Re: Angle of view instead of focal length

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ray, Oct 3, 2012.

  1. ray

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 23:36:10 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > Given the wide variety of sensor sizes, wouldn't it be better if the
    > EXIF of a photo contained also the angle of view information? The focal
    > length of the lens is not really that important, actually it is quite
    > irrelevant.

    Your point is well taken, but usually there is the actual focal length
    and a '35mm equivalent'. Personally, I think I'd rather see focal length
    divided by diagonal of the sensor. Then I'd know that 1.0 means it's a
    'normal' view, less than 1.0 is 'wide angle' and greater than 1.0
    'telephoto' and it would also give the magnification.

    ray, Oct 3, 2012