Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 3/10/2012 7:36 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Given the wide variety of sensor sizes, wouldn't it be better if the
    > EXIF of a photo contained also the angle of view information? The focal
    > length of the lens is not really that important, actually it is quite
    > irrelevant.

    I have never though in angle of view with my DX format Nikons always in
    focal length.

    I'm aware of the angles of my 16mm and 20mm lenses that's all, but if
    you ask, I could not tell you, what the angles were for the rest of my
    lenses.

    It would be a stupid idea to know what the angle of view was for a 300mm
    or 500 mm lens. How would you replicate back to what lens you used.

    Things are in mm not angles.
    Rob, Oct 3, 2012

  2. Rob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:53:10 AM UTC+1, Rob wrote:
    > On 3/10/2012 7:36 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    > > Given the wide variety of sensor sizes, wouldn't it be better if the

    > > EXIF of a photo contained also the angle of view information? The focal

    > > length of the lens is not really that important, actually it is quite

    > > irrelevant.

    > I have never though in angle of view with my DX format Nikons always in
    >
    > focal length.

    That's the culture, I used to think of film speeds in ISO terms as I borought CT18 & CT21 film from agfa.

    For years even in the UK our focal lenghs were in mm but before 1971 ???????

    Why in the USA do you use mm when everythig else is imperial ?
    I'd have thought a 'standard' lens in the US would have a focal lenght of 2 inches NOT 50mmm ;-)

    > I'm aware of the angles of my 16mm and 20mm lenses that's all, but if
    >
    > you ask, I could not tell you, what the angles were for the rest of my
    >
    > lenses.

    I'm not sure I'd find it more difficult to remmember 76 & 60 over 16 & 20
    same number of digits .

    > It would be a stupid idea to know what the angle of view was for a 300mm
    >
    > or 500 mm lens. How would you replicate back to what lens you used.

    well I know the sun and moon are about 1/2 degree .

    How one would work out what lens to use when photographing a pair of royal tits at a distance I'm not sure.....

    > Things are in mm not angles.

    They are just engraving on the lens barrel, you could replace those with almost anything, mm inches, feet, even furlongs or micro-furlongs, it's just a refernce point.
    But if you knew the tits we X disatnce apart and the distance from them to the camera you can calculate the angle needed to fill the frame, but hwo would you know which lens to choose ?

    Of if someone said to you I want a picture of this bill board and it's 15ft across but there's a fence so you can't get closer than 100 metres to it
    , if you could only take one lens (not a zoom) what would you choose ?

    You;d also have to change the lens depending on sensor size but if you knew the angle of view then you'll be able to choose the correct lens.
    Whisky-dave, Oct 3, 2012

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 14/10/2012 10:50 AM, rwalker wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 04:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> That's the culture, I used to think of film speeds in ISO terms as I borought CT18 & CT21 film from agfa.
    >>
    >> For years even in the UK our focal lenghs were in mm but before 1971 ???????
    >>
    >> Why in the USA do you use mm when everythig else is imperial ?
    >> I'd have thought a 'standard' lens in the US would have a focal lenght of 2 inches NOT 50mmm ;-)

    > Because we don't use imperial for everything. We use an odd mix.
    > Perscription drugs, soft drinks, wine and liquour are all sold in
    > metric units. Lenses are measured in mm. Distances are miles,
    > weights for most things are in lbs. and ounces, but again for
    > perscription drugs and other materials, weights are metric. Nuts and
    > bolts are as likely to be measured in mm. as in inches. Automobile
    > engine displacement in all modern engines are measured in liters.

    And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.
    Rob, Oct 14, 2012
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 14/10/2012 7:02 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:00:26 +1100, Rob <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/10/2012 10:50 AM, rwalker wrote:

    >>> Because we don't use imperial for everything. We use an odd mix.
    >>> Perscription drugs, soft drinks, wine and liquour are all sold in
    >>> metric units. Lenses are measured in mm. Distances are miles,
    >>> weights for most things are in lbs. and ounces, but again for
    >>> perscription drugs and other materials, weights are metric. Nuts and
    >>> bolts are as likely to be measured in mm. as in inches. Automobile
    >>> engine displacement in all modern engines are measured in liters.
    >>>

    >> And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

    > I have a number of containers calibrated in real gallons. For some
    > reason I'm always short-changed when I buy from someone who uses US
    > gallons.

    Correct but they did change the size of the gallon because they could
    not reduce the tax. that was after the English invaded the US.
    Rob, Oct 14, 2012
  5. On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:00:26 +1100, Rob <> wrote:

    >And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

    What, them pissy little American gallons?
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Oct 14, 2012
  6. On 10/14/2012 4:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-14 12:57:51 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:

    >>> Correct but they did change the size of the gallon because they could
    >>> not reduce the tax. that was after the English invaded the US.

