Re: Angel Season 2 - okay, is it really 1.33:1 or WS???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by DVDHelp.us, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. DVDHelp.us

    DVDHelp.us Guest

    On 29 Aug 2003, "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> spake thusly, as
    shown in news::

    > "Full Frame 1.78:1"
    >
    > Uuuuhhhhhhh... now does that mean that is in Widescreen,
    > or is this a goof up by Fox (anyone remember the 2 disc
    > for "Cast Away" quoted 2.35:1 for its ratio yet its 1.85:1).
    > After all, usually "full frame" is 1.33:1, right?

    Full frame is typically 1.33:1.

    Widescreen is typically 1.85:1.

    However, there are a number of other aspect ratios that aren't very well
    known. (Note my reply elsewhere in this thread.)

    2.35:1 is actually a fairly standard widescreen format. This will have mega
    bars at the top and bottom of a regular TV screen. We usually refer to this
    as the "ultrasquish" AR. <G>

    --
    Jake

    Webmaster
    http://www.dvdhelp.us

    Usenet service for heavy downloaders:
    http://kickme.to/giganews

    DVDHelp.us, Sep 3, 2003

  2. In news:,
    DVDHelp.us <> said in a panic:
    > On 29 Aug 2003, "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> spake
    > thusly, as shown in news::
    >
    >> "Full Frame 1.78:1"
    >>
    >> Uuuuhhhhhhh... now does that mean that is in Widescreen,
    >> or is this a goof up by Fox (anyone remember the 2 disc
    >> for "Cast Away" quoted 2.35:1 for its ratio yet its 1.85:1).
    >> After all, usually "full frame" is 1.33:1, right?

    > Full frame is typically 1.33:1.
    >
    > Widescreen is typically 1.85:1.
    >
    > However, there are a number of other aspect ratios that aren't very
    > well known. (Note my reply elsewhere in this thread.)
    >
    > 2.35:1 is actually a fairly standard widescreen format. This will
    > have mega bars at the top and bottom of a regular TV screen. We
    > usually refer to this as the "ultrasquish" AR. <G>

    Uhhh.. I know this already. What does this have to do with my
    question in general I have no idea.....

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 3, 2003

  3. DVDHelp.us

    Richard C. Guest

    "DVDHelp.us" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Full frame is typically 1.33:1.

    ======================
    Except when it is filmed with an anamorphic lens.
    Full Screen USED to be 1.33:1.
    ======================
    :
    : Widescreen is typically 1.85:1.

    =========================
    Or 1.66:1 or 2.35:1 or 2.40:1, etc......
    ============================
    :
    : However, there are a number of other aspect ratios that aren't very well
    : known. (Note my reply elsewhere in this thread.)
    :
    : 2.35:1 is actually a fairly standard widescreen format. This will have mega
    : bars at the top and bottom of a regular TV screen. We usually refer to this
    : as the "ultrasquish" AR. <G>

    =================
    There is no "squishing" about it.........................
    By the way......"regular" is now 1.78:1

    Richard C., Sep 4, 2003
  4. DVDHelp.us

    Mark Spatny Guest

    DVDHelp.us, says...

    > Full frame is typically 1.33:1.

    If you had read through the rest of the thread before replying, you
    would have noted that the specified "full frame 1.78:1" means that it is
    full frame FOR A 16x9 TV SET.

    It is an accurate technical spec, although perhaps misued in this case,
    as it usually means a 2.35:1 movie that is pan&scanned to 16x9 for a
    High Definition video transfer.

    Mark Spatny, Sep 4, 2003