Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Taylor, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    On 03/10/2012 09:19, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Floyd L. Davidson says...
    >> I take you are unaware that there is indeed an EXIF
    >> field for the field of view in degrees. At least Nikon
    >> and Canon both provide that data.
    >>
    >> Examples:
    >>
    >> Camera Model Name : NIKON D3S
    >> Field Of View : 72.7 deg (1.96 m)
    >> Focal Length : 24.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24.0 mm)
    >>
    >> Camera Model Name : NIKON D4
    >> Field Of View : 68.5 deg (2.04 m)
    >> Focal Length : 24.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 26.0 mm)
    >>
    >> Camera Model Name : NIKON D800
    >> Focal Length : 800.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 800.0 mm)
    >> Field Of View : 2.5 deg (2.09 m)
    >>
    >> Camera Model Name : Canon EOS 60D
    >> Focal Length : 50.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 78.6 mm)
    >> Field Of View : 25.8 deg

    > Interesting. Which cameras support this field?
    >
    > And is there a difference between field of view and angle of view?

    The EXIF Viewer here:

    http://regex.info/exif.cgi

    based on Phil Harvey's EXIF Tool shows Field Of View as a derived field
    (not in the EXIF data), and it is available for my Nikon D5000 and my
    iPad3, but not for my Sony HX200V.

    I don't think there is any difference in the terms - both should refer
    to the diagonal field of view. Perhaps modern usage is different?
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Oct 3, 2012