work of “jumping through hoopsâ€, and the
    result isn’t worth saving?

    At least make a backup of your /etc directory.

    > Everything I need the 8.10 install to do it does, just.

    Then what the hell are you complaining about?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2010
  5. In message <hp4i43$dr9$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > You can make a partition for the new OS and link over your home
    > directory, if you want to keep your old version working.

    Or put your /home directory into its own partition to begin with.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-04-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <4bb59751$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >
    >> So I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a couple of years now on a Dell laptop
    >> (I dare not upgrade after all the jumping through hoops to get it setup
    >> just right).

    > You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if you
    > don’t like the upgrade?

    installation is what you one has after an install yes?

    Gordon, Apr 5, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-04-02, ofn01 <> wrote:

    >> In message <4bb59751$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 for a couple of years now on a Dell laptop
    >>> (I dare not upgrade after all the jumping through hoops to get it setup
    >>> just right).

    >> You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if you
    >> don't like the upgrade?

    > It literally isn't worth the effort. Everything I need the 8.10 install to
    > do it does, just. The phone thing was a nice to have - but it works like a
    > charm on the windows machine so why bother with the effort of tinkering with
    > open source gimmicks.

    I have just checked and Ms Peguin has founf that that both the pot and
    kettle are black. I pointed out that she was was mostly this colour and she
    went fishing.

    See you have a choice, let us keep it this way, alternatives to Ms Windows
    view are allowed, OK!

    Gordon, Apr 5, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-04-02, victor <> wrote:
    > On 02/04/10 23:20, ofn01 wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro"<_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> You realize you can back up your existing install, and restore that if you
    >>> don't like the upgrade?

    >> It literally isn't worth the effort. Everything I need the 8.10 install to
    >> do it does, just. The phone thing was a nice to have - but it works like a
    >> charm on the windows machine so why bother with the effort of tinkering with
    >> open source gimmicks.
    >>

    > You can make a partition for the new OS and link over your home
    > directory, if you want to keep your old version working.
    >
    > My kids transfer photos off their phones onto Ubuntu netbooks and upload
    > thenm to their Facebook accounts, so it can't be that hard.

    Indeed.

    Thank you Ms Windows for thinking that the Internet was just a fad.

    The web must be free to all, no matter which platform one rides upon.

    Gordon, Apr 5, 2010