    >> I think there was an element of rationalisation. An Imperial gallon of
    >> fresh water weighs 10 lbs which makes 1 Imperial pint weigh 1.25 lbs.
    >> A US gallon weighs 8 lbs which makes 1 US pint weigh 1 lb.

    > Not if you use fluid ounces. 16 fluid ounces = 1 US pint; 1 US Gallon =
    > 128 fluid ounces, and 1 Imp. Gallon = 153.72159 fluid ounces.

    Surely, that's obfuscation since fluid ounces are defined differently.
    One fluid ounce (US) is 29.5737 cubic centimeters
    One fluid ounce (British) is 28.4130 cc
    Eight pints make a gallon in both US and British measure but a pint (US)
    is 16 fluid ounces (US) and a British pint is 20 fl. oz (British)

    Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
    4,546.08 cc.
    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Oct 14, 2012
  7. On 10/14/2012 4:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 10/14/2012 4:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> I think there was an element of rationalisation. An Imperial gallon of
    >>> fresh water weighs 10 lbs which makes 1 Imperial pint weigh 1.25 lbs.
    >>> A US gallon weighs 8 lbs which makes 1 US pint weigh 1 lb.

    >> Not if you use fluid ounces. 16 fluid ounces = 1 US pint; 1 US Gallon =
    >> 128 fluid ounces, and 1 Imp. Gallon = 153.72159 fluid ounces.
    >>

    > Surely, that's obfuscation since fluid ounces are defined differently.
    > One fluid ounce (US) is 29.5737 cubic centimeters
    > One fluid ounce (British) is 28.4130 cc
    > Eight pints make a gallon in both US and British measure but a pint (US)
    > is 16 fluid ounces (US) and a British pint is 20 fl. oz (British)
    >
    > Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
    > 4,546.08 cc.

    Can I just add a very important statistic, a standard beer bottle (12
    oz) contains 354.88 cc in the US and the British are cheated at 340.96
    cc, tho' for a pint of beer (unusual in the US), Americans get 473.18 cc
    and British get 568.26 cc.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Oct 14, 2012
  8. Rob

    Huuter Guest

    On 2012.10.14 17:55 , Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <k5f8j8$dje$>, James Silverton says...
    >> Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
    >> 4,546.08 cc.

    > Interesting. How much is a gallon of gasoline in the USA right now?

    Recently over $5 in some areas (notably CA which has two major
    refineries in major repair state and the rest in transition to "winter"
    blend.)
    Huuter, Oct 14, 2012
  9. On 10/14/2012 5:55 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <k5f8j8$dje$>, James Silverton says...
    >> Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
    >> 4,546.08 cc.

    > Interesting. How much is a gallon of gasoline in the USA right now?

    Pushing $4 for regular at the moment.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Oct 15, 2012
  10. On 10/14/2012 6:44 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.10.14 16:51 , James Silverton wrote:
    >
    >> Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
    >> 4,546.08 cc.

    > "cc" is not used to describe liquid measure. Use "ml" (millilitres").
    >
    > And for the volumes and accuracies you're using, one would use litres.
    >
    > And it's not a "British" gallon, but an "Imperial" gallon.
    >
    > eg: 4.54608 litres/Imp. Gal.

    Pedantic, any base unit will do for the comparisons even if the ml is
    normal in scientific use. What Empire, who uses British gallons these
    days except the British?

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Oct 15, 2012
  11. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:43:50 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-14 15:39:56 -0700, Huuter <> said:
    >
    >> On 2012.10.14 17:55 , Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> In article <k5f8j8$dje$>, James Silverton says...
    >>>
    >>> Interesting. How much is a gallon of gasoline in the USA right now?

    >> Recently over $5 in some areas (notably CA which has two major
    >> refineries in major repair state and the rest in transition to "winter"
    >> blend.)

    >My current price (Today) in Paso Robles CA, is $4.55 ($1.20/Lt.) for
    >regular and $4.75 ($1.25/Lt.) for Premium.

    There is no answer for "the USA". Gas prices vary by state and by
    county within the state.

    In this area, as low as $3.49 a gallon if I check this site and go to
    one of the stations on this list. $3.65 at the station closest to me.
    Gas prices change daily, though.

