Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wally, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 23:36:10 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >Given the wide variety of sensor sizes, wouldn't it be better if the
    >EXIF of a photo contained also the angle of view information? The focal
    >length of the lens is not really that important, actually it is quite
    >irrelevant.

    Yes, it would be useful to have the angle of view. But there could be
    arguments on whether it should be the diagonal or horizontal or
    vertical angle of view.

    It might be better to standardize on the SLOPE -- the ratio of the
    focal length to the sensor width. Thus for a 400mm lens on a Canon
    APS-C sensor, the value would be 400/22.2 = 18. The result, 18, is a
    useful number. It gives you easily the shooting distance for a
    subject, thus 18 feet for a 1 foot subject, 36 ft for a 2 ft
    subject... yes, 18 meters for a 1 meter subject.

    We still need the focal length to calculate DOF.

    Wally
    Wally, Oct 3, 2012