    Costco is usually my best buy. Costco accepts only American Express
    credit cards. (Which I have) The Raceway just up the street from
    Costco usually is within a penny or two of Costco's price.

    http://www.orlandogasprices.com/
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 15, 2012
  12. Rob

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:55:27 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-14 19:38:37 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:43:50 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> My current price (Today) in Paso Robles CA, is $4.55 ($1.20/Lt.) for
    >>> regular and $4.75 ($1.25/Lt.) for Premium.

    >> There is no answer for "the USA". Gas prices vary by state and by
    >> county within the state.

    >You are telling me that?

    No, I'm telling Alfred Molon that. I didn't pay attention to his
    post, but caught up when you replied.

    It did seem that Alfred could understand your reply to mean "the USA"
    since many foreigns don't understand the situation here.

    tony cooper, Oct 15, 2012
  13. Rob

    Bruce Guest

    James Silverton <> wrote:

    >What Empire, who uses British gallons these
    >days except the British?

    We haven't used gallons in Britain for many years.
    Bruce, Oct 15, 2012
  14. Rob

    Bruce Guest

    Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:06:55 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>James Silverton <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What Empire, who uses British gallons these
    >>>days except the British?

    >>We haven't used gallons in Britain for many years.

    >Yet you still use miles per hour.

    Yes, we use miles on the road but we buy our fuel in litres. We can
    still buy a pint of milk (568 ml), although most milk is now sold in
    litre containers, and a pint of beer. But just about everything else
    is metric. Everything that was a gallon is now sold in 4 or 5 litre
    containers.
    Bruce, Oct 15, 2012
  15. Rob

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 15/10/2012 10:19, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:06:55 +0100, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> James Silverton <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What Empire, who uses British gallons these
    >>> days except the British?

    >> We haven't used gallons in Britain for many years.

    > Yet you still use miles per hour.

    Speedos these days are calibrated in both mph and kph. Odometers in the
    UK are strictly calibrated miles only as are all street signs.

    Yes, changing all the street signs is viewed as an unnecessary expense.

    I find fuel consumption in the wonderfully hybrid units of miles/litre
    very convenient for mental arithmetic. YMMV

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Oct 15, 2012
  16. Rob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:45:21 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-14 00:25:19 -0700, rwalker <> said:

    > >> And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

    > > Right.

    > > And milk is sold by the quart, but wine by the liter. Go figure.

    > ...and then there are the 1 & 2 liter bottles of soda.

    And you can't even spell litre correctly ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Oct 15, 2012
  17. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On 16/10/2012 7:23 PM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > Savageduck wrote:
    >>
    >> Not if you use fluid ounces. 16 fluid ounces = 1 US pint; 1 US Gallon
    >> = 128 fluid ounces, and 1 Imp. Gallon = 153.72159 fluid ounces.

    > The imp. gallon in the USA must be different to the UK one which == 160
    > fluid ounces. (1 pint = 20 ounces 1 gallon = 8 pints).

    The US gallon is not an Imperial Gallon
    Rob, Oct 16, 2012
  18. Rob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, October 15, 2012 5:20:00 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-15 03:28:21 -0700, Whisky-dave <> said:

    > >> ...and then there are the 1 & 2 liter bottles of soda.

    > > And you can't even spell litre correctly ;-)

    > ...and you just pound away on the keyboard without any thought to
    >
    > correct spelling on either side of the pond.

    Does your DSLR have a metre or a meter in it, could be quite important ;-)

    The point is that spelling such a word differntly can mean a differnt things where as a type-o or spelling mistake is more easily detected by a human.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 16, 2012
  19. Rob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, October 15, 2012 9:57:51 PM UTC+1, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.10.14 20:52 , James Silverton wrote:

    > >> "cc" is not used to describe liquid measure. Use "ml" (millilitres").

    > >> And for the volumes and accuracies you're using, one would use litres.

    > >> And it's not a "British" gallon, but an "Imperial" gallon.

    > >> eg: 4.54608 litres/Imp. Gal.

    > > Pedantic, any base unit will do for the comparisons even if the ml is

    > > normal in scientific use.

    > Perhaps pedantic to bring it up but it _is_ the way that volume of
    >
    > liquids is described.
    >

    > > What Empire, who uses British gallons these

    > > days except the British?

    > Britain sells gas by the litre, actually, and have for some time.

    I thpought it was teh cubic metre multiplied by the calorific value and that gives you the price owed.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 16, 2012
  20. On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 02:12:06 -0400, rwalker <>
    wrote:

    >>>And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

    >>What, them pissy little American gallons?

    >Who'd want a gallon of piss?

    Tanners?

    This thread contains a useful explanation as to why the difference
    came about. I'd been mildly curious about that, for years.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Oct 16, 